Sponsored

The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer seemed a little confused (possibly a little upset too) when I told them I was having nothing to do with the connect app - they wanted to talk me through it at point of sale.

WD :like:
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
WD: It would surprise me AT all if the stores get some money from Ford if they successfully sign someone up.
Vodaphone (I’m in the U.K.), but yes, that would be inline with the reaction I got :like:

WD :like:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Cars built for the European market use Vodafone. I will have the modem, and it will certainly work. It will come with a free two-year Vodafone subscription, which will work all over Europe.
But thanks to Tom's exquisite work, I now know how to get rid of it. :like:

I don't mind sharing some personal data if I get something worthwhile in return. But FordPass Connect gives me nothing. Oil life and fuel level on my phone, plus the ability to unlock the doors remotely (why on Earth would I ever need to do that?). That's rubbish.
The remote start would be useful, but I won't have it because of the manual gearbox. Besides, I'm not sure I'd want it implemented like that. If I could easily start the engine over the internet, then so could somebody else (we've already had proof that FordPass is not secure).
And even if it were useful, I would still not want it because I resent the obtrusive way in which Ford forces us to share personal data with them whether we like it or not, without the ability to turn it off, as if they were somehow entitled to it and it were up to them to decide. That's downright despicable. I can choose to share personal data with them, but they have absolutely no right to take it for granted.
Completely agree. Wonder what would happen if more people knew the type and amount of personal data Ford was collecting and selling.

Useless mobile phone knowledge gathered while trying to get the useless (invasive) modem to work in Europe>>> Vodafone is only available as a primary carrier in 13 European countries. In the others FordPass has to operate on a different network. So, if Vodafone has the overall contract with Ford, outside the 13, it probably goes to Vodafone partners (CH= Sunrise, BE = Proximus). Otherwise, Ford has separate arrangements with other companies in those places. My guess would be the former--work it all via Vodafone and let them do the subcontracting.

Armed with that useless info, Vodafone was still not able to make mine work, because AT&T owns and controls access. Same was true of the various AT&T partners across Europe I spoke to. I'm sure it could have ultimately been figured out if I hadn't opted to "pull the fuse..."

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Vodafone is only available as a primary carrier in 13 European countries. In the others FordPass has to operate on a different network. So, if Vodafone has the overall contract with Ford, outside the 13, it probably goes to Vodafone partners (CH= Sunrise, BE = Proximus). Otherwise, Ford has separate arrangements with other companies in those places. My guess would be the former--work it all via Vodafone and let them do the subcontracting.
Yes, where Vodafone is not available it operates through other carriers. All EU mobile telephony operators are mandated by law to have roaming agreements with operators from EU countries where they aren't active themselves, and to offer their subscribers roaming services throughout the EU at no extra cost. So if Ford Romania has a contract with Vodafone Romania for the eSIM in the car, that eSIM must be able to work in any other EU country at no extra cost for Ford or the end user. It's Vodafone's job to arrange that.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yes, where Vodafone is not available it operates through other carriers. All EU mobile telephony operators are mandated by law to have roaming agreements with operators from EU countries where they aren't active themselves, and to offer their subscribers roaming services throughout the EU at no extra cost. So if Ford Romania has a contract with Vodafone Romania for the eSIM in the car, that eSIM must be able to work in any other EU country at no extra cost for Ford or the end user. It's Vodafone's job to arrange that.
Yes, I think we all celebrated a couple of years ago when the European cell companies finally dropped their outrageous roaming charges--though still not completely gone. The example of going from Romania to another country is clear. However, if someone buys a Ford in Denmark, where there are no Vodafone stores, the process is less clear.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ford Denmark will have a contract with a Danish carrier, which under EU regulations must have roaming agreements with at least one carrier in each other EU country. So the process is the same.
Indeed, my initial statement was not entirely correct. I said cars made for the European market use Vodafone. I should have said they use European carriers. In Romania's case it's Vodafone.

though still not completely gone
There are some catches. First, they are mandated to offer roaming services at no extra cost to subscribers. Pre-paid mobile plans are not included. And indeed, my wife is on a pre-paid plan, and she has to activate and pay for a temporary roaming option when she leaves the country.
Second, to protect themselves from losing money on cheaper plans, they are allowed to limit the amount of mobile data used in roaming at no extra cost, and to charge for traffic that exceeds that limit, depending on the base value of the subscription. For instance I get 12 GB in Romania, but only 6 GB abroad.
Third, some minor carriers asked for, and received, a temporary exemption from these rules, because they could not afford to implement them at the time and would have gone out of business. I don't know how long the exemption was, but I believe it must be over by now.

Last edited:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Indeed, my initial statement was not entirely correct. I said cars made for the European market use Vodafone. I should have said they use European carriers. In Romania's case it's Vodafone.
That was my main point.
- The carrier in the U.S. with the Ford contract is AT&T--only.
- Ford's contracted carrier seems to vary across Europe, and none (to include Vodafone) seem to know how to interface the the modem on a Shelby (luckily).

There are some catches. First, they are mandated to offer roaming services at no extra cost to subscribers. Pre-paid mobile plans are not included. And indeed, my wife is on a pre-paid plan, and she has to activate and pay for a temporary roaming option when she leaves the country.
Second, to protect themselves from losing money on cheaper plans, they are allowed to limit the amount of mobile data used in roaming at no extra cost, and to charge for traffic that exceeds that limit, depending on the base value of the subscription. For instance I get 12 GB in Romania, but only 6 GB abroad.
Third, some minor carriers asked for, and received, a temporary exemption from these rules, because they could not afford to implement them at the time and would have gone out of business. I don't know how long the exemption was, but I believe it must be over by now.
Aside from data limits, the biggest catch is oneway calling when roaming. It's free to call back to your home (or stationed) country, but costs if you make a call to the country you are physically in while roaming. Took decades to implement and there are still plenty of goofy catches. Almost as bad as insurance companies...

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Well, the idea is to use your phone exactly as you do in your home country. Which I think is fair. To make a call to someone who's located in the same (roaming) country as you, will cost you exactly as much as it would have cost you if you had been at home. So practically there's no extra cost for the roaming service, i.e. the fact that you are temporarily located in a foreign country doesn't change the cost of that particular call at all. I think that's fair. Besides, I wouldn't want it the other way around, because even when I go on holiday or business travel in Germany, most of my phone calls are still to Romanian numbers (friends, family, colleagues, etc.). It would make no sense to have free calls within Germany and international prices for calling home.

Last edited:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If I am in Wyoming and call to Arizona there is no charge. If I then go to Arizona and call back to Wyoming, there is no charge. That to me is no roaming, but the EU is the EU. I guess the current scheme is better than the 10k euro per second roaming charges that existed prior to 2017 (very slight exaggeration)...

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If I am in Wyoming and call to Arizona there is no charge. If I then go to Arizona and call back to Wyoming, there is no charge.
Yeah, but what if you went to Arizona and connected to a different carrier there, because your home carrier from Wyoming wasn't available in Arizona? I bet there would be an extra charge then.
How about going not to Arizona, but to Canada?
Wyoming and Arizona are in the same country (albeit a federal one), and you're using the same carrier in both. That's not roaming. Roaming is when you use a different carrier. In Europe crossing a border, any border, means that you will have to use a different carrier, even if in some cases it might bear the same name. Vodafone Germany is a completely different company from Vodafone Romania. They may ultimately belong to the same British group, but they have nothing else in common. They are different entities, legally as well as fiscally, operating under different jurisdictions. The EU is not a federation.
Under these circumstances, the fact that we are able to use our phones throughout the union at no extra cost (provided, as mentioned, that we use them exactly as we do at home) is no small feat.

I guess the current scheme is better than the 10k euro per second roaming charges that existed prior to 2017 (very slight exaggeration)...
Oh yes, you can say that again. You used to be charged even for incoming calls! And forgetting to turn off mobile data when crossing the border could have spelled bankruptcy... :giggle:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Under these circumstances, the fact that we are able to use our phones throughout the union at no extra cost (provided, as mentioned, that we use them exactly as we do at home) is no small feat.

Oh yes, you can say that again. You used to be charged even for incoming calls! And forgetting to turn off mobile data when crossing the border could have spelled bankruptcy... :giggle:
Just know I am lucking in two regards:
- I don't have small feat (or hands)...
- and the EU system renders my modem useless, so no data for big brother
:giggle:

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
There it is in print. They always spin this that it's great for you. I hope I've deactivated this snooping by removing fuse 10 on my 19 GT, but now I need to figure out how to do this on my 19 Escape and 15 F150.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Well for those on this thread who thought this was just a conspiracy theory check out this story. https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/f...stomers-easy-access-to-usage-based-insurance/
Its funny how when I started this thread how people were making aluminum hat jokes and hinted of paranoia. Hardly anyone knew anything about the data collection. Well, now they do. The linked article pertains to how data is used and shared with insurance companies. What the article does not discuss is how Ford is using the data. You may be able to opt out of insurance related data sharing, but unless you disable the modem, the data stream is still broadcasting back to mother Ford.

From the article:

“Ford is committed to connecting our customers to valuable services that can help them reduce their total cost of ownership and get more out of their Ford vehicle – usage-based insurance is a great opportunity to do that,” said Alex Purdy, director of business operations, enterprise connectivity, Ford Motor Company.

“The addition of Ford to the Verisk Data Exchange will help the growing number of insurers looking to expand their UBI programs with connected cars,” added Karthik Balakrishnan, general manager of Verisk’s telematics business. “We’re excited to connect Ford drivers with these insurers and, most importantly, make it easier for everyone to benefit from UBI.”

Currently, the Exchange contains 6.6 million vehicles and 175 billion miles of driving data, and continues to grow by over 200,000 new vehicles every month.
Sponsored