Sponsored

The best track car?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Before I decided to get a GT for my new Mustang, I was seriously considering buying a 2.3L to convert into a track car. Basically, I wonder how much weight would be shaved off a base model EB MT-82, if you did a bunch of mods. Maybe you guys could shed some light on how much weight would be saved if I had done the following...

- Anderson cf Hood
- Anderson cf Trunk
- Anderson cf front fascia
- Koenig Dekagram wheels
- Michelin 285/35/19's
- Ford Performance springs/sway bars
- K-Member
- Shrader rear seat Delete.
- Lund Ngauge and tune.

Basically take a $20,000 EB base model stick shift, and throw $6,000 worth of goodies at it to lighten it, and tune it up to a good 350+hp. Lower it, stiffen it up for the track. I wonder if it would be too difficult to get it down to 3,000lbs.

I just can't help but wonder what might have been. Has anyone here gone to this extent with the new Ecoboost?
Sponsored

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
You're gonna have a helluva time shaving 700lbs off of the car and still make it track worthy. Not to mention 350+ hp without building the motor is not going to be reliable for long, especially under constant abuse that would come with a track car.

You'd be a lot better off thowing some mods at your GT and using it as an occasional track car.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You're gonna have a helluva time shaving 700lbs off of the car and still make it track worthy. Not to mention 350+ hp without building the motor is not going to be reliable for long, especially under constant abuse that would come with a track car.

You'd be a lot better off thowing some mods at your GT and using it as an occasional track car.
Well, the base weight of the GT is 3,708lbs or so. I thought the EB weighed in around 3,400-3,500. You're right, shaving that much weight isn't very reasonable.

Mach4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R, 11' GT500, 07' GT500, 04' Mach 1
Before I decided to get a GT for my new Mustang, I was seriously considering buying a 2.3L to convert into a track car. Basically, I wonder how much weight would be shaved off a base model EB MT-82, if you did a bunch of mods. Maybe you guys could shed some light on how much weight would be saved if I had done the following...

- Anderson cf Hood
- Anderson cf Trunk
- Koenig Dekagram wheels
- Michelin 285/35/19's
- K-Member
- Lund Ngauge and tune.

Basically take a $20,000 EB base model stick shift, and throw $6,000 worth of goodies at it to lighten it, and tune it up to a good 350+hp. Lower it, stiffen it up for the track. I wonder if it would be too difficult to get it down to 3,000lbs.

I just can't help but wonder what might have been. Has anyone here gone to this extent with the new Ecoboost?
I have a GT350R so here's some weights
Anderson CF hood saved me 8 lbs (factory hood is aluminum)
CF trunk will save you 10 lbs (same trunk on all mustangs)
I have the "Wet" carbon hood and trunk, if you go "Dry" it will save a little bit more
but it's a lot more expensive
I just added Dry Anderson doors, they saved 31 lbs per side, installing lexan door glass this weekend
that will get you another 6 lbs per door

Some other things to consider
CF driveshaft saved 8 lbs
Voltpheaks lithium battery saved 21lbs http://voltphreaks.com/
Lexan rear window saved 8 lbs
Sparco seats installed saved 25 lbs total for both
Carbon Ceramic front rotors saved 16 lbs per side

If you decide to get some Anderson CF use my discount code "VODOOV8" it will save you 20% their website
The link is below to
Thanks
Paul

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo

- Anderson cf Hood
- Anderson cf Trunk
- Koenig Dekagram wheels
- Michelin 285/35/19's
- K-Member
- Lund Ngauge and tune.

Not exactly the same route but check out the Steeda Q350. From what I have been told they can at least hold their own against the GT350's at Sebring.

http://www.steedavehicles.com/#/steeda-sportedition/

Sponsored

Mach4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Not exactly the same route but check out the Steeda Q350. From what I have been told they can at least hold their own against the GT350's at Sebring.

http://www.steedavehicles.com/#/steeda-sportedition/
I would like to see that, especially if they were running similar rubber, that Q350 comes Nitto NT05's vs the MPSS that the GT350 comes with, 200tw against 320tw
Not to mention who's driving them? :)
Horsepower rules on the road course! lol

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What is your track experience and what is the goal of the car when you say "track car"?

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What is your track experience and what is the goal of the car when you say "track car"?

Track experience...ZERO.

That's why I got a GT, because I really "needed" a fun daily driver. My point is that at one point of looking at new cars, I was really thinking about getting into doing quite a bit of track racing as a potential hobby. So, I was looking at base model EB's as an initial daily driver, but wondering what it would take to convert into a more devoted track car. So, like i said, it really was more of a what if, or what could have been. The cheaper 2.3L would have allotted me more capital to modify for a fun track car. In the end, I decided to get a GT as my daily car that I can still really enjoy driving on a regular basis.
The thing that really intrigued me about the EB, was it was quite affordable, and that it felt so nimble. The front end really moved around quite easily compared to my GT. Almost as if it would make a much funner track car than a GT, even if it wasn't as fast or powerful. While doing all the test drives, I could just imagine how that thing would behave, if you could get that 3,500lbs down closer to 3,000 with a much lower and stiffer suspension. Not an east task though.
Honestly, I'm not even in the mindset of getting into track racing now. I started this thread in the other forum by accident, as more of a "what could have been". I'm curious if anyone in here has really done some extensive work on an EcoBoost, and whether they felt their results were worth it or not.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I would like to see that, especially if they were running similar rubber, that Q350 comes Nitto NT05's vs the MPSS that the GT350 comes with, 200tw against 320tw
Not to mention who's driving them? :)
Horsepower rules on the road course! lol
I would too. Half of the year I'm a half hour from the track. I'm going to check it out. Will report back.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Well, you've got the GT, so there you go. The mods listed above don't even get you half-way to your 500 lbs weight loss goal anyway, so you don't have to worry about that anymore.

I'd rather track the GT than an ecoboost anyway. Front end feel is overrated :) You can get a GT to turn pretty well when you know what to change.

If you can scratch up the entry fee (and track insurance), try to get your GT on the track sometime. They do really well and its a ton of fun.

Sponsored

Mach4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
While doing all the test drives, I could just imagine how that thing would behave, if you could get that 3,500lbs down closer to 3,000 with a much lower and stiffer suspension. Not an east task though.
I don't think it's feasible, sure anything is possible but....
I've taken 210 lbs out of my R, I'm down to 3450 and it's working out to be around $100 per lb.
So unless your going to gut and cut your car up, I really don't see you getting to 3000 lbs?

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
If you want a TRACK car, don't forget about removing the AC, washer bottle and lines, infotainment, and gutting the interior. The interior(seats excluded) is probably worth about 60lbs, AC another 30, washer bottle and lines maybe 5. You'll be adding more than that back to it if you cage the car...

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Track experience...ZERO.

That's why I got a GT, because I really "needed" a fun daily driver. My point is that at one point of looking at new cars, I was really thinking about getting into doing quite a bit of track racing as a potential hobby. So, I was looking at base model EB's as an initial daily driver, but wondering what it would take to convert into a more devoted track car. So, like i said, it really was more of a what if, or what could have been. The cheaper 2.3L would have allotted me more capital to modify for a fun track car. In the end, I decided to get a GT as my daily car that I can still really enjoy driving on a regular basis.
The thing that really intrigued me about the EB, was it was quite affordable, and that it felt so nimble. The front end really moved around quite easily compared to my GT. Almost as if it would make a much funner track car than a GT, even if it wasn't as fast or powerful. While doing all the test drives, I could just imagine how that thing would behave, if you could get that 3,500lbs down closer to 3,000 with a much lower and stiffer suspension. Not an east task though.
Honestly, I'm not even in the mindset of getting into track racing now. I started this thread in the other forum by accident, as more of a "what could have been". I'm curious if anyone in here has really done some extensive work on an EcoBoost, and whether they felt their results were worth it or not.
Want a track car after spending about $25k, including the car? Buy a used Miata and LS swap it. Put good rubber and a roll cage in. Done.

JR

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
Want a track car after spending about $25k, including the car? Buy a used Miata and LS swap it. Put good rubber and a roll cage in. Done.

JR
If he has ZERO track experience, I'd just buy the miata for $6k, spend the rest on track time/tires/etc. I'd get some experience before "building" an all out track car. Just my humble advice for the OP.
Sponsored