#UCK ME - ouch

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Heh .......... I did Canada long ago. From sea to shining sea. To old for that now. :wink:
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I wonder how many have been hit with a pebble or let alone a rock at 60mph plus. No paint is designed to take that kind of impact.

The paint on my '20 GT varies between 5.7 to 6.9 mils in thickness. Interesting how at different places on the same panel, it varies by about .5 mils or more. On the other hand, my home appliances have paint thicknesses from 1.4 mils to 2.2 mils, so I guess the paint on the car is better (then again appliances usually don't get environmental exposures like the car does).

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"I did Canada long ago. From sea to shining sea. Too old for that now." :wink:
The mere fact that you own a 2021 GT tells me that you most certainly are NOT "too old for that now"!!! Getting older is a fact of life, but getting old is merely a state of mind!!!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I wonder how many have been hit with a pebble or let alone a rock at 60mph plus. No paint is designed to take that kind of impact.
And that is why they make PPF. I wonder why people who are so adverse to doing front end/impact area PPF are so surprised when it happens to them. This shouldn't be a surprise when it happens. It will, especially when you throw performance tires into the mix. Have them on your car or drive behind a car that has one and it is a rock chip magnet.

Before, when each of my examples were waiting their turn to get the PPF installed, I would cringe to hear the sound of rocks and pebbles bounce off my car. With PPF, I just smile.

To PPF or not to PPF, that is the question.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
The mere fact that you own a 2021 GT tells me that you most certainly are NOT "too old for that now"!!! Getting older is a fact of life, but getting old is merely a state of mind!!!
It's more that I have no desire to cross the border. Canada or Mexico. In fact, anywhere east of the Mississippi river and north of the Mason-Dixon line is off limits. :wink:

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
You wouldn't think so, but those "coating guys" say that their product will protect the paint against that. Anyway, I just accept little nicks and such from rocks (try to avoid big ones from huge trucks) as normal. I already have a tiny chip in my windshield from a piece of gravel.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You wouldn't think so, but those "coating guys" say that their product will protect the paint against that. Anyway, I just accept little nicks and such from rocks (try to avoid big ones from huge trucks) as normal. I already have a tiny chip in my windshield from a piece of gravel.
If you are referring to ceramic coating, I agree. It wasn't made for that.

Last edited:

2015Pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Seems like there's a cosmic rule of sorts that this type of horrible damage always happens the first year you own a new car. Maybe it's just helping you accept the reality that things that are used will be eventually destroyed by wear and time itself. Nothing is permanent and nothing is perfect. All things turn to dust.

That concludes our philosophy lesson for today.
How’s that Willie Nelson song go…‘nothin lasts forever but old Fords or natural stones…’?

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE….
Only I said THE word, the big one, the queen mother of dirty words. (more than once.)

Safelite came by today, twice actually. The first time they brought a windshield for a car with rain sensors. The second time they brought the non-acoustic glass. I asked them "don't you people have a parts lookup system by VIN?" The tech replied "yes, but it's not perfect".

YouDontSay.gif

He would've installed it had I not insisted on the "Soundscreen" logo in the lower right.

Got a call later on that the "Soundscreen" glass is hard-ish to find right now but they'll have it in a week.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Only I said THE word, the big one, the queen mother of dirty words. (more than once.)

Safelite came by today, twice actually. The first time they brought a windshield for a car with rain sensors. The second time they brought the non-acoustic glass. I asked them "don't you people have a parts lookup system by VIN?" The tech replied "yes, but it's not perfect".

YouDontSay.gif

He would've installed it had I not insisted on the "Soundscreen" logo in the lower right.

Got a call later on that the "Soundscreen" glass is hard-ish to find right now but they'll have it in a week.
Love the Christmas Story reference!

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
:crackup: This thread has gone so far off track .................. It sure has been good for laughs.
Sponsored