The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
I think the fuse is located in the Body Control Module (BCM).
F8 - 5 amp - Telematics Control Unit (TCU) Module

Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel

The fuse panel is in the right-hand side of the passenger footwell behind a trim panel and plastic key code card.

To remove the trim panel, lift it from the rear retaining hooks, while pulling it toward you and swinging it away from the side. To reinstall it, line up the tabs with the grooves on the panel, drop the panel back into place, and then push it shut.

To reach the fuse panel, first remove the key code card.

After replacing a fuse, return the key code card to the original position. To reinstall the trim panel, lineup the tabs with the grooves on the panel, drop the panel back into place, and then push it shut to reinstall the trim panel.

2020 Mustang Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel.jpg
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Question to the OP

Have a cell phone, use google, facebook (any social media) Amazon, cable TV, posting on the site, GPS, or any device that connects using an IP... ?

And you're worried about data collection on a car, this is the hill you're choosing to die on ?

You've already LOST the battle/war.

You could be wasting your time. I assume Ford will know how often you change the oil.

Even with all your work disconnecting, from FordPass. The car has a black box as do aircraft fyi. and you ain't going to get around that one.

Insurance companies do not have auto access to the cars day to day operation, they get lawyers to get court orders to retrieve data from the blackbox .

Ins rates going up after tracking the car. Come from the registration documents & wavers signed and filed before hitting the black top .

Rock on

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
My wife's Nautilus has the Lincoln version of the app. And it knows everything: mileage, where the car is at the moment, tire pressures, etc. When it gets close to a service interval, I receive an email from my dealer telling me my current mileage and when they can do the oil change. If I do the oil change and reset the counter, the system knows. So people do have access to and are using the data.
- BTW: My contact tells me the sales people get a bonus for every Ford Pass App they activate. So they push it pretty hard. All they need is an email address or cell number to activate it. When I picked up my GT500, it was already activated. In my case, I had the app on my phone from other vehicles. So he had just added it to my account.

I also read recently that very soon, cars will no longer come with keys. You will use your smartphone to unlock and start your car, etc. Are they using near-field, bluetooth or WiFi? Don't know...
So the database & IT people are hard at work making our lives easier. But Privacy? Long gone.

Have you searched for your spouse on Spokeo.com ? :shock:
If you go through the drill to erase yourself, it all eventually re-populates anyway as they have access to all public records.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Obviously, I had "FIVE" on the brain Earl. I looked at all of them but I'll check again. Odds are quite high it's me. BRB...

Yep, as I figured, it was me fixating on "5." Found the alleged culprit in #8 so Jaime, false alarm.

I went a step further, or think I did...Grabbed the phone, fired up Ford Pass, started the car, and moved her out on to the driveway watching FP.

No messages so I did a refresh with the itsy, bitsy icon. Shortly thereafter, FP told me, "Updated Just Now."

Drove over to the far side of the neighborhood, stopped, repeated.

"Updated one minute ago."

Not sure what to make of that but the vehicle is definitely still communicating with the Ford Pass servers over cellular.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Heck, I'm clueless all the time, Tom..normal OPS. <smile>

Tob just PM'd me with the ETIS info on my girl and as I thought, she has the old software on both counts.

I don't know if Tob did the scan before or after I pulled that breaker but it confirms she is phoning home.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase

Tob just PM'd me with the ETIS info on my girl and as I thought, she has the old software on both counts.

I don't know if Tob did the scan before or after I pulled that breaker but it confirms she is phoning home.

You are saying its still sending data with fuse #8 removed?

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
No, thank you! Looks like i'll be simply pulling the fuse... Last question, will pulling the fuse throw any kind of constant warning lights?
Not on mine.

I just got off the phone with Ford. The paranoia is true. I was informed that they do indeed share data with insurance companies. ........... Folks, this is no bullshit. They are monitoring your driving, position, speeds, parameters, etc and if you have not opted out, they are collecting and sharing your data. If you opt out, they are not supposed to share the data, but mother (F'in) Ford will always be collecting and storing your data.
Well hot damn, I didn't think it would be that easy to get that answer. Thanks for calling.

They collect the data while also making it sound like it is only used with your permission. Bullshit.
This is par for the course with all companies.

Is simply pulling the fuse enough to stop the data collection?
Yes/No - if your car has the ability to connect to your home Wi-Fi, then my guess is it would indeed share over that connection.

And you're worried about data collection on a car, this is the hill you're choosing to die on? You've already LOST the battle/war.
1) You act like we think this is the be all end all to privacy concerns. I encourage you to read my OP in the GT350 sub, particularly the last paragraphs.
2) There are also ways to decrease data collection in other areas as well.

Not sure what to make of that but the vehicle is definitely still communicating with the Ford Pass servers over cellular.
I can say with 100% certainty that my car is not sending any data out after pulling the fuse.

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I can say with 100% certainty that my car is not sending any data out after pulling the fuse.
Jaime: I don't have a meter to detect the cellular RF but there certainly wasn't any other connection to the Web, BT and WiFi were disabled, vehicle was asking to connect... so I'm out of ideas.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Not you kent. Its all these others who think its ok to have your driving habits and data collected.

Sure its futile, jist go alomg with it, right? Google isn't reporting me to my insurance company.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Yep, the road surface conditions are another issue down my way, Mik. However, your idea does seem to be popular down here because, as an early riser, I go out with the dogs in the wee hours and I regularly hear someone doing what you described. :-) Makes me smile every time.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Google isn't reporting me to my insurance company.
A monster "AMEN" to that, Tom but, Mr. G. didn't build your new car, either.

Nonetheless, it irritates me to no end to be powerless to stop it. It's a whole new world out there folks and the data follows you forever.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Not you kent. Its all these others who think its ok to have your driving habits and data collected.

Sure its futile, jist go alomg with it, right? Google isn't reporting me to my insurance company.
My statement was not that I agree with it, nor was it that I don't agree with the concern for it. My point was we are tracked with just about everything we do, and we can not stop it, unfortunately. I avoid it when I can, and thats about all I can do about it.

If a solution is reached here, I will follow suite. Especially if is a simple pull the plug (fuse) solution.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP

I’ve been tracking cars for 20 years, and have never had an insurance increase due to that. Doesn’t mean USAA couldn’t get on the bandwagon. But it not their covered vehicles I track...
I use Grundy for my track cars. They only care about declared value.
Now, if you are daily driving one of these, could be a different story.
Sponsored

Last edited: