Sponsored

Winter storage

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I wouldn't take mine out of storage simply based off of how many potholes there currently are. It's really bad this year.
Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
My fun car goes to sleep in November and wakes up in April. The roads where I live are not fit for a car like that in winter. I have a 4WD SUV with snow tires for winter roads, I get a new one every 2 years. We get insurance discounts for snow tires, we should also get them for having a proper winter car. I used to ice race so I know how to drive fast on very low grip road surfaces. But I'm not an idiot either, spent 22 years in law enforcement hauling people out of situations they created by their own stupidity such a driving on junk tires in winter. A Mustang is not a fit car for winter roads in this neck of the woods, if you value your life. Your car, your life, your choice.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Took my Mustang out for a drive yesterday,was 87* with a low of 69*,was also sunny,was kinda worried about getting bird poop on it, with all the birds in the air.:headbang:

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
My fun car goes to sleep in November and wakes up in April. The roads where I live are not fit for a car like that in winter. I have a 4WD SUV with snow tires for winter roads, I get a new one every 2 years. We get insurance discounts for snow tires, we should also get them for having a proper winter car. I used to ice race so I know how to drive fast on very low grip road surfaces. But I'm not an idiot either, spent 22 years in law enforcement hauling people out of situations they created by their own stupidity such a driving on junk tires in winter. A Mustang is not a fit car for winter roads in this neck of the woods, if you value your life. Your car, your life, your choice.
I don't get it why a 4WD is better in winter, except to take off. How people manage to drive before AWD ?. First cars we see here in the field are SUV AWD.
People needs to drive with their head, it dosen t matter if you have FWD, RWD, or 400 HP plus

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I don't get it why a 4WD is better in winter, except to take off. How people manage to drive before AWD ?. First cars we see here in the field are SUV AWD.
People needs to drive with their head, it dosen t matter if you have FWD, RWD, or 400 HP plus
Seriously? Better overall control in everything but braking. Much less likely to get stuck in deeper snow. People survived before AWD, but people also survived before penicillin, doesn’t mean that we’re not better off with penicillin!

Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
The stuff they put down in Ontario is aweful. There is a reason you don't see many old vehicles still on the road. The stuff they spray on the 400 series highways is even worse than the rock salt. If you plan to own it long term is keep it parked if that was your original plan.

Deeplakes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
17 GT/CS Convertible
Ontario salt is monstrous, alien like and it will find your nicely wrapped car even if you don’t drive it all winter.

Look at its evil tentacles trying to find a way in.

39616190734_938db307ae_c.jpg

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
When I leave for work at 2:00 or 3:00 am,, and it snowed the day before, Minn, has a real good plowing corp. however they are not that good, I drive for a living, and need to get to work in almost any kind of weather, and that's why my G35X can handle NON-plowed roads with ease! I usually pass people in this car in any conditions, its actually quite a good sedan!!

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
My cars been stored since mid december and I'm very tempted to take it out now.. There is still salt on the roads and my car is sparkly clean. Should I take it out???

I don't know what to do someone help me :frusty::frusty:

Its too cold to give it another wash so I would have to park it as if (if it gets a little dirty)

Please note I live in Toronto Canada, weather is close to 0 degrees Celsius and it's warm enough to drive but not wash at home!
I'm in Toronto too and was wondering the same thing. Taking it out middle of March. Hope we don't get another snowfall.

Sponsored

Skeester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang ecoboost
You Toronto guys crack me up. I have driven across Michigan to your city a couple times this winter in my ecoboost and it has been fine. Snow tires is all you need. These new mustangs drive quite well in the snow. Easily as good as my previous BMWs.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
You Toronto guys crack me up. I have driven across Michigan to your city a couple times this winter in my ecoboost and it has been fine. Snow tires is all you need. These new mustangs drive quite well in the snow. Easily as good as my previous BMWs.
I don't think thats the concern. The concern is your car rotting away from the obscene use of salt and other de-icing chemicals used in Ontario. I believe Michigan is the same. If you don't keep your car more than 5 years though, you probably aren't worried about such things.

Deeplakes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
17 GT/CS Convertible
I grew up driving rear wheel drive cars here in Ontario including a 67 & 73 Mustang, never had snow tires on any car I own, that's not the reason I store mine for the winter.

The salt when driving on the highway completely covers the car top to bottom back to front and with the new liquid salt it coats the underside. That salt gets into the seams and into places it just does not wash out, then there is the amount of sand also dumped on the roads that sandblasts the front of the car and windshield and third, have you seen the way people drive, or not drive when the roads are even a little wet!!

The thing I know it will destroy in no time at all, is the convertible top.

More than happy to drive my EB Fusion with AWD in the winter.

This is what is happening to the cheap license plates from liquid salt

Last edited:

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I am in the same boat. It's not so much the salt that bothers me, it's whether it's a good idea to drive 800hp stick car on 235's on salty, cold pavement... It will spin them at around 100 in dry conditions.. And I don't always use the best judgment. I have the itch bad though.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think thats the concern. The concern is your car rotting away from the obscene use of salt and other de-icing chemicals used in Ontario. I believe Michigan is the same. If you don't keep your car more than 5 years though, you probably aren't worried about such things.

I drive my 2015 Yukon XL in Northern New Hampshire a lot.

I did rear brakes the other day and the chassis literally looks like it was salvaged from he bottom of the ocean. My 2012 Nissan Frontier with 100k on the clock that has stayed local in CT looks brand new by comparison.
Sponsored