Steeda RLCA bearings & diff bushings on

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
So I had a local shop install Steeda rear LCA bearings on my car as well as Steeda urethane differential bushings. I originally went there for an alignment, a 2nd check on the suspension and ride height, and an oil change. But, I decided that I wanted these pieces also to hopefully complete the rear end. The testimonies of [MENTION=21494]wildcatgoal[/MENTION] and Kelly from BMR and others convinced me that the LCA bearings are a very important and significant mod to the suspension, so I just couldn't see not doing it. After I saw BMR's wheel hop testing video, I was shocked by the violent jarring motions of the entire IRS assembly. Frankly it scared me. That kind of deflection and geometry changes under hard acceleration doesn't sit well with me. So I felt that maybe I should done this from the beginning. And the diff bushings I wanted to do to further aid my traction. So why not add that too?

Disclaimer: I am a fan of BMR and really chose Steeda bc of the price mainly and bc the tool for removal and replacement was also included to help things. I felt confident in either brand.

My initial observations are good. The car felt really good in the first day of driving. I noticed a change surprisingly right when I pulled off the lot. The car felt different. It's hard to explain.

The rear feels so much more connected. I mean with the other parts I already had - shocks, springs, cradle lockout, vertical links, toe rods, toe knuckle bearing..sway bars...it was already stiff in the rear, but still an off feeling. A mushiness hard to explain. Hard to place. Now it feels like the rear end is connected. I can actually feel the suspension articulating like it is moving more freely. In normal driving this sensation was very evident. It felt weird because it's different from the car I know. It feels very weird and I am going to have to get used to it.

Didn't really get to push the car much, but the few times I did it felt good. I stepped away around a few corners from a stop and have more confidence in it and it stayed where I wanted it to. Feels more willing to pounce.

The differential bushings I can feel a difference in the shifting. I feel like the car is more connected to the driveline. Acceleration feels a bit more predictable thus far. Downshifts have a very different feeling.

I'm happy to have my car back and so far I don't hear any noises knock on wood. I have to drive it more and get used to it to see how it does. But I am not feeling any more NVH yet, but maybe it's too soon to tell. It's just a different feeling because I think the rear suspension is working more freely. No official verdict because I can't really know until I drive it for awhile. Long short I feel differences right off the bat.

Edit: I should add that I opted for the black urethane diff bushings. There are 2 options in the kit - black or red. The black ones are a higher durometer than the red ones.
Sponsored

Last edited:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Congrats on the installation, glad you like it!

All of what you're feeling (improvements) are the same with my car.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Oh and the mechanic said that the LCA bearings were a b**** to install. They used a 25 ton press. But he said the tool Steeda included really helped out. And, he checked my bumpsteer kit and said it was installed and adjusted correctly so extra peace of mind there. He also reduced the sway bar stiffness to full soft as I requested to him and I think I will like that.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Congrats on the installation, glad you like it!

All of what you're feeling (improvements) are the same with my car.
I should also thank you for your posts. I think it was your thread about them that pushed me over the edge for the LCA bearings.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Oh and the mechanic said that the LCA bearings were a b**** to install. They used a 25 ton press. But he said the tool Steeda included really helped out. And, he checked my bumpsteer kit and said it was installed and adjusted correctly so extra peace of mind there. He also reduced the sway bar stiffness to full soft as I requested to him and I think I will like that.
Pressing a bushing that size out and especially pressing a bearing so tightly toleranced back in is not fun... hence me not even bothering myself! Haha. :headbang:

Sponsored

GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'm doing those exact same mods on Saturday haha. Glad to hear they are worth the money. I managed to get mine done with a ball joint press and a vice, wasn't too terrible. I did bust my knuckle pretty nicely though, would have been a lot easier with a press. Thanks for the review!

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I'm doing those exact same mods on Saturday haha. Glad to hear they are worth the money. I managed to get mine done with a ball joint press and a vice, wasn't too terrible. I did bust my knuckle pretty nicely though, would have been a lot easier with a press. Thanks for the review!
Haha! That's funny. The car feels so stiff now. I can feel everything in the road. For me it's now like the ultimate in "feel the road sensation". I don't think a lot people would want to drive my car, unless they were a Mustang enthusiast or someone who likes firm riding, stiff sports car type stuff. It reminds me a bit of a BMW that I've driven in years ago but maybe a tad stiffer than that.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Great to hear and glad you went with Streeda!

If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to let Steeda Tech Or me know ... always available!

Best Regards,

TJ

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Haha! That's funny. The car feels so stiff now. I can feel everything in the road. For me it's now like the ultimate in "feel the road sensation". I don't think a lot people would want to drive my car, unless they were a Mustang enthusiast or someone who likes firm riding, stiff sports car type stuff. It reminds me a bit of a BMW that I've driven in years ago but maybe a tad stiffer than that.
I just had my LCA done this last weekend...my experience seems to mirror yours.

I'm noticing that with speed, it is actually less harsh than usual (BMR handling spring on rear), but on super low speed (0-10mph, parking lot stuff) you can feel more the road. I had the knuckle bearing replaced a month ago...maybe the LCA adds or multiply their effect.

Before the LCA, I had a pretty damn stiff spring, but yet it felt somehow disconnected, as you have said. It's like, the suspension is not there or not effective when slower, then it somehow begins to work at certain speed. Now with the LCA is ON all the time.

Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
A 980 lbs. spring (BMR Handling) will upset bushings like a mofo. Going spherical is a must.
What exactly do you mean "upset"? Bottoming out?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
No. A stiffer spring is going to put more stress on any soft rubber bushing. That particular spring is 980 lbs. and linear - it is STIFF; it's not really a daily driver keep things soft and cuddly spring. Upset = stress. Wrong wording, I guess. Bearings will eliminate that movement, as you are keenly noticing. I certainly don't mean bottom out. That's not going to happen.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I just had my LCA done this last weekend...my experience seems to mirror yours.

I'm noticing that with speed, it is actually less harsh than usual (BMR handling spring on rear), but on super low speed (0-10mph, parking lot stuff) you can feel more the road. I had the knuckle bearing replaced a month ago...maybe the LCA adds or multiply their effect.

Before the LCA, I had a pretty damn stiff spring, but yet it felt somehow disconnected, as you have said. It's like, the suspension is not there or not effective when slower, then it somehow begins to work at certain speed. Now with the LCA is ON all the time.
I think you made a key point. A big difference is in how the rear suspension acts at low speeds I have noticed. More articulation, MORE road feel, less unsettling feeling. Before when it got up to speed, everything is moving more or less the same speed and the forces acting on the suspension are more or less equalized by the high speed of travel. But at lower speeds, bumps and road irregularities come more into play and the suspension has to be able to articulate to deal with those forces and the weight transfer of the chassis. It got to the point where it was gosh darn annoying at times.

So far I feel better NVH in terms of that. The weight transfer is more desirable. Just the way the car feels is more predictable and even though I feel the road more, it's not sloppy or bouncing around in odd motions.

And it is strange because Id gotten used to car a certain way for so long. So I think in the end I will have more road feel and response but in a better, more predictable way.

The car feels more willing to pounce as I said previously. It's almost like a house cat vs a pouncing tiger. It launches forward with a greater tendency. It feels very eager. More connection to the driveline, chassis and suspension.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
OK now to the real review. I got the push the car a little bit on some back roads to see more what it could do.

Now to me this feels like a sports car or semi race car like. The car is super tight and has a lot of road feel. Suspension feels pliable and articulate at speed. Instant communication with the ground now and fast vehicle reaction time.

Here is full mod list now:

Steeda bumpsteer kit, Steeda LCA bearing*, Steeda black diff inserts*, BMR cradle lockout, BMR vertical links (Delrin/spherical), BMR sway bars on full soft front and rear, BMR adj toe rods, BMR camber bolts and Ford Racing track springs and dampers. Gibson cat back and Lund FF tune running 93.

These last two mods has made it feel like a complete package of handling. Power delivery is more immediate and the car feels completely planted and nearly unflappable in throttle and shifts in the corners. On the bumpier sections of road, the car ate them up at higher speeds and it was glued to the road. The understeer is gone and the car feels very balanced and predictable. Bumps are less upsetting the chassis overall, which has led to more stability. I feel every imperfection in the road which when going slow is not as comfortable. But at higher speeds and corners it's amazing and fun as heck to drive.

It's a busier ride and a far more engaging driving experience for many reasons. More road feel, more direct shifts and power delivery, all of it combined. After a little while I struck a connection with it and learned what the car wanted me to do. The communication with the road and all of that. Just learning the setup and the car. I did not notice any wheel hop, only wheel spins from my crap tires.

Now onto the downsides really- the NVH has in fact increased. I did not realize it first, but now I do. There is noticeable gear whine at certain RPMs, around 2500-3000 rpm I noticed it most. Winding through the RPMs, with the Gibson Xpipe it feels like the car is roaring to life. With the radio on it is fine, but if I were to have the radio off all the time the gear whine would bug me a little bit. But honestly I don't think it will be a deal breaker for me. I imagine aluminum diff inserts would be even worse. I didn't notice any other vibrations though.

In addition, there is also a slight clunking noise on certain occasions on downshifts and at idle throttle with the drivetrain loaded and unloading. Not every time does this happen though. I assume it is coming from the differential. I saw a couple other posts of people on here that had the same thing happen. I'm attributing it as a characteristic of the more solid differential connection to the rear of the car.

And the NVH from the LCA bearing I think is just feeling more imperfections in the road and vehicle reaction time being quicker. But in some ways it's actually a positive and more desirable NVH. But even if that's a negative to some, the car is better in every other way and is working more freely.

The Steeda diff bushings I think are adding the more NVH into this equation in the form of noise. The gear whine is kinda cool in a way especially with the exhaust. Just sounds beastly. But the more direct shifts, traction and jump off the line -has made a very nice difference. I could not get wheel hop in 2nd or 3rd gear. With my auto paddle shifters and Lund tune I can shift very quickly and firmly so it's important to me that I have some control over the car during those hard shifts.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OK now to the real review. I got the push the car a little bit on some back roads to see more what it could do.

Now to me this feels like a sports car or semi race car like. The car is super tight and has a lot of road feel. Suspension feels pliable and articulate at speed. Instant communication with the ground now and fast vehicle reaction time.

Here is full mod list now:

Steeda bumpsteer kit, Steeda LCA bearing*, Steeda black diff inserts*, BMR cradle lockout, BMR vertical links (Delrin/spherical), BMR sway bars on full soft front and rear, BMR adj toe rods, BMR camber bolts and Ford Racing track springs and dampers. Gibson cat back and Lund FF tune running 93.

These last two mods has made it feel like a complete package of handling. Power delivery is more immediate and the car feels completely planted and nearly unflappable in throttle and shifts in the corners. On the bumpier sections of road, the car ate them up at higher speeds and it was glued to the road. The understeer is gone and the car feels very balanced and predictable. Bumps are less upsetting the chassis overall, which has led to more stability. I feel every imperfection in the road which when going slow is not as comfortable. But at higher speeds and corners it's amazing and fun as heck to drive.

It's a busier ride and a far more engaging driving experience for many reasons. More road feel, more direct shifts and power delivery, all of it combined. After a little while I struck a connection with it and learned what the car wanted me to do. The communication with the road and all of that. Just learning the setup and the car. I did not notice any wheel hop, only wheel spins from my crap tires.

Now onto the downsides really- the NVH has in fact increased. I did not realize it first, but now I do. There is noticeable gear whine at certain RPMs, around 2500-3000 rpm I noticed it most. Winding through the RPMs, with the Gibson Xpipe it feels like the car is roaring to life. With the radio on it is fine, but if I were to have the radio off all the time the gear whine would bug me a little bit. But honestly I don't think it will be a deal breaker for me. I imagine aluminum diff inserts would be even worse. I didn't notice any other vibrations though.

In addition, there is also a slight clunking noise on certain occasions on downshifts and at idle throttle with the drivetrain loaded and unloading. Not every time does this happen though. I assume it is coming from the differential. I saw a couple other posts of people on here that had the same thing happen. I'm attributing it as a characteristic of the more solid differential connection to the rear of the car.

And the NVH from the LCA bearing I think is just feeling more imperfections in the road and vehicle reaction time being quicker. But in some ways it's actually a positive and more desirable NVH. But even if that's a negative to some, the car is better in every other way and is working more freely.

The Steeda diff bushings I think are adding the more NVH into this equation in the form of noise. The gear whine is kinda cool in a way especially with the exhaust. Just sounds beastly. But the more direct shifts, traction and jump off the line -has made a very nice difference. I could not get wheel hop in 2nd or 3rd gear. With my auto paddle shifters and Lund tune I can shift very quickly and firmly so it's important to me that I have some control over the car during those hard shifts.
You'd probably see almost zero performance degradation but an improvement in NVH with the red inserts. Nice write-up!
Sponsored