OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Right.

Check it.

You give Ford money. Ford gives you car. End of transaction.

Or so you thought... now you're roped into sending them an endless stream of data forever?

You think they give your data to the insurance companies for free? When was the last time you received a check in the mail for that data?

That's why they have to say you have a choice to cancel any time. I think you just experienced on the phone how much of a choice you really have.
Hold me beer and watch this. Nice find on the fuse. I'll take it one step further and completely disable the system.

Advertisement

OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I mean, it's 100% possible to program the car to connect to a free Wi-Fi hotspot from outside the coffee shop to send the data, but there's no way they're going that far.

or is there

crap wheres my tinfoil hat
Oh, so cars and coffee is just a conspiracy to collect data in mass? LOL, sorry, I couldn't help myself.....

M.A.N.

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2019 GT350
I can say that I've never owned a car that spied on me. I am a captain of a $100,000,000 aircraft that spies on me, and actively tells on me if i do something that I am not supposed to do. I have no problem with that. I do not own the aircraft. I certainly understand the "trust but verify" approach, especially when I am responsible for 200 souls on board and such a large chunk of change.

In the case of the $107,080 mustang I own.... I bought it..... it is mine. Its nobody's business how i drive it or what I do with it.

So I can honestly say I had no idea Ford was not only spying on us, but also selling our information to insurance companies (and who knows who else). The approach is sneaky and immoral. I feel this way based upon principle. I know certain parts of my cell phone use compromise certain parts of my privacy. I make the choice how I use my technology and I make my own decisions as to what I allow or not.

In Fords approach, I had no idea. I feel blindsided and betrayed. I will take your advice and pull the fuse. Ill get with my tech who says he knows how to completely disable the system and see what he says.

A large corporation becomes a scumbag operation when they resort to such tactics. They ought to be upfront and crystal clear when they install these devices and be truthful about their intent and what they do with your data.

I draw the line when companies are taking a car that I paid for and use it for their own mobile research platform and data sharing endeavor.
I agree Tom, and will be given this a try. But sounds like before I cancel Ford pass I need to go to a Ford dealer and spend my points on motor oil.

lenFeb

Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
The only way your insurance will go up is if you get in an accident in your gt500. That, or points on your license. Stick to backroads, stay away from C&C.

m9Dg4JE.gif
Not true. My insurance premium went up by $2K/6 months because Ford collected my speed data while I was driving on the back roads and reported or sold it to my insurance company. This is real.

Epiphany

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The Telematics Control Unit module can be seen here in orange in the following diagram which depicts the vehicle's various control modules. It operates on the High Speed Controller Area Network 4 (HS-CAN4) "at a maximum data transfer speed of 500 Kbps and is designed for real time audio, multimedia and driver information transfer and control."

TCU and network.JPG

There are probably a few ways to skin this cat with the issue being added complexity when seeking the most detailed method to "better manage" your choice to share or not share certain data sets (if at all). Aside from fuse pulling or antenna blocking/removal, etc, there is likely a way to convince certain module addresses to join the cause of independence and freedom:).

This little gem I link below shows the module address responsible for it all going down, 754 in the TCU. IDS likely won't allow what I'm getting at but FORScan will. You just have to know what is happening at each address and how to get it to work (or not) for you.

TCU module address 754 chart.jpg

The above says there aren't any "available program parameters" but if you understand how this works you know this isn't always true. It just takes a lot of time and testing. And FORScan.

Programmable Parameters.JPG

The following is a screen shot from a comparator tool I use that allows taking a close look at the as built files that were "assigned" to a given vehicle, in this case, mine. The column to the left shows the 754 (TCU) module address, along with relevant data sets and binary code. Those that did the calibration work have all the information that would make this a potentially very simple task (come out, come out, wherever you are!) but thanks to corporate policy and lawyers that would likely never happen. Note that I can scroll down much further as the 754 address goes all the way down to 754-18. Longshot, but there may be something to be uncovered here. I may contact a gentleman that writes as-built files to see how familiar he is in this particular area. He wrote me a file removing the annoying "double-horn honk" a while back when nobody else knew how to do it with the '20 S550 variants.

left2 comparator.JPG

Last edited:
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
The Telematics Control Unit module can be seen here in orange in the following diagram which depicts the vehicle's various control module. It operates on the High Speed Controller Network 4 (HS-CAN4) "at a maximum data transfer speed of 500 Kbps and is designed for real time audio, multimedia and driver information transfer and control."

TCU and network.JPG

There are probably a few ways to skin this cat with the issue being added complexity when seeking the most detailed method to "better manage" your choice to share or not share certain data sets (if at all). Aside from fuse pulling or antenna blocking/removal, etc, there is likely a way to convince certain module addresses to join the cause of independence and freedom:).

This little gem I link below shows the module address responsible for it all going down, 754 in the TCU. IDS likely won't allow what I'm getting at but FORScan will. You just have to know what is happening at each address and how to get it to work (or not) for you.

TCU module address 754 chart.jpg

The above says there aren't any "available program parameters" but if you understand how this works you know this isn't always true. It just takes a lot of time and testing. And FORScan.

Programmable Parameters.JPG

The following is a screen shot from a comparator tool I use that allows taking a close look at the as built files that were "assigned" to a given vehicle, in this case, mine. The column to the left shows the 754 (TCU) module address, along with relevant data sets and binary code. Those that did the calibration work have all the information that would make this a potentially very simple task (come out, come out, wherever you are!) but thanks to corporate policy and lawyers that would likely never happen. Note that I can scroll down much further as the 754 address goes all the way down to 754-18. Longshot, but there may be something to be uncovered here. I may contact a gentleman that writes as-built files to see how familiar he is in this particular area. He wrote me a file removing the annoying "double-horn honk" a while back when nobody else knew how to do it with the '20 S550 variants.

left2 comparator.JPG
Thats funny Tob....

I was just researching the same thing. I found essentially the same information. The APIM is the common bus that delivers data via the HS4-CAN to the TCU. The way I see it is that either depower the TCU or sever the link to the APIM. No more connectivity. However someone asked if the car can use other data data connection means....

I think this is plausible. Notice the APIM has bluetooth connectivity. It would not be a stretch IMHO if the APIM could utilize a bluetooth link to an alternate cellular modem (your cell phone) to link to the Ford servers.

Wifi is out the window IMHO, because it appears the wifi transmitter is part of the TCU. Sever the link or kill the power and that should be the end of data connectivity.

Screenshot (357).png

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
Not true. My insurance premium went up by $2K/6 months because Ford collected my speed data while I was driving on the back roads and reported or sold it to my insurance company. This is real.
Do you have documentation to support this? If this is actually a real phenomenon, action can be taken. If you're just speculating, it's not even useful as anecdotal information. I base my actions on evidence, not hearsay.

Epiphany

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just want to see if there is a way to avoid a "brute force" solution that involves severing a connection to a given module. If you look at the chart in the service manual in section 418-00 (under Group 18 Electrical Distribution) and scroll down to the "communications message chart" you can quickly see how many systems messages are tied into the TCU module. I'd just want to be certain that the only thing you are doing is denying the data from being sent that you want to go no further than the vehicle's own physical network.

drummerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I just want to see if there is a way to avoid a "brute force" solution that involves severing a connection to a given module.
Right, but it's just a modem, isn't it? What else does it do? Why not pull the fuse and sever it? A car doesn't require internet access.

OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I just want to see if there is a way to avoid a "brute force" solution that involves severing a connection to a given module. If you look at the chart in the service manual in section 418-00 (under Group 18 Electrical Distribution) and scroll down to the "communications message chart" you can quickly see how many systems messages are tied into the TCU module. I'd just want to be certain that the only thing you are doing is denying the data from being sent that you want to go no further than the vehicle's own physical network.
Right, but it's just a modem, isn't it? What else does it do? Why not pull the fuse and sever it? A car doesn't require internet access.
You have to understand Tob.... I get it. He is Mr Forscan and if there is a way to tell the modem to shut the F up, then Im all for it. I don't have the time or the patience with all that is going on in my life to reverse engineer a communications protocol, and instruct other modules to ignore others. To me the simple solution is to kill the TCU. Have you had any error messages? Do you have any pending codes?

Epiphany

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No errors, no codes. I have been complying with the thinly veiled data thievery going on while quietly looking for safe, and efficient solutions.

Anyway, note how this starts under the guise of safety...better service...and a happier customer bullshit. Ever wonder why your UPS driver is running his/her ass off with little time to chat? Big Brother has trained them well via constant vehicle monitoring. Watch this one closely on Ford's fleet control software...

lenFeb

Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Do you have documentation to support this? If this is actually a real phenomenon, action can be taken. If you're just speculating, it's not even useful as anecdotal information. I base my actions on evidence, not hearsay.
I don't have any accidents or traffic violation/tickets. When I purchased my GT350 in 2019 I drove the car easy for the break-in period during 6 months policy period. Time for renewal, no increase in premium. Next 6 months, I start driving car spirited and more often. Now my policy is come for renewal with over $2K for 6 month. Again no accidents or tickets. Moreover, I've got good driver discount on my renewal policy. I called my insurance company ad asked to speak with manager. I had lengthy conversation with him. All he was saying that the policy went up due to my driving history. When I asked to explain all he was saying over and over again this is because of my driving history. No valid explanation why my policy increased by over $2K. What other evidence do you need.

Edit: I have other cars on my policy, one of them I drive very spirited and it doesn't have modem or WiFi. This car was on the same insurance policy for over decade. No premium ever increase on this car policy. It's only when I purchased my GT350 which has a modem the policy increased.

Bangarang

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
If my insurance is raised for no reason, I’ll know why, and will remove everything after finding a new insurance company. If Ford really is sending speed data to my insurance, I will be dropped immediately. :clap:

drummerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
To me the simple solution is to kill the TCU. Have you had any error messages? Do you have any pending codes?
Literally zero repercussions. Took her for a spin again this evening, no RF emitting. FordPass still hung up on data from days ago. I'd uninstall FordPass but I figure I'll keep it for a bit in case anyone needs me to test something.

drummerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
BTW, that modem has to be always on and listening in order for you to be able to remotely lock and unlock - no doubt this will also increase battery life.

Advertisement

100 - Vargas Turbo - 1

Advertisement