Sponsored

The Big Fat Track Car Cooling Thread

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
This thread is to help gain cooling efficiencies in all systems on S550 track cars.

Background: I have a 2016 Mustang GT base model. The only option it has is the performance package(PP).

After doing a few full speed hot laps with outside temp being 80ish degrees, the car will be at:

-230+ degrees on water temp
-the oil temp will be on the outer edge of normal range/spectrum

Additionally,
-rear differential fluid has reached 290+ after 30 minute sessions (warning triggered at 293 degrees). The fluid looked cooked when drained
-transmission has not given me any issues and fluid looked ok when drained

ENGINE COOLANT SYSTEM INFORMATION AND TEMPERATURE MITIGATIONS: According to Mishimoto, non PP radiators are 25mm and PP are 36mm cores. Most new cars run hotter due to many reasons. My car sees an average temp between 205-215 degrees while cruising. That gives a delta T to 230 of just 15 degrees worst case scenerio.

My first round of cooling systems mods will be:
-100% water plus water wetter
-170 degree thermostat

I'm trying really hard not to dig into my ecu, but if I am still having issues, I'll hook hptuners up and set the fans to come on earlier.

If that doesn't work, I'll order the Mishimoto radiator.

Coolant and oil cooling in the engine are somewhat complimentary. I'll see if there is any change to the oil temp as well. If not, I'll start looking at oil coolers.

Rear Differential is now running Amsoil 75w110. I'll see if I get the warning at Road Atlanta. I'm also trying to find a way to monitor the diff temp sensor. It doesn't read on a blue tooth OBD II sensor with any of the android apps. I've tried several PIDs without luck. The nGauge also doesn't show the diff temp. I'm not sure if hptuners does or not. It will be one of the first things I check if/when I plug it up. If anyone finds a way to monitor the stock diff temp sensor, please share.

I think I'll most likely end up adding a rear diff cooler back here as well.

I'll be trying this at Road Atlanta on June 4-5.

I'll update this post periodically as we figure out things that work.

I'm sure there are typos as im on my phone on vacation. Sorry about that.
Sponsored

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
What ratio of water to Water Wetter?
One entire bottle of water wetter plus the amount of water it takes to fill the rest of the system.

After draining the OEM coolant that is.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
You're dead on Brent with your cooling strategy.

Water Wetter dropped my temps a solid 5 degrees.

The only reason I put a Mishimoto radiator in was because I had high oil temps.

Then with oil coolers and the aluminum radiator my cooling issues were gone, even in 90+F weather at the track.

I believe there is a heat exchanger above the oil filter on the PP GT where coolant flows through.

If I were you I'd do the water wetter and then loop the coolant line to flow back into the radiator.

On every car I've built I've done this as the coolant starts to just heat up the oil too much.

I would try that, the next step after that would be to do the oil cooler.

I've done a few oil cooler setups and have done a lot of testing.

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Is there way to keep the fans on with the engine off while sitting around in grid/paddock? Might be worth doing if you can't currently.

Sponsored

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
sub'd....gets hot around here in the summer, valley climate

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
What about running e85?

Simmons
It does, however I have found it to be a hassle since all of the tracks I go to do not have e85.

In the end running pump gas with better coolers was the answer.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Subbing for updates. I've ordered a Mishimoto GT radiator, will report back when I get it.

I looked through my HP Tuner PID list. Don't see diff temp, but I'm 2015. The ECM also has tables for engine oil temp and transmission temp, but I don't see a PID for that either. Here is a 2015 temp vs rpm limits for info:
1463104835.Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 8.59.53 PM.png

Sponsored

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
It does, however I have found it to be a hassle since all of the tracks I go to do not have e85.

In the end running pump gas with better coolers was the answer.
I happen to have an e85 pump 2 miles away. Unless I am carting around wheels - which it is starting to look like - I was thinking I could have up to 30 gallons in the trunk!

EDIT: I have one empty 5 gal tank of 100 Super Sport ready for use, and 2 more filled 100 gas cans. Stirs the thought of what kind of gas cans might be available that fit well into trunk space.

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
What about running e85?

Simmons
I see this as apples to oranges mostly. We all know e85 has a lower ignition temperature than gas, which gives you lower combustion chamber temps. This helps with detonation. This helps if your IAT are higher going in. This doesn't necessarily help the coolant or oil temps though. Certainly doesn't hurt, but I don't know that you would see any significant drop in engine coolant or oil temps.

Like Anthony said, power isn't everything. I subscribe to the "keep it reliable, easy to work on, and (if possible) parts readily available" mindset. I posted this in another thread, but I had a friend that previously used E85 in his suburu. He would haul two 55 gallon drums to the track to make it through a race weekend. You also get into some legal issues transporting large quantities of fuel (and obviously you would need a truck and trailer). Maybe out West there are E85 pumps close to the track, but I've never been to one on the East Coast or Mid West that does. It is a little more important for the ecoboost turbo cars to run E85 from a reliability perspective with all the heat the turbo generates.

MEAN427

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Forrest
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Premium, 67 Fastback 427
Hey folks with the 2016s and are trying to find a way to read diff temps. I got clarification from lund about the ngauge:
"The sensor reading on the diff is a DMR, rather than a generic PID which is what the nGauge reads and displays. We haven't yet released nGauge firmware that reads that DMR file, but it will be available in the future for you to download and update with. Cars with trans temp sensors have a TOT reading which can be displayed on the nGauge."

Maybe if enough folks pester them about the diff temp sensor they will make the update in the software sooner than later....