Sponsored

Steeda RLCA spherical bushing installation?

Bullitt_3461

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang Mach 1
Awesome thread, I did this for my passenger side a few weeks ago and the oem bearing pressed out easily.

While pressing in the Steeda bearing a bunch of metal shavings came out the other end and clearly I didn't have it lined up good enough. A friend and the shop owner were watching me use their tools to do this and they both said I would be fine and to just run it but I couldn't let my 50k car just stay like that.

I bought 2 new LCA's from Ford and a new set of Steeda spherical bearings to press in while out of the car so I can do it perfect and swap them into the car.

The problem I now have is that my car is a 2019 Bullitt with magna ride and the LCA's I ordered from Ford do not have threads for the sensor that comes off the shock and bolts into the LCA. It's the holes that you have a bolt in the top photo.

Anyone here experience this?
Sponsored

yellowstangatl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Orange Fury GT
Awesome thread, I did this for my passenger side a few weeks ago and the oem bearing pressed out easily.

While pressing in the Steeda bearing a bunch of metal shavings came out the other end and clearly I didn't have it lined up good enough. A friend and the shop owner were watching me use their tools to do this and they both said I would be fine and to just run it but I couldn't let my 50k car just stay like that.

I bought 2 new LCA's from Ford and a new set of Steeda spherical bearings to press in while out of the car so I can do it perfect and swap them into the car.

The problem I now have is that my car is a 2019 Bullitt with magna ride and the LCA's I ordered from Ford do not have threads for the sensor that comes off the shock and bolts into the LCA. It's the holes that you have a bolt in the top photo.

You just need to tap the threads for that hole.

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

Could you use a deburring tool to clean up the shavings around the bearing? They may clean up nicely and look as good as new. On mine, there was a very small amount of shavings that came out the end once the bearing was pressed in. If you look closely in the pics you will be able to see what I’m talking about.

Will you please post photos of the damaged control arms, as they may help others who go down this road of installing spherical bearings?
20A09E68-5640-49E6-8A6F-58FD91D11E10.jpeg
420BAC49-990E-4D46-B888-CCE4D678DB96.jpeg

Bullitt_3461

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang Mach 1
You just need to tap the threads for that hole.
Why would Ford make people do that? I think I can sort of see threads at the very bottom but it's hard to tell.

Could you use a deburring tool to clean up the shavings around the bearing? They may clean up nicely and look as good as new. On mine, there was a very small amount of shavings that came out the end once the bearing was pressed in. If you look closely in the pics you will be able to see what I’m talking about.

Will you please post photos of the damaged control arms, as they may help others who go down this road of installing spherical bearings?
20A09E68-5640-49E6-8A6F-58FD91D11E10.jpeg
420BAC49-990E-4D46-B888-CCE4D678DB96.jpeg
I already put the car back together without taking photos, the amount of metal that came out of mine was pretty significant imo - which is why I went ahead and bought 2 new lca's to get them done professionally.

My main concern is the sensor.

Danmg202

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt- 401a - PP1
Something like this?

20200406_152431.jpg

Sponsored

Bullitt_3461

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang Mach 1

Danmg202

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt- 401a - PP1
Yes! This is exactly what happened to me. What has been your experience with this?
It was pressing in very smoothly right till the last 1/8 of an inch, the press hung up for a moment like it hit something hard then it actually popped in further than needed and spat out a bit of aluminum. It was on a really merciless bastard of a hydraulic press. I flipped it over, pressed it back a 1/16 to be flush.

I cleaned the next one more thoroughly and used lots of lubrication. Had a similar hang up anyhow but didn't spit out any lip fortunately. I'm just running it and it's been fine so far. I bought a cheap replacement arm if I ever start losing my nerve about it.
Sponsored