Sponsored

Steeda or Ford Performance track handling kit

bandit67

Mustang Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2007 SPJ 302, 2019 Ranger
I would highly recommend against just replacing the springs alone without upgrading the dampers. IMO the weakest part of any factory Mustang suspension is always the dampers.
I agree. Lowering springs on the stock shocks will cause the shocks to fail prematurely according to Ford Performance when I was researching suspension upgrades way back when - too much compression of the stock shocks I guess.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
I will get all the parts for the Steeda shocks to be able to preassemble them. Maybe I will install them by myself in a DIY car shop. CJPP and American muscle provide pretty good install videos and with the right tools I should be able to do it. Actually I don't want to spend $1500 for the installation.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I will get all the parts for the Steeda shocks to be able to preassemble them. Maybe I will install them by myself in a DIY car shop. CJPP and American muscle provide pretty good install videos and with the right tools I should be able to do it. Actually I don't want to spend $1500 for the installation.

I use the CJPP videos all the time, very useful.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I agree. Lowering springs on the stock shocks will cause the shocks to fail prematurely according to Ford Performance when I was researching suspension upgrades way back when - too much compression of the stock shocks I guess.

I don't think they will necessarily fail but rather just not be able to keep up with the stiffer spring rates to be able to control excessive body motions.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hi guys,

I will soon get my 2017 Mustang GT and my plans are to exchange the OE shocks, struts and springs.

I don't want to go on the track, just street use.
Why? You don't have the car yet, so probably not trying to fix some issue that bugs you.

If you want sportier ride & handling get a PP.

If you just want to lower the car for looks, just get springs. BMR has a set that are very close to the stock PP spring rate, so they don't need stiffer shocks.

I went with the FR Track kit + Steeda rear spacers & camber plates. But my car sees track use.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
Why? You don't have the car yet, so probably not trying to fix some issue that bugs you.

If you want sportier ride & handling get a PP.

If you just want to lower the car for looks, just get springs. BMR has a set that are very close to the stock PP spring rate, so they don't need stiffer shocks.

I went with the FR Track kit + Steeda rear spacers & camber plates. But my car sees track use.
Why shouldn't I get a handling kit? Lowering the car with the stock shocks isn't the right way to go and I want to address the wheel hop as well. I just don't want to make half measures this time. I want a nice handling street car and I think I will get that with the Steeda parts. Of course it will cost some money, but I'm planning to keep the car for the next 10 years.

I think the Steeda parts have a better quality than the PP stuff from the premium model.
That's one of the reasons why I'm getting a Mustang GT non Premium. I save the money and put it into some aftermarket parts.
I mean the PP is $2,995 and I don't like the wheels and tires, nor is the car low enough for me to get rid of the wheel gap.
I rather invest the $3,000 into aftermarket wheels and suspension parts.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Why shouldn't I get a handling kit? Lowering the car with the stock shocks isn't the right way to go and I want to address the wheel hop as well. I just don't want to make half measures this time. I want a nice handling street car and I think I will get that with the Steeda parts. Of course it will cost some money, but I'm planning to keep the car for the next 10 years.

I think the Steeda parts have a better quality than the PP stuff from the premium model.
That's one of the reasons why I'm getting a Mustang GT non Premium. I save the money and put it into some aftermarket parts.
I mean the PP is $2,995 and I don't like the wheels and tires, nor is the car low enough for me to get rid of the wheel gap.
I agree. There have been plenty of people that got the PP (myself included) that turned to aftermarket suspension parts to improve the handling as well as ride, especially fixing the PP bounce. Steeda has a great solution. You've probably seen enough here to be forewarned of the problem. I think it's smart to plan ahead. Of course I would wait until I got the car and drove it for a bit first so I knew what I was fixing.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

What is your goal? Throw random parts on the car so you can brag it is modified?

You say no track use, so what are you looking for in the handling kit? Then we/you can evaluate if the parts are a good choice to get you there. They have different pluses and minuses, that are highly dependent on the application.

ghostnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
It might be a wash, honestly. After my Pzeros were worn, I sold my wheels for pretty much the price of the replacements (m350's, which are the gt350 replicas and weigh about 21 lbs per).

The PP also brings a bigger radiator and torsen diff with 3.73's. So it's not just suspension bits. And the price of adding the diff and radiator alone justifies the initial outlay - that is, if you're looking to add those parts later on.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thought I'd weigh in here. Just took off the Ford Racing front sway bar. Way way too stiff in my opinion (>800lb/ft at "softest" setting). The car had virtually no body roll but on all but perfect roads it hurt your kidneys. Went with the Steeda front sway and couldn't be happier. Much more compliance.

Running Steeda Sport Linears, Steeda fixed valve ProAction shocks/struts, Steeda front sway bar, MM camber plate front, Boomba vertical links, Ford Racing toe bearing and BMR delrin cradle bushings. My version of the Ford track pack in other words. Really impressed with the handling and balance of sporty / comfort.

In fairness, not ready to abandon the FR rear bar ... the Steeda is stiffer and I'm happy with the current f/r balance - can steer with the throttle just fine. Still like a little understeer at the limits.

Overall, I think this package offers more balanced handling than the FR solution (based on the sway bar and feedback on FR shocks/struts vs what I've experience with the Steeda ProActions). Planted, taught ride but not harsh. Everything I was looking for in a sports car.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I'm in the same boat. Really want the FR track pack suspension kit. Don't plan on tracking my car but I love a nice stiff sporty suspension setup. Let us know what you decide and your review!

Shop Install fee is kind of steep. I did my SI full suspension myself it wasn't that bad. Just took a few days.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I fitted the FR sway bars last night (have the shocks and springs too but was tight on time). I'm amazed at the difference to the ride, I've never felt such a change in ride comfort just with sway bars before. I'm not bothered by a slightly harsher ride so all good.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Thought I'd weigh in here. Just took off the Ford Racing front sway bar. Way way too stiff in my opinion (>800lb/ft at "softest" setting). The car had virtually no body roll but on all but perfect roads it hurt your kidneys. Went with the Steeda front sway and couldn't be happier. Much more compliance.

Running Steeda Sport Linears, Steeda fixed valve ProAction shocks/struts, Steeda front sway bar, MM camber plate front, Boomba vertical links, Ford Racing toe bearing and BMR delrin cradle bushings. My version of the Ford track pack in other words. Really impressed with the handling and balance of sporty / comfort.

In fairness, not ready to abandon the FR rear bar ... the Steeda is stiffer and I'm happy with the current f/r balance - can steer with the throttle just fine. Still like a little understeer at the limits.

Overall, I think this package offers more balanced handling than the FR solution (based on the sway bar and feedback on FR shocks/struts vs what I've experience with the Steeda ProActions). Planted, taught ride but not harsh. Everything I was looking for in a sports car.

Are you running the steeda front sway bar on soft? Because that is the only difference I recall. Both are 37mm, but the Steeda is 3 position adjustable vs 2 for the FR.

Running the FR suspension on stiff front, and med rear with no complaints from my kidneys.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Are you running the steeda front sway bar on soft? Because that is the only difference I recall. Both are 37mm, but the Steeda is 3 position adjustable vs 2 for the FR.

Running the FR suspension on stiff front, and med rear with no complaints from my kidneys.
From what I understand the Steeda is 35mm and FR is 36.5mm. The front is 4 position adjustable. Side by side the FR is noticeably thicker. More importantly, the FR rate on "soft" is over 800 lb/in and Steeda is a little over 500 lb/in full soft according to the specs on a related thread. I found the Ford sway very effective in controlling body roll, very planted. Great track solution - no question. Uncomfortable daily driving with the rest of my components though. I like that I can adjust the Steeda much more from relatively comfortable to close to the FR rate if I track. Also like the welded on collars for alignment. Glad the FR stuff is working to your liking.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
How is the on track handling with the FR bars on stiff front and soft rear? Mine is currently set up like this as I couldn't locate the stiff setting with the endlink in the rear (I suspect you need to un-do the mounting brackets to wiggle the bar around).
Sponsored