Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
A couple years ago - we were having Christmas dinner at the local Chinese restaurant, at the bar. TV was on and Christmas story was playing...it was near the end so we were watching them eat Christmas dinner at the Chinese restaurant...the most non-politically-correct moments...and I felt a little weird.
As for me, it would have been very difficult not to have sung along....
Sponsored

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
This is not an insurance job - I wasn't going to pay the deductible which is about half the cost of the repair to have it marked on the carfax as an accident - when it's a pair paint chips, nothing more... and then lose 10% of the value some day down the road because "it's got a carfax".
If the bodyshop wrote and estimate using CCC, which is a an estimating program, it will go to CarFax. No insurance report needed.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The paint on these S550's sucks, it is too fragile. if it's looked at sideways, it chips. My '94 Cobra w/original paint has less chips on it in 27 years of highway driving than my 2018.
100% agreement. I had a '98 GT (130k miles) prior to current 2019 & a 2005 Expedition (which I just replaced w/a new F150) & it had almost 200k on it. And, like you, my current GT has more traffic inflicted small nicks, chips & scratches (body & windshield) than both the older vehicles combined. I enjoy cross-country driving (I am long retired) & never have the need to ride someone's rear bumper ... just pick my spot & pass. But there are some that that you have to wonder ... "How the hell did I not see/hear that when it happened?" Oh, well, I love the Mustang & will just "bite the bullet". I had someone recommend a wrap when I purchased it, but, based upon the minimal traffic wear & tear on the '98 GT & F150, I took a pass on the idea. :curse:

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
If it makes ya feel better (probably not), I had my Bullitt for about 24 hours when I took a rock to the windshield and roof, on the frwy this past weekend.

20210926_162355.jpg
The windshields are equally fragile. Both of my 350's had rock chips in the glass and very few miles. It's sad.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I do wonder if the problem is a good mix of :

1) “Modern factory paint is crap”

2) The road condition / road maintenance is way worse than it was in the past.

3) Car designs have evolved in more flush wheel fittings and how much the rear tyres are revealed (shorter overhangs along with more scolloped bumper profiles) therefore throwing more stuff onto the car behind.

4) Same for the front and coupled with more flared rear arches, much curvier rear profiles to catch the stuff thrown up by the fronts.

5) Sticker tyre compounds picking up and throwing more stuff.

6) Busier roads leading to smaller gaps - and if you leave a larger gap, someone just fills it for you.

I think people focus on point 1 and ignore points 2 to 6 ?

WD :like:

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I believe it has a lot to do with the EPA and using more green paints applied with thinner coats.

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 2009 Shelby GT500KR 2008 Shelby GT-C
Europe is water based now. Not the old Acrylic lacquer thinners and two pack.
Was in the automotive refinishing business many moons ago. LOL

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Anyone's paint on the mirrors started to just peel and chip away? Thought someone hit it at first but looks like the paint is just slowly coming off. 2015 ruby red.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Anyone's paint on the mirrors started to just peel and chip away? Thought someone hit it at first but looks like the paint is just slowly coming off. 2015 ruby red.
A trend I've started to see is people wrapping them in black. I've been debating this myself.

My C43 had black accents, including mirrors, and it looked pretty good and didn't show wear.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
OP,

Sorry for the hijack. A good paint shop will get you going again. I know others have said it, but PPF really does wonders to keep this kind of stuff from happening.

All the best.
Also ppf over the area after the fix will def help with hiding any minor variations in the paint .
Sponsored