Sponsored

The Big Fat Track Car Cooling Thread

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, I wish I had seen your setup before I bought my giant intercooler and the
20190208_184439.jpg
PXL_20210403_203248739.jpg
oil cooler. My intercooler comes forward and extends up to about level with the tip of the crash bar, making it virtually impossible for much air to reach the lower part of the rad. And I'm probably compounding my problems by placing an oil cooler in front of the rad. I'm tempted to undo this and start over :(
granted I didn't test mine under HPDE conditions but this is all the same stuff I did to my EB. I think you need to change out the crash bar with the round one like you see a few posts up and that will dramatically improve access to air.

The big IC was very effective. I didn't box anything. If I buy-back my EB I will definitely do some updates to it.
Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I think you need to change out the crash bar with the round one like you see a few posts up and that will dramatically improve access to air.
I noticed that thinner bar. However, unless you cut open the bumper cover, I don't see how it's going to let more air get to the rad?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed that thinner bar. However, unless you cut open the bumper cover, I don't see how it's going to let more air get to the rad?
you can only cram about 30-35mph worth of air thru a radiator so completely open front is not important. What you don't want is air just spilling over the side when it encounters a semi-permeable surface, or causing all kinds of turbulence in front of the radiator face, nor 'shadow' areas where air can't actually get in - eg. right behind the crash bar.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coropla...te-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheet-CP4896S/205351385

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Damn, I wish I had seen your setup before I bought my giant intercooler and the
20190208_184439.jpg
PXL_20210403_203248739.jpg
oil cooler. My intercooler comes forward and extends up to about level with the tip of the crash bar, making it virtually impossible for much air to reach the lower part of the rad. And I'm probably compounding my problems by placing an oil cooler in front of the rad. I'm tempted to undo this and start over :(
Regarding the oil cooler location:
It’s why I went with the Harrop oil cooler
It seat parallel to the ground
https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/engine-oil-cooler-ford-mustang-gt

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
good gawd, that price! We need to beat up @SteedaTech to kindly put a system together using the various parts they already sell. I've emailed them a proposal but no response...
They have an office in the USA and me and my friend john were the 2 first customers
We paid about $875
Really quality kit using a Setrab cooler

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
how about taking a 2" hole saw and swiss-cheezing the fan panel?
You can i guess but still not the same of only fan. Ifncar is daily i would keep the shroud. Shorud really work when car sitting at traffic.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can i guess but still not the same of only fan. Ifncar is daily i would keep the shroud. Shorud really work when car sitting at traffic.
because it's causing a negative pressure... So isn't the car running the fan constantly at track? Is it jus that the airflow with fan is not nearly enough to to keep up with what is possible if the shroud were removed and ram air was doing it's thing?

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
Grr.. In a bad mood....

Am I wrong to say that the car was not made to withstand temperature impacts when under harsh conditions?

Did what I thought would do a lot to avoid overheating for just a chap that's trying to have some fun.

(Lizardskin thermal coating on intake parts/Exhaust wrap galore/ Hood vent upgrade/Front fascia upgrade/Mishimoto Reservoir/Uh... and a diffuser! Like that matters!)

Sorry, in a bad mood.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
do you have metrics on effectiveness? eg. boxed rads were worth 20F in coolant temp reduction?

With motorcycles esp dirt bikes the rads are 'boxed' (sorta) and they use vanes to also cut down on the turbulence in the inlet area. I'm tempted to try adding vanes to a boxed setup for giggles if nothing else.

How deep of a box is that? about 2 inches? Have you tried ducting the fans?
No metrics. Only thing I kept track of was how long I could drive flat out for until temps got into 240’s and then I’d need to pull rpm.

The most effective mod was definitely the boxed rad, and the more effort I put into completely sealing it the better the result. The hood vents were installed after the boxing in, so can’t say how it would perform on own, but based on experience of fellow track guys, it seems that cooling won’t be effective if airflow can bypass the radiator.

Deepness of box is roughly from side edge of radiator to just behind bumper bar

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
because it's causing a negative pressure... So isn't the car running the fan constantly at track? Is it jus that the airflow with fan is not nearly enough to to keep up with what is possible if the shroud were removed and ram air was doing it's thing?
When car is running you don't need Fans.
Is when you stop.
En fact many race cars don't even have fans. And no one has shroud.
The less barrier you have the more air flow you got at speed. Shroud does a great job when is the fan pulling air.
Thats also why the OEM shroud has some windows/flaps opening at speed on the side.

Here some real data.
I like what racelouvers does. I have vents everywhere cause i really like the science behind.

IMG_20210409_090118_895.jpg

Attachments

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
When car is running you don't need Fans.
Is when you stop.
In fact many race cars don't even have fans. And no one has shroud.
Fans are only common if you have to do standing starts, because spending a couple minutes gridding up and can overheat the engine at the worst possible time, so we agree there. Almost every purpose built racecar has proper ducting to the rads, though. Good ones address entry and exit flow.

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
They have an office in the USA and me and my friend john were the 2 first customers
We paid about $875
Really quality kit using a Setrab cooler
When I spoke to them they only had version for RHD, do they have a LHD version now? Who did you talk to over there? I talked to them last January and they said they were having too much trouble with an LHD kit and were probably going to abandon the project.

@db232, did you ever hear from the USA office?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here some real data.
thanks for the citation. Given that data (mere 5% improvement with vent over no-shroud) I will be swiss-cheesing my fan shroud instead, saving the money on vents and extra hood, and spending a veritable fortune ($20) on boxing the radiator(s).
Sponsored