Winter storage

Deeplakes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
17 GT/CS Convertible
Anyone who has tried to get salt out of the carpet knows.

Imagine the floor pans underneath

I have Weathertech's in my Fusion and the salt is 1/8" thick covering the bottom, also still it splash's onto the carpet, doors and sides of the consoles

IMG_20141204_090704-1-680x380.jpg
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I've known several guys that grew up / live in states where tons of snow and salt are on the road for a good amount of the year. They both drove RWD performance cars all year long. One trick they talked about, to get all the salt off the underside of the cars, was to either use a garden sprinkler (the higher pressure kind) and simply sit in under your car - moving it around every few minutes to clean off the underside OR to take a PVC pipe, add fitting on one end to connect to the hose, cap the other end off, then drill holes in the pipe and use it to toss under your car / truck to clean the salt etc off.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
Just be patient. Salt ruins cars, you can wait another month. Just start the car and let it get to operating temp while enjoying some tunes. Not exactly the same as driving, but somewhat close...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you are going to keep the car forever and you plan to never replace it, then it might be a good idea to avoid salt as much as possible. If it's a car used for transportation like most cars and you will replace it in less than 10 years I would say to just use it as a car.

That's what I do with my newer Mustang. I don't drive it on the really cold, really slippery days, but I also don't put it in a bubble.

The 1970 Mustang would be in a bubble if I had a bubble to put it in. I will probably never sell that car.

Sponsored

Deeplakes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
17 GT/CS Convertible
To be fair I believe that was a quality issue with a run of plates where the vinyl peeled off. You can get them replaced for free at MTO in most cases.

[MENTION=32548]ctandc72[/MENTION]: https://www.princessauto.com/en/det...-washer-undercarriage-water-broom/A-p8601072e
Yes this is true, but they also blamed the liquid salt on the roads as a contributing factor, even some of the improved plates are doing the same thing just not as bad.

“To improve the quality of our plates, the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services engaged the National Research Council to conduct an objective, third-party investigation of de-lamination with the expressed intent of isolating the root cause.” Flanagan explains. CityNews was only able to obtain a copy of the report through a Freedom of Information request.
The report notes that “poor sticking of the reflective sheeting onto the aluminum was observed for almost all of the samples except those of the motorcycle format.”
It goes on to find that “since the embossing step is also generating some stresses in the different layers of the reflective sheeting and since that poor sticking is taking place, the multi-layer arrangement is then prone to puncture and water penetration.”
It notes that de-icing water solutions used on roads in winter is likely to add to the corrosion, largely because of the materials used and the lamination process employed. It recommends that Trilcor contact its reflective sheet supplier and suggests “a thicker layer of adhesive material will probably help.”

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
looking to take the car ouf storage this Saturday in Toronto. Good time? No more snow and looks like most salt is off the road

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Still lots of salt in southern ontario. Try to wait until we get some good rain to wash it down.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
looking to take the car ouf storage this Saturday in Toronto. Good time? No more snow and looks like most salt is off the road
Roads are clear. The salt that remains is minimal and unless your driving in wet conditions you have nothing to worry about. I have had mine out a couple times already.

Sponsored

Skacs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
Agree, as long as the roads aren't wet you'll be fine. We're slated to get some rain next week which will help wash away the salt.
Getting ready to take mine out of storage as well!

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
Roads are clear. The salt that remains is minimal and unless your driving in wet conditions you have nothing to worry about. I have had mine out a couple times already.
Wet conditions because the salt will expand? What do I have to worry about if roads are wet? Unless you mean grip but I have all seasons until June

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Wet conditions because the salt will expand? What do I have to worry about if roads are wet? Unless you mean grip but I have all seasons until June
The thought there is that the salt gets diluted in the rainwater/runoff water. In theory you're potentially driving though saltwater bath (is the concentration high enough to matter? That's the question I guess).

Yes the roads are mostly clear, but I watch the dust cloud form as traffic drive by work and all that dust is full of sand and salt. That all ends up on the car at some point. A good rain will cut that down dramatically. That's why I'm waiting.

OP
OP
smann

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Salt is a killer but I've been driving for the past 2-3 weeks.
Now a days in my area (GTA) they spray liquid de-icer..

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT