torn driver's side diff bushing

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
I've been hearing this slight noise from the drivers side rear on take off so i took a peak tonight.. and i think the diff bushing is torn.

the car is bone stock aside from subframe inserts.

anybody else have this happen with a bone stock car? i have like 6K miles on it.
its a performance pack and I don't baby it but how common is this?
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
That area takes a beating so it wouldn’t surprise me … :frown:

I broke (your) drivers side bolt and moved the passenger side bolt, on a stock car, that I don’t launch from a dig, at approx 2300 miles.

Check out the Steeda subframe bush kit video, but keep and eye on the diff mounts - the only thing that stops the movement is the outside bush shell.

WD :like:

OP
OP
Oakley

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
talked to the dealer, they can't get me a loaner for like 2.5 months. the bushing isn't toast, its just making a creaking noise, so I think it'll be fine if i don't rip on her but this is all very disappointing.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
OP
OP
Oakley

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
i would be if it weren't still under warranty. frankly this is insane that a bushing has failed for a differential in a car geared for performance. if this happens again I'll have them fix it again and then fill the thing to prevent it from happening in the future. I've seen videos of how much these things move, its crazy. I get we don't want NVH but we can't have things as simple as this failing either...

thankfully it isn't anything more than a little creak right now and i'll keep monitoring it in the 10 weeks i'm apparently going to have to wait for a loaner.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
i would be if it weren't still under warranty. frankly this is insane that a bushing has failed for a differential in a car geared for performance. if this happens again I'll have them fix it again and then fill the thing to prevent it from happening in the future. I've seen videos of how much these things move, its crazy. I get we don't want NVH but we can't have things as simple as this failing either...

thankfully it isn't anything more than a little creak right now and i'll keep monitoring it in the 10 weeks i'm apparently going to have to wait for a loaner.
I gotcha. If the dealership would approve, perhaps you could just install a poly bushing over top of that one to hold you over until the dealership is able to make the repair. That might hold things in place and eliminate the creaking.

OP
OP
Oakley

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
it doesn't look too bad. it really only makes noise when it first loads up. im hoping i can just take it easy for a few weeks and get her in. you can see the droop of the bolt. i read somewhere this happens cause the bolt is too small or something like that.
1691539417691.jpeg

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
it doesn't look too bad. it really only makes noise when it first loads up. im hoping i can just take it easy for a few weeks and get her in. you can see the droop of the bolt. i read somewhere this happens cause the bolt is too small or something like that.
1691539417691.jpeg
8-9 years of building the S550 and Ford still missed the mark on a critical component IMO. I have to believe they‘ve known about this issue for a long time, but chose not to square it away for whatever reason.

OP
OP
Oakley

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
yeah, there really is no excuse for a diff bushin to fail at 6K miles especially when you don't track the car or run DR's or slicks.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
yeah, there really is no excuse for a diff bushin to fail at 6K miles especially when you don't track the car or run DR's or slicks.
Based on your pic, it does not look as if the bushing failed.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Mines had a small tear since like 4k miles, on the driver's side in the same spot as yours. I bet it's super common. I've chosen to ignore it since it's not expanded in a meaningful way since then, and the idea of trying to get it fixed under warranty sounds like a long, drawn out situation where I won't have my car, and then it will just happen again 😂

OP
OP
Oakley

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
does your car make a creaking sound when you start rolling from a dead stop or change directions?

I bet its been happening for ever cause i remember hearing something like this last year and i can only hear it with the radio off.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
does your car make a creaking sound when you start rolling from a dead stop or change directions?

I bet its been happening for ever cause i remember hearing something like this last year and i can only hear it with the radio off.
Nope, and my suspension is 100% stock. My tear is directly up though and doesn't go around part of the bolt like yours does.

When I last looked into this the only approved fix is an entire new rear subframe from Ford. If you fix it yourself there's a few different bushing options but the install sucks balls, you have to knock the rubber out and then saw through the shell to get it out, then press in the new ones.

The final option is get a used gt350 subframe. It's a direct swap and thr bushings lack voids so I don't think they have this tearing issue.

OP
OP
Oakley

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
do you have a performance pack?