marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
I don't use Ford Pass and never signed up for it but had no idea it was "calling home". I never get any notice on the screen like some people get about diagnostics and I never use the in car wifi. Looks like I will be removing that fuse everyone is talking about.

I can however lock, unlock and start my car with my phone from anywhere using my Viper Smart Start app. I install this system in every car and truck I own. I like it because I can track it on a map, disable the starter, check the interior temp, roll windows up and down, monitor the speed it is being driven and my favorite, alert me if the battery is getting low and will start the car and run for 15 minutes to charge the battery. Those are just some of the things it does. I can add a blue tooth module so when I approach the car with my phone in my pocket it unlocks and will lock when I walk away but with the easy entry door handle of this car I did not need it. It does cost me $60 a year for the remote service but I feel it is worth is being able to control my car from anywhere and always knowing where it is among the other features.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
They collect the data while also making it sound like it is only used with your permission. Bullshit.

From Ford...
"Once customers purchase a policy, the connected vehicle will track and share distance driven, hard braking and accelerating, idle time and night driving to establish a policy rate for renewal."
https://media.ford.com/content/ford.../02/21/ford-lincoln-nationwide-insurance.html

The mileage (for example) driven is shown on Ford's ETIS website to anyone that accesses it. The data being collected needs to be under the control of the individual or entity that purchased the vehicle. And if the owner so chooses to shut down collection at the source - so be it. Otherwise, if necessary, the courts will pry it from you as they see fit.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I don't use Ford Pass and never signed up for it but had no idea it was "calling home". I never get any notice on the screen like some people get about diagnostics and I never use the in car wifi. Looks like I will be removing that fuse everyone is talking about.

I can however lock, unlock and start my car with my phone from anywhere using my Viper Smart Start app. I install this system in every car and truck I own. I like it because I can track it on a map, disable the starter, check the interior temp, roll windows up and down, monitor the speed it is being driven and my favorite, alert me if the battery is getting low and will start the car and run for 15 minutes to charge the battery. Those are just some of the things it does. I can add a blue tooth module so when I approach the car with my phone in my pocket it unlocks and will lock when I walk away but with the easy entry door handle of this car I did not need it. It does cost me $60 a year for the remote service but I feel it is worth is being able to control my car from anywhere and always knowing where it is among the other features.
I believe you opted into the data collection and sharing when you bough the car. Either way, call the number I posted and opt out. Then if you are so inclined, disable the modem.

Sponsored

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
Mark I am willing to bet they also sell your data
Jaime, maybe Viper sells my data, I don't know. I never have really looked at the privacy statement but when I get time I will and let you know. I have used this system since 2004 and to my knowledge I have not been aware of anything to lead me to believe they use my info.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Y'all are over thinking this.

u30cau8jv9111.jpg
And maybe you haven't given this any real thought at all. If they are reporting to insurance companies, it is a big deal..... especially if you drive your GT500 like it was meant to be driven.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I just got off the phone with Ford. The paranoia is true. I was informed that they do indeed share data with insurance companies. She didnt understand my concern. She said most people want it so that they can get insurance discounts for safe driving. I calmly and politely explained that this is the GT500, A high performance, 760 horsepower sports car that nobody, and I mean nobody would want their data being shared with an insurance company. She opted me out of all the data sharing.

Next I asked about disabling the data link. She asked why I would want to do that. I told her that there is a publication out that states for me to call to accomplish this. I wish to accomplish this.

I was transfered to "in vehicle technology" and was informed that this cannot be done. It is integral to the car and it will always record and report data. I said I don't want my car to record and report data. He suggested I bring it into a dealership and see what the service department could do. I said, well how about I pull the 5 amp fuse that powers the TCU? "but sir... why would you want to do that" and "I cannot recommend you do that"

Folks, this is no bullshit. They are monitoring your driving, position, speeds, parameters, etc and if you have not opted out, they are collecting and sharing your data. If you opt out, they are not supposed to share the data, but mother (F'in) Ford will always be collecting and storing your data.
Just got off the phone with Ford at the phone number Tom provided. Here's the deal. The people at Ford Pass aren't seeing data in their system if you chose not to participate or to opt out, allegedly. I was told that my TCU shows no updates. When I explained that I was actually looking at the TCU data transmission dates in ETIS, and it has indeed been transmitting data to Ford, the gentleman explained that he doesn't have access to ETIS and that as far as he knew that data wasn't being collected. I then further explained that I can see the mileage of the vehicle on the site every time I log in. Again, he had no knowledge beyond Ford Pass. I let him know that I in no way agree to any of the vehicle data be shared with Ford unless I bring it in for service. He acknowledged and spoke about the "master reset." Long story short, they are still collecting data. I do not approve of this.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
And that is my problem. You can opt out of data sharing, but you cannot opt out of data collection.

Venomous Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500/2019 F-350 / 2021 Bronco First Edition
And that is my problem. You can opt out of data sharing, but you cannot opt out of data collection.

Agreed, I’m sure Ford is not the only company doing this as I know people with Chevy products that have identical apps and connectivity. Is simply pulling the fuse enough to stop the data collection?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Agreed, I’m sure Ford is not the only company doing this as I know people with Chevy products that have identical apps and connectivity. Is simply pulling the fuse enough to stop the data collection?
turn off the modem, and yes, data stops. It is a question of what other systems will be affected. Think of it as a built in cell phone. That is all this is. Mobile data via the ATT network.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Stick to backroads, stay away from C&C.
Mik: I wish it were that easy but for many, finding those back roads is nearly impossible without driving a long distance.

And again, Tom et al, for whatever reason, there was no 5A fuse in the $5 position on my car. I have seen no error messages, (I know, that doesn't mean much,) but I have to wonder what's different? I suppose it could have been left out in Flat Rock but I would think those gadgets would come pre-filled prior to installation and, QA'd.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
I read somewhere that after you have had the FordPass membership for 6 months, you could cancel and don't have to forfeit the accrued points.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Mik: I wish it were that easy but for many, finding those back roads is nearly impossible without driving a long distance.

And again, Tom et al, for whatever reason, there was no 5A fuse in the $5 position on my car. I have seen no error messages, (I know, that doesn't mean much,) but I have to wonder what's different? I suppose it could have been left out in Flat Rock but I would think those gadgets would come pre-filled prior to installation and, QA'd.
I am now wondering if there is more than a shark fin antenna difference between job 1 and job 2 cars.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Me too, brother and if someone else discovers that they don't have a fuse there either, I suppose we'll know if it's just mine or something else. And BTW, the copy of the manual I have says that position is "not used."
Sponsored