Sponsored

UPR Drain Plug Leaking?

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
So I did an oil change last weekend on my 21 Mach 1, its my 6th one and I do them all laying on my garage floor.
This time I noticed a slight leak on my garage floor every time I go for a drive. I clean it up and find another one on next drive. (doesn't leak unless I go for drive.) I Spilt a lot of oil when removing filter so I thought that may be it trickling it's way out but now I don't think so. I lifted the car up again and looked by the filter, no leak. Seems to be dripping off the edge of the plastic skid plate which is directly under the oil pan plug. See Pic. No drip from plug but it's on plastic. Is it possible the UPR drain plug O-ring is bad or something and slight amount of oil is coming out after pressure builds up from a drive. I've had this plug in since my first oil change. I'm at the point where I'm just going to go to my dealer and grab the factory one and dump all the 10 quartz into a very cleaned oil pan and then refill with same oil but what a pain in the ass!
Anyone experience this with a Bad plug?

IMG_4172.jpg
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Not being someone to spend $50 on a drain plug I don't have first hand experience.
I do have a few thoughts.
1, I'd consider replacing the o-rings to see if that fixed it.
2, I thought those things have a lifetime warranty? Perhaps call them before doing anything else.
3, I've only ever used one of the "quick change/drain" type things that came on a truck I bought. It never saved me any time or mess compared to a normal drain plug. And I was always worried it would fail...

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Not being someone to spend $50 on a drain plug I don't have first hand experience.
I do have a few thoughts.
1, I'd consider replacing the o-rings to see if that fixed it.
2, I thought those things have a lifetime warranty? Perhaps call them before doing anything else.
3, I've only ever used one of the "quick change/drain" type things that came on a truck I bought. It never saved me any time or mess compared to a normal drain plug. And I was always worried it would fail...
I did call UPR and they said the o-rings can go bad. They sell replacements for $20. I ned to do it this weekend if it is the plug so I’ll buy the factory throw away one I guess

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
I'm not familiar with the UPR drains but I've used other brands. Occasionally a piece of grit or carbon with get caught under an o-ring as the valve closes. Bumping the valve and letting a little oil flow will usually take the debris with it.

Second, go to a hardware or auto supply store to buy the o-rings. Don't fork out $20 to UPR for 50¢ o-rings.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Don't drain your oil! You can thank me in advance for this awesome tip, which I have used to swap my drain plug when I got my UPR plug.

Your welcome! I also use it to check if any metal makes it to the magnet mid oil change, after events.

Also, when I spilled oil from my filter (I have since got a filter drain kit from another member on here which prevents spilling all over the top side of the cover), it leaked initially right after the oil change, than again after driving the car for a while. It took two oil changes for the leaking to totally stop. I guess I got a lot of oil up in that pan. I still would never go back to stock.

Good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Don't drain your oil! You can thank me in advance for this awesome tip, which I have used to swap my drain plug when I got my UPR plug.

Your welcome! I also use it to check if any metal makes it to the magnet mid oil change, after events.

Also, when I spilled oil from my filter (I have since got a filter drain kit from another member on here which prevents spilling all over the top side of the cover), it leaked initially right after the oil change, than again after driving the car for a while. It took two oil changes for the leaking to totally stop. I guess I got a lot of oil up in that pan. I still would never go back to stock.

Good luck!
Holy moly, this really works??
I can use mint M18 shop vac.
Does any oil get sucked in when you did this?
Thanks for this!

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
So I did an oil change last weekend on my 21 Mach 1, its my 6th one and I do them all laying on my garage floor.
This time I noticed a slight leak on my garage floor every time I go for a drive. I clean it up and find another one on next drive. (doesn't leak unless I go for drive.) I Spilt a lot of oil when removing filter so I thought that may be it trickling it's way out but now I don't think so. I lifted the car up again and looked by the filter, no leak. Seems to be dripping off the edge of the plastic skid plate which is directly under the oil pan plug. See Pic. No drip from plug but it's on plastic. Is it possible the UPR drain plug O-ring is bad or something and slight amount of oil is coming out after pressure builds up from a drive. I've had this plug in since my first oil change. I'm at the point where I'm just going to go to my dealer and grab the factory one and dump all the 10 quartz into a very cleaned oil pan and then refill with same oil but what a pain in the ass!
Anyone experience this with a Bad plug?

IMG_4172.jpg
Thanks for posting this. I realize that $20 for two o-rings is ridiculous, but rather than getting an assortment and fiddling around to find the right size, I went ahead and ordered the UPR ones. Relatively cheap insurance. At least they ship for free. :like: My plug hasn't leaked, but now I'll check the o-rings every time it's out and be ready, just in case.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Second, go to a hardware or auto supply store to buy the o-rings. Don't fork out $20 to UPR for 50¢ o-rings.
Yes, this! Asking $20 for two o-rings is beyond ridiculous!

I did call UPR and they said the o-rings can go bad. They sell replacements for $20. I ned to do it this weekend if it is the plug so I’ll buy the factory throw away one I guess
So much for their "lifetime warranty"...

Not sure why a tiny leak is so time critical. I'd just throw down a piece of cardboard to catch the drip and make any changes at the next oil change. It's not like a tiny drip will make a bit of difference on a 10 qt fill...

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Isn't the ford throw away drain plug like 15 bucks? I would just buy a new ford plug before I spend 20 for just replacement o rings

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)

Good luck!
Cute trick!

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2

Not sure why a tiny leak is so time critical. I'd just throw down a piece of cardboard to catch the drip and make any changes at the next oil change. It's not like a tiny drip will make a bit of difference on a 10 qt fill...
Well? I have to say I can be a little OCD when one of my cars has a oil, fluid leak, seep, drips whatever. But, I also know it wouldn't be an emergency and correct the leak when I could schedule time for me to correct. I can also say, I have never seen a oil/fluid leak which got better with time. Good Luck OP

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Holy moly, this really works??
I can use mint M18 shop vac.
Does any oil get sucked in when you did this?
Thanks for this!
Yes. I've never sucked up oil. It's just pulling air through the drain.

Sorry about the o rings. I bet you can find some at the local hardware store though. I would probably hassle UPR about it considering mine has never leaked.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

I’m way too OCD to let it go. This is my baby

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
You say there are no drips on plug! Clean the oil off the top of the plastic shield first. A tablespoon of oil will drip for what seems like forever. A little got on it from the filter change and wind/gravity is making it drip off the back. Do the easy stuff first! Jim
Sponsored