Sponsored

Winter Storage

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
I've never stored a car for the winter. I'd like to find a place to keep it indoors, but may keep it outside under a cover. Upstate NY winters are pretty harsh. Does it make a big difference?

Also, what should be done to the car before storage?
Sponsored

volsfan0911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
General consensus seems to be change the oil, wash the car, full fuel tank, StaBil in the gas tank, check tire inflation and/or park on boards to prevent flatspotting and then put on a battery tender (trickle charger). Cover it up, cry discreetly and pray for April to hurry up and arrive. Or there's always my plan (Baltimore/DC metro): (1) put on winter tires (2) drive 365 days a year :D

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Storing outdoors is potentially problematic. Car cover can hold moisture and may accelerate corrosion. Make sure that you use an outdoor-rated cover that can breathe; using a tarp would be bad. Stationary objects left outside also become attractive to mice and other nesting rodents, so you ought to leave Decon inside it. Make sure that you don't leave anything that can freeze, expand and cause damage. I'd suggest leaving a battery tender on it regardless of in or outside (or bring the battery inside and tend it). Its probably not a bad idea to leave it on stands so that the tires don't set, but make sure that they can't sink into the ground.

Any time that I've stored a car outside for any period of time, it has come out worse off than it went in. You really are better off finding a dry indoor place to keep it, but even then it would a good idea to keep mouse poison about...

OP
OP
MUSThavaSTANG

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
General consensus seems to be change the oil, wash the car, full fuel tank, StaBil in the gas tank, check tire inflation and/or park on boards to prevent flatspotting and then put on a battery tender (trickle charger). Cover it up, cry discreetly and pray for April to hurry up and arrive. Or there's always my plan (Baltimore/DC metro): (1) put on winter tires (2) drive 365 days a year :D
I like your plan better, but I don't think it'll work so well here.

I also heard you can take the battery out.

Sponsored

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M

I also plan to store mine outside with winter tires and drive it to and from work everyday to avoid flat spotting the tires and the gas lines freezing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
FWIW, the reason I don't drive my Mustang in winter isn't due to its tractive abilities. With good snow tires on and a careful throttle foot, there's no reason it wouldn't work. Frankly, the roads here in Rochester are clear of snow for most of the winter, and on days when it is bad I could drive my SUV. Rather, the reason I store the car is because of the copious amounts of salt dealt out by the highway department. I bought my car below the Mason-Dixon, where it had winters easy, and have no intention of encouraging rust to take root. The same will be true when I order an S550.

OP
OP
MUSThavaSTANG

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
FWIW, the reason I don't drive my Mustang in winter isn't due to its tractive abilities. With good snow tires on and a careful throttle foot, there's no reason it wouldn't work. Frankly, the roads here in Rochester are clear of snow for most of the winter, and on days when it is bad I could drive my SUV. Rather, the reason I store the car is because of the copious amounts of salt dealt out by the highway department. I bought my car below the Mason-Dixon, where it had winters easy, and have no intention of encouraging rust to take root. The same will be true when I order an S550.
Yeah, salt is more the reason for me, too. I'm tempted tho. Would hate to see my baby with a coat of salt on it.