Sponsored

Torsen diff. vs. Track-Loc

Jackal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT 401A NPP
I put the Ford Racing LS Track-Loc w/ carbon fiber clutches and heavy S-spring in an 8.8" diff. in my open diff. F-150 and it was SICK...for about 20k mi., aside from the first rainy morning spin-out, then it wore out and became useless. When wifey got her 2019 EB, we insisted on a Performance Pack w/ the Torsen style diff. and it has been incredible for going on 40k mi. now. I need one of these in my 63.5 Galaxie!

She is now looking at a '23 GT Premium Nite Pony w/ 3:55's and the LS diff. My concerns are longevity and rainy weather behavior compared to the Torsen. Can anyone weigh-in on these issues? Thank you!!!!!

P.S. Looks like Ford is offering 2.9% @ 60 mo. and 4.9% @ 72 mo., etc. on 2023 Mustangs, plus $3k cash-back. Not many left! She does NOT like the Gen 7 headlights, which I can look past, but I think she's right about all the ugly wall of plastic in the rear and mismatched front end plastics. She has quite the distaste for Cameros...lol.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
I put the Ford Racing LS Track-Loc w/ carbon fiber clutches and heavy S-spring in an 8.8" diff. in my open diff. F-150 and it was SICK...for about 20k mi., aside from the first rainy morning spin-out, then it wore out and became useless. When wifey got her 2019 EB, we insisted on a Performance Pack w/ the Torsen style diff. and it has been incredible for going on 40k mi. now. I need one of these in my 63.5 Galaxie!

She is now looking at a '23 GT Premium Nite Pony w/ 3:55's and the LS diff. My concerns are longevity and rainy weather behavior compared to the Torsen. Can anyone weigh-in on these issues? Thank you!!!!!

P.S. Looks like Ford is offering 2.9% @ 60 mo. and 4.9% @ 72 mo., etc. on 2023 Mustangs, plus $3k cash-back. Not many left! She does NOT like the Gen 7 headlights, which I can look past, but I think she's right about all the ugly wall of plastic in the rear and mismatched front end plastics. She has quite the distaste for Cameros...lol.
a torsen diff is literally better in every conceivable way except one: drag racing.

so, easier to maintain, more reliable, better for handling, less invasive, all of that go to torsen.

i vote torsen all day every day. that is the main reason why i got the performance pack.

OP
OP

Jackal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT 401A NPP
I looked for another PP1, BUT it seems all of them in the mid-west have gotten dealer installed Roush packages making them $74k+.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
I have a 19 base gt and I believe the torsen diff was standard on the car. My 15pp came with the torsen due to having the performance pack, but I thought they were standard at some point

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I have a 19 base gt and I believe the torsen diff was standard on the car. My 15pp came with the torsen due to having the performance pack, but I thought they were standard at some point
Nope, you have Ford's track-loc. Only PP cars got Torsens, 18-23 years included.

Blue Flame Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 GT 401A Mischievous Purple
I can't say I'm disappointed with the track-loc (at least yet) but I do wish I had the torsen

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
I looked for another PP1, BUT it seems all of them in the mid-west have gotten dealer installed Roush packages making them $74k+.
New '23 PP will be rare.
Either look for used 20-22 PP that hasn't been moded or go for a Mach 1 if torsen is a must-have.

GT-DM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Redd
Vehicle(s)
GT500 & other heaps
As for the Galaxie, you can install a Eaton /Detroit TruTrac in that 9", & it will operate very well.
They produce a 50%/50% torque bias, per axle, when engaged.

TracLocs are barely 60%/40% at best.
As the clutch plates wear, that bias diminishes.

Clutch style units like Ford TracLoc's are harsh without Friction Modifier additive in most vehicles, so we assume you had it in your F150 that wore out in 20k mi.

If not, it will wear the clutches out quicker than if you use the additive. Most cannot stand the characteristics of using one w/o it. So again we assume you did so.

Screenshot_20230925-121008_Google.jpg

Eyesac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP
I've had 3 track locs and 2 torsens in my life and love the torsen. It does everything I want it to do regarding performance/spirited driving, no surprises, locks up in a most predictable and un-noticeable way, it's a great diff! That said, it does do "locker" type stuff like chirp tires around right hand turns at lights and in really low traction situations (gravel on the road, snow, etc.) it will seem like you have a spool (but only under throttle).
I've never had a track loc act this way...Either way, wouldn't trade it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jackal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT 401A NPP
As for the Galaxie, you can install a Eaton /Detroit TruTrac in that 9", & it will operate very well.
They produce a 50%/50% torque bias, per axle, when engaged.

TracLocs are barely 60%/40% at best.
As the clutch plates wear, that bias diminishes.

Clutch style units like Ford TracLoc's are harsh without Friction Modifier additive in most vehicles, so we assume you had it in your F150 that wore out in 20k mi.

If not, it will wear the clutches out quicker than if you use the additive. Most cannot stand the characteristics of using one w/o it. So again we assume you did so.

Screenshot_20230925-121008_Google.jpg
I was using Royal Purple MaxGear which contains the friction modifier and they advised that I do not add the additional Motorcraft friction modifier. It wasn't nearly as aggressive as this Torsen diff seems.

OP
OP

Jackal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT 401A NPP
I've had 3 track locs and 2 torsens in my life and love the torsen. It does everything I want it to do regarding performance/spirited driving, no surprises, locks up in a most predictable and un-noticeable way, it's a great diff! That said, it does do "locker" type stuff like chirp tires around right hand turns at lights and in really low traction situations (gravel on the road, snow, etc.) it will seem like you have a spool (but only under throttle).
I've never had a track loc act this way...Either way, wouldn't trade it.
The only thing that scares me about the Torsen, especially potentially in my 63.5, is that I tend to get in the gas again near the apex which is sometimes a really bad idea when it kicks out the rearend even harder, then hooks and launches toward the ditch. ;)

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
OP
OP

Jackal

Threads
Reaction score