Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
There's customers like myself who are totally frustrated with the entire "let's fix by trial and error" process. We (Customers) have bought a brand new Ford Mustang - and we have to essentially be at the mercy of the Dealerships who do not have proper diagnosis directives, because THERE IS NO TSB available to them. The problem has existed since 2015 - you can google the issue and there's many complaints on the BBB, other automotive forums and the net in general - so why 2 model years in is there NO TSB?
I totally agree. You would think by now, after Ford has been contacted by so many dealerships across the country while trying to resolve this vibration issue, that Ford Engineering would have come up with at TSB by now so dealerships can have a process to follow in resolving the issue.

If Ford Engineering can't see that this is a pretty common problem by now, then I'd be totally surprised. You'd think they would move out on this in a better manner then just waiting for the dealerships to call the "hot line".
Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I have the same dreaded driveline vibration in 15 GTPP since day 1.

However, last weekend I installed Steeda IRS braces. The vibrations have almost completely diminished to what I would accept as a normal level. I know the subframe braces might be hiding the root cause, but it certainly helps alleviate the symptoms of a non-critical NVH annoyance.

Thoughts? Anyone else with IRS braces notice similar behavior?
This is interesting... I'd like to add them just for the improved handling.

Mine was solved after numerous attempts of replacing the DS (twice) and on car balancing (by the Ford engineer) by replacing the pinion flange. He wouldn't have done it if I hadn't insisted they try it. Not sure why that isn't the first thing they try since it seems to have worked for everyone here on the forum and it is cheap. The engineer said that when he checked the Ford system for other complaints like this, there were only about 7 in the whole country. That means it's not being recorded properly in their system- or reported at all. I bet if you go drive all the Mustangs on any dealer's lot, 30% of them have the problem.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The engineer said that when he checked the Ford system for other complaints like this, there were only about 7 in the whole country.
That engineer must have been bullshitting, because there have probably been 3 times that many right here in this thread that have had dealerships work on this problem. Plus Ford Service Reps are here always escalating members here who have this vibration problem. There must be some kind of communication problem going on. :doh:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This is interesting... I'd like to add them just for the improved handling.

Mine was solved after numerous attempts of replacing the DS (twice) and on car balancing (by the Ford engineer) by replacing the pinion flange. He wouldn't have done it if I hadn't insisted they try it. Not sure why that isn't the first thing they try since it seems to have worked for everyone here on the forum and it is cheap. The engineer said that when he checked the Ford system for other complaints like this, there were only about 7 in the whole country. That means it's not being recorded properly in their system- or reported at all. I bet if you go drive all the Mustangs on any dealer's lot, 30% of them have the problem.
What I have bolded out of your reply is totally BAFFLING to me (as well as many others) as to WHY we are into the 2nd model year and this very well known concern does not have more internal notes than SEVEN and why is this issue NOT being addressed within Ford? Makes no sense.

That would go to show that the Ford Service Centers either need definitive training on how to report such customer concerns OR the internal systems that house the reports from various Dealers are not capturing the data.

I know you have replied a few times in the thread that your rear pinion flange was replaced and it fixed your driveline vibe (after you too had to deal w/ numerous mis-diagnosis attempts) - I just have this one question:

Why would a replacement rear pinion flange be ANY different than the same part used in the initial assembly or production of the car?

Does anyone know if the part available over the counter through Ford Parts has been revised in any way?

Is the new pinion flange only working because it's being installed properly as opposed to how the same part was installed on the production line?

That's what I'd like to know... I mean, if the part has not been revised and it's the same part whether used in production or able to be purchased over the counter - then SOMETHING isn't being done right w/ the installation of the part on the production line.

I'm pushing for a TSB to be created out of this entire thread - I've even told and emailed the same to the Case Worker who I've been dealing with - now whether my request is getting to someone higher up, who knows...

If anyone has internal emails to Mark Fields, Bill & Edsel Ford, IM me... I'm serious about getting through to them.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know you have replied a few times in the thread that your rear pinion flange was replaced and it fixed your driveline vibe (after you too had to deal w/ numerous mis-diagnosis attempts) - I just have this one question:

Why would a replacement rear pinion flange be ANY different than the same part used in the initial assembly or production of the car?

Does anyone know if the part available over the counter through Ford Parts has been revised in any way?

Is the new pinion flange only working because it's being installed properly as opposed to how the same part was installed on the production line?

That's what I'd like to know... I mean, if the part has not been revised and it's the same part whether used in production or able to be purchased over the counter - then SOMETHING isn't being done right w/ the installation of the part on the production line.
My guess is some of the pinion flanges were not manufactured correctly. You can have a perfect design on drawings, but if it's not manufactured per drawing it can be FUBAR.

If they don't allow the center line of the driveshaft to be perfectly in line with the center line of the pinion flange (ie, flange holes are manufactured slightly off center) then that could produce the drive line vibration. Also, I believe the pinion flange is a separately balanced part, so if the balancing is off that could also cause some vibration.

Sponsored

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
If anyone has internal emails to Mark Fields, Bill & Edsel Ford, IM me... I'm serious about getting through to them.
PM sent !

If you REALLY want to make an impact, I'd type up a letter and send it to their mail address - carries a LOT more weight then an email !

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
My 11 GT had vibration changed pinion flange, one piece drive shaft no change. End up setting pinion preload higher made vibration go away but it came back. Pinion preload was in spec but tightening it to top of the spec well was actually was tighter. Pinion flange wasn't out of round or wobbled just didn't have away to check balance.

So solid spacer/shim fixed that issue of pinion vibration and of course car came with 3.73 gears. S197 had vibration issue but so many swore it had to be 2 piece driveshaft.

Does my 15 GT PP car have that droning or slight vibration yes. But I need to bring home dial indictor and 3/4 impact home. I really don't think changing pinion flange fixed anything. But what did change could be from changing pinion flange because preload changed. Remember pinion and ring gear bends or deflects under load. You think with super 8.8 with bigger pinion would be less than 8.8

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
My guess is some of the pinion flanges were not manufactured correctly. You can have a perfect design on drawings, but if it's not manufactured per drawing it can be FUBAR.

If they don't allow the center line of the driveshaft to be perfectly in line with the center line of the pinion flange (ie, flange holes are manufactured slightly off center) then that could produce the drive line vibration. Also, I believe the pinion flange is a separately balanced part, so if the balancing is off that could also cause some vibration.
Right ,they could of have run out issues either up and down or back an forth .
Very similar to what can happen on brake rotor only it probably be a lot worse with driveshaft connected .

So you won't be able to balance it out if its far off .

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods

I get your POV. Why complain about parts quality if the factory doesn't get defective ones returned from the field? My day job involves investigating returned parts from the field. #1 problem seems to be getting the service technicians to return the parts in the first place.

It could be that there is a concentricity problem with the flange, which by definition would put a perfectly in-balance drive shaft totally out of balance once installed.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Deysha,

First I want to thank you for being on these forums - 2nd please don't take offense to what I'm about to post next...
I understand this has been frustrating for most of you, Cobra Jet. Please remember, only documented problems within the Ford system can be properly reviewed by Ford Engineering, which is why I encourage anyone who has experienced this driveline vibration concern on their 2015-2016 Mustang to bring it into their dealership, and PM me your VIN and any other relevant information. I have also reached out to the Mustang engineers for additional insight.

Thanks Deysha - PM sent !
Thanks and you’re very welcome, MikeD1! I’ll get back to you soon.

Deysha

Sponsored

Jim05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback
I understand this has been frustrating for most of you, Cobra Jet. Please remember, only documented problems within the Ford system can be properly reviewed by Ford Engineering, which is why I encourage anyone who has experienced this driveline vibration concern on their 2015-2016 Mustang to bring it into their dealership, and PM me your VIN and any other relevant information. I have also reached out to the Mustang engineers for additional insight.

Thanks and you’re very welcome, MikeD1! I’ll get back to you soon.

Deysha
Thank you, Deysha. I have also PM'd you.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys,
The dealer just called in. They said it was a balancing issue on the drive shaft, they rebalanced the drift shaft and the master tech said everything drives smooth now. Will be posting back on Monday when I pick up the car.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Jim05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback
Hey guys,
The dealer just called in. They said it was a balancing issue on the drive shaft, they rebalanced the drift shaft and the master tech said everything drives smooth now. Will be posting back on Monday when I pick up the car.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
I wish we had dealers in Virginia who know how to balance, or at least check the balance, on drive shafts.

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Survey Says .............

Bad LR tire (PP tires/wheels). Tech drove the car and acknowledged the vibration was present (and that it shouldn't do that). They did verify the driveshaft was indexed. Next step was to road force balance the tires & the LR was off by a lot & would not balance. Interestingly, it's the only tire out of the 4 that still has the OE yellow stripe on the outside tread block, the color stripes are gone from the other 3.

New tire ordered & should be in early next week. Hopefully, I'll be lucky & that will be the end of it !!

Did get a lot of compliments on the car and the subtle graphics etc. by several of the techs & service writers + some of the sales guys who wandered by.

Will report back once the new tire is on.

Last edited:

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I get your POV. Why complain about parts quality if the factory doesn't get defective ones returned from the field? My day job involves investigating returned parts from the field. #1 problem seems to be getting the service technicians to return the parts in the first place.

It could be that there is a concentricity problem with the flange, which by definition would put a perfectly in-balance drive shaft totally out of balance once installed.

Tech's not returning the parts no Ford won't pay the claim if they don't. As a tech we tag all parts warranty manager either scraps it or send it back depending what factory says. You know this so why would you say tech is as fault for not sending part back
Sponsored