Sponsored

Show us your rock chips!

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
I have a couple, one on the hood, one passenger side in front of rear wheel, little touch up and they will be fine. But I clear wrapped the front fascia. Bought mine in March, 10K miles on it.

However, pretty much all the cars I have now that are newer have sucky paint, Ford, Toyota, Mazda ...Lexus...my buddy’s Mercedes is a disaster.
Sponsored

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
My take its the paint thickness. Had an 89 Taurus SHO in Europe routinely driving at 120 on the autobahns. Came back with virtually no chips on the car. Had two American cars used at work both capable of 160+MPH. (Yup-Not an error) and no chips on these either.

I have 2800 on my GT and fortunately no dings yet...…………………………………...

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I’m in the rock chip club. Can’t stand it. I’ve had the car four months and I think the Chicagoland roads are just beating it up.

I had the car at a Ford body shop to fix a small bumper alignment issue. I asked the body shop manager about the paint. He said it’s no thicker than two sheets of paper.

Maxlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2009 F150 Lariat
I have a two on the hood, the entire vehicle is wrapped in Expel. So far the Expel is doing its job.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Who here has used Dr. Colorchip or the Motorcraft Touch Up Pen? Dr. Colorchip seems to be more popular here, why is that? The Motorcraft pen is half the price, does it not work as well?
Motorcraft Touch Up Pen for me. Works great.

Sponsored

JimsFury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT (Grabber Lime), 1996 Ford Ranger
This gives me nightmares

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I'd show you but I don't have any any more, not that I had many to begin with. I was extremely careful and its not my DD. Even then it had more than it should for 11000 km and hardly any highway driving.... Had the paint corrected and when he did that touched up any chips that the car did have.

Then had the entire front end of the car PPF'd. Full hood + vents, full fenders, full bumpers, all forward facing lights.

Also had the mirrors done, A-pillars, 12" leading roof edge, complete rocker panels, door bottoms, impact area in front and rear of the rear tires, gas cap and the lower trunk protect strip.

Had my lexan smoked airbox lid cover PPF'd as well as the prop rod contact spot. Then everything was covered with C-quartz Finest Reserve.

Stek Dyno is the film that was used, has a 10 year warranty. The paint on these cars is beyond brittle. Without some kind of PPF, protection especially in front of the rear wheels you'll have more chips than paint before long. It's not a matter of IF it's When. Instead of the paint "indenting" as paint did in years gone by the area of the chip literally explodes out down to primer or bare metal.

Last edited:

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
This is why my car went home and stayed there until I took it to the clear-bra (Xpel) installer. Full hood, front end, full front quarter panels, mirrors, rockers, lower door up to crease, the area in front of the rear wheels to the upper crease and the rear edge of the doors, behind the rear wheels on the rear fascia, fuel door, "spill patch" under the fuel door, A-pillars, roof cap, and a patch under the GT logo so that's what is touched when closing the truck. I knew the PSC2s were going to create havoc.

I did the same with the RS, but the Nitrous Blue is an anomaly - it is excellent high quality thick paint

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
This is why my car went home and stayed there until I took it to the clear-bra (Xpel) installer. Full hood, front end, full front quarter panels, mirrors, rockers, lower door up to crease, the area in front of the rear wheels to the upper crease and the rear edge of the doors, behind the rear wheels on the rear fascia, fuel door, "spill patch" under the fuel door, A-pillars, roof cap, and a patch under the GT logo so that's what is touched when closing the truck. I knew the PSC2s were going to create havoc.

I did the same with the RS, but the Nitrous Blue is an anomaly - it is excellent high quality thick paint
You pretty much did everything I did. All those areas are needed if you want your car to stay looking good. I didn't do the area under GT. I just don't touch that goddamn black panel period. Have a trunk pull strap that works great for touch less trunk closure.

What did your install cost you If you don't mind me asking?

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
This is a distressing thread. I also am sorry I can't share any of mine because their isn't any *knocks on wood* I am just under 5k miles in a 16 so I don't think I drive it enough. But I do feel for all you guys my 2006 Pontiac G6 looks like a Jackson Pollock painting on the front end with years of rock chip damage and I am not even at 70k miles on that thing.

Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who here has used Dr. Colorchip or the Motorcraft Touch Up Pen? Dr. Colorchip seems to be more popular here, why is that? The Motorcraft pen is half the price, does it not work as well?
Every time I used a pen on my G6 it still looked like crap.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
This is a distressing thread. I also am sorry I can't share any of mine because their isn't any *knocks on wood* I am just under 5k miles in a 16 so I don't think I drive it enough. But I do feel for all you guys my 2006 Pontiac G6 looks like a Jackson Pollock painting on the front end with years of rock chip damage and I am not even at 70k miles on that thing.
Get down low and close and look at the spots in front of your rear tires and behind your front tires. Proceed to puke lol

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Get down low and close and look at the spots in front of your rear tires and behind your front tires. Proceed to puke lol
Yea and check the edges of your fenders at the wheel wells too... I’ve NEVER had any car chip along the edges of the wheel wells...

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
You pretty much did everything I did. All those areas are needed if you want your car to stay looking good. I didn't do the area under GT. I just don't touch that goddamn black panel period. Have a trunk pull strap that works great for touch less trunk closure.

What did your install cost you If you don't mind me asking?
Just shy of $2500

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea and check the edges of your fenders at the wheel wells too... I’ve NEVER had any car chip along the edges of the wheel wells...
I will check tomorrow even though I have checked before I didn't study though but I check every time I wash my car. I've been busy putting in a Sync 3 in my Mustang the past couple of days. But I might have a very very light one on my hood if I took a picture of it you probably wouldn't even see it you have to study the hood to see it. But if I find one around my fenders I will take a picture. I do have big 305's in the back and I always get nervous with rock chips every time I drive, I know it is bound to happen just a matter of when.
Sponsored