Sponsored

Winter Storage

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
I use a battery tender to keep the battery fully charged, change the oil, fill the gas tank, and add Stabil to the gas and let it sit.

What you don't want to do is start it occasionally and let it idle. This creates condensation in the exhaust and engine that doesn't fully evaporate. It's bad for the engine and causes premature rust in the exhaust.
I'm not too sure about your comment above. You should never just moth ball it as you suggest unless you really do want to work on the engine in the spring... it's not a lawnmower, it needs to be run at least every two weeks for at least 30 minutes, now it would be best to have that running on the road (you should have at least 1 day of good weather every 2 weeks) where all the systems get exercised but if you can't, you can't. As for the rust in the exhaust, lets see... block and heads aluminum, headers and entire exhaust stainless steel, nothing that can rust there, now if you mean oxidize, I could understand that but neither of these two metals do much of that either.
Sponsored

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
I'm not too sure about your comment above. You should never just moth ball it as you suggest unless you really do want to work on the engine in the spring... it's not a lawnmower, it needs to be run at least every two weeks for at least 30 minutes, now it would be best to have that running on the road (you should have at least 1 day of good weather every 2 weeks) where all the systems get exercised but if you can't, you can't. As for the rust in the exhaust, lets see... block and heads aluminum, headers and entire exhaust stainless steel, nothing that can rust there, now if you mean oxidize, I could understand that but neither of these two metals do much of that either.
Exactly man! I've parked mine for the winter almost every Mustang I've ever had and never have I had exhaust issues due to rusting from being parked. Those seals if not used will get dry and harden up. Now this doesn't happen ALL the time, but I will take my chances with the exhaust over my engine.

michformulas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium
I store my classic cars in the winter and have stored my GT Mustangs and 2011 Challenger RT in the past. I have never worried about battery tenders, disconnected my batteries, used fuel stabilizers or tried to prevent flat spots on my tires. I just change the oil and shut the key off. No issues so far. My 68 Barracuda has had the same "Econo Power" battery in it since I got it 10 years ago. I put the battery charger on it for a while before I take it out of storage, start it up and after you drive it a couple miles the tires are perfectly round.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Some of us live in very cold areas where max performance SUMMER tires just do not work... And we have winter beaters to drive. I have place at 6000' altitude that I have to climb steep and winding roads to get to... The Mustangs just don't do winter there. :)
That's why winter tires and snow chains exist. The Mustang can handle anything short of Buffalo right now. (But then, nothing without tracks can handle that).

Canktm25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
15' Ruby Red GT Premium PP leather Recaros
I've never understood that. Who has that kind of money to pay for, insure and then store a FORD all Winter? Why not drive it? Even in NH, put 3 tubs of kitty litter in the trunk, some good snow tires and there you go.
Cops drove rear wheel drive crown Vic's excluseivly until recent times in most northern states every Winter.
I Do...

Like I've said before, I bet most of the Mustang owners over age 40 have acquired enough equity to be able to store their cars for the winter. Personally I'm not going to have my $40,000 car looking like shit in 2 years even after washing it. Would you drive a $40,000 collector car from the 70's all winter?

It has nothing to do with collectibility of the car but the purchase price besides I have a F-150 and a 13' Subaru Outback

Sponsored

Wolfman625

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT in Deep impact Blue
I'll be driving my GT all winter. When things get really bad just jump in the Diesel king ranch and go on my marry way

I had to store my last car for 10 mouths is CO on my 2nd deployment. Didn't do anything special just took battery out amd put a cover on it. 10 mouths later go pick her up. Starts up and drives perfect. No flat spots on the tire.

oldlugs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Bullitt & '09 KR
That's why winter tires and snow chains exist. The Mustang can handle anything short of Buffalo right now. (But then, nothing without tracks can handle that).
Nobody said that the Mustang can't handle it... There are just better choices out there (and I have those choices). My Mustangs are my toys and I want them to continue to look brand new in years to come. They still look new today, and my Bullitt is going on seven years old. Makes no sense to me to abuse my toys, but if you like to beat yours up... only you should care. Just buy another in a few years. Ford and I thank you.

There aren't so many Bullitts and certainly not so many KRs around that I want to see mine driven in crappy weather. I just don't need to. I have other vehicles just for that, and they're better suited as well. :)

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Nobody said that the Mustang can't handle it... There are just better choices out there (and I have those choices). My Mustangs are my toys and I want them to continue to look brand new in years to come. They still look new today, and my Bullitt is going on seven years old. Makes no sense to me to abuse my toys, but if you like to beat yours up... only you should care. Just buy another in a few years. Ford and I thank you.
To each their own. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion on things. But, like...

Yesterday, I saw somebody sitting in a 1954 Oldsmobile 98 Starfire Convertible. It was one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen in my entire life; impeccably restored, looked like it just straggled off a showroom floor. Absolutely took my breath away.

Maybe my 2015 S550 will look like that 60 years from now. But by then, I'll be dead. In the interim, it's just a Mustang. It's not a Bugatti or a McLaren or something that's a classic the day you buy it that needs to be treated with kid gloves and floated around on a sea of unicorn farts. It's just a car.

oldlugs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Bullitt & '09 KR
To each their own....Maybe my 2015 S550 will look like that 60 years from now. But by then, I'll be dead. In the interim, it's just a Mustang. It's not a Bugatti or a McLaren or something that's a classic the day you buy it that needs to be treated with kid gloves and floated around on a sea of unicorn farts. It's just a car.
Absolutely correct; it's just a car. And, if you had to drive my mountain roads in your Mustang equipped with the very best studded snow tires, it's just a car that won't be nearly as sure-footed as many other cars with those same tires, that's all. Better off with a cheap Subaru and decent all-season tires. Not that the Mustang won't work, it just won't work as well. I don't drive my Lotus or Jensen in the ice, either. Not that they won't work; I'd just feel stupid doing so. To each their own... ;)

EleanorsBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
So for those of us electing to drive our new ponies through the winter (because we may not have a second car/beater) - any suggestions? Luckily I have a garage at my apartments, so that should help a lot, but it will sit outside at work from 8 to 5. I'm also having the dealer put snow tires on it as soon as it gets delivered this week (I'm not taking any chances with the PP summer tires up here in Michigan!).

Sponsored

usa1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I'm in Minnesota and plan on driving it every day when there's not more than 2" of snow. I have a GT with the stock 18" all season tires and it's doing quite well in the snow we have had so far. Based upon how they performed, I don't think I need dedicated snow tires like I did on my previous car, a Pontiac GT which came with summer tires.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Absolutely correct; it's just a car. And, if you had to drive my mountain roads in your Mustang equipped with the very best studded snow tires, it's just a car that won't be nearly as sure-footed as many other cars with those same tires, that's all. Better off with a cheap Subaru and decent all-season tires. Not that the Mustang won't work, it just won't work as well. I don't drive my Lotus or Jensen in the ice, either. Not that they won't work; I'd just feel stupid doing so. To each their own... ;)
I'd actually feel pretty awesome driving an Evora in a snowstorm. But maybe that's just me...

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
So for those of us electing to drive our new ponies through the winter (because we may not have a second car/beater) - any suggestions? Luckily I have a garage at my apartments, so that should help a lot, but it will sit outside at work from 8 to 5. I'm also having the dealer put snow tires on it as soon as it gets delivered this week (I'm not taking any chances with the PP summer tires up here in Michigan!).
I got Dunlop Winter Maxx tires because Nokians in the right size are sold out for the season; any snow tires should really be fine.

Leaving it sitting outside isn't really a problem; snow doesn't hurt a car just by sitting on it. Just do the usual things -- don't leave the car pointed downhill in a parking spot you have to back out of; flip up your windshield wipers before you leave it there for any period of time; always carry a shovel and snow brush inside the car (since it can be a pain to open the trunk with a foot of snow on top of it), etc.
Sponsored