Shifter support bracket recommendations

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
@Zrussian13, I have the Boomba race spec and I love it. My NVH was nowhere near what I thought it would be given every bushing I havve on the car is the black hard race spec.

When the new driveshaft goes in, I’ll have to reassess, but I hope it remains the same.
Nice! I didn't realize you got the mount before you climbed down the transmission rebuild rabbit hole! 🤣
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Are you referring to the shifter bracket or the trans insert? Because if your referring to the trans insert your more than welcome to have mine and try it. I'm keeping the shifter bracket though!
The shifter bracket :like:

Thats a nicer offer on the trans insert :sunglasses: But being on the other side of the pond probably kills it … :frown:

WD :like:

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
The shifter bracket :like:

Thats a nicer offer on the trans insert :sunglasses: But being on the other side of the pond probably kills it … :frown:

WD :like:
Oops! I completely forgot that when I made the offer.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Maybe I have been lucky so far or else I just don’t drive it hard enough, but I have never had an issue when shifting gears. Never missed a change nor been locked out. In fact my shifter is basically perfect being quite short and very tight. The only reason I am installing the short shift is because I have the bug to do things to the car and the itch must be scratched. Because it is relatively easy and cheap to buy and install, if I don't like it I will take it out and revert back to stock.

Last edited:

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Maybe I have been lucky so far or else I just don’t drive it hard enough, but I have never had an issue when shifting gears. Never missed a change nor been locked out. In fact my shifter is basically perfect being quite short and very tight. The only reason I am installing the short shift is because I have the bug to do things to the car and the itch must be scratched. Because it is relatively easy and cheap to buy and install, if I don't like it I will take it out and revert back to stock.
If you race your car or use it for HPDE you WILL run into shift lockout with a stock set up. Personally I believe it's caused by heat in the brake fluid (which is also your clutch fluid) causing the plastic clutch supply line to flex/expand decreasing rate and amount of pressure getting to the slave cylinder, but that's just my opinion. I fixed this by replacing the stock line with braided steel and swapping out the fluid to motul 600

Sponsored

OP
OP
PC_GUARD

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
If you race your car or use it for HPDE you WILL run into shift lockout with a stock set up. Personally I believe it's caused by heat in the brake fluid (which is also your clutch fluid) causing the plastic clutch supply line to flex/expand decreasing rate and amount of pressure getting to the slave cylinder, but that's just my opinion. I fixed this by replacing the stock line with braided steel and swapping out the fluid to motul 600
On the VERY rare occurrence I miss, it's usually when the car is in some sort of "twist" straight line, never missed. So if the rear is hanging out it's either flex or operator error, I figure let's blame the car first lol 😆

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
22' Mustang EB HPP+HP ; 96
Without disputing your experience, it is not what the majority consensus is. As mentioned above, I will wait and see how I go. No big deal to do it later if I want. Wondering if Tim@Steeda has an opinion?
I recently just switched my trans fluid to BG Synchro II and swapped the shifter bracket+bushing with the Steeda one that was mentioned. I still have the stock shifter.

I can saw that the combination of those (2) things have dramatically improved the shifting. No more cold temp clunkiness and I feel much more comfortable shifting faster. As for NVH, I can honestly say that it is minimal. If I had received the car from the factory with this bracket installed, I would not have thought of it at all. The main increase is a slight bump in vibration if you hold the shifter at idle. As well as more vibration past 4k rpm. Everything else sounds/feels the same as stock, but with much better performance.

I understand your hesitance to add NVH to the cabin because I feel the same way about it. I would say that it was 100% worth it and the NVH is really not noticeable in day-to-day driving.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I recently just switched my trans fluid to BG Synchro II and swapped the shifter bracket+bushing with the Steeda one that was mentioned. I still have the stock shifter.

I can saw that the combination of those (2) things have dramatically improved the shifting. No more cold temp clunkiness and I feel much more comfortable shifting faster. As for NVH, I can honestly say that it is minimal. If I had received the car from the factory with this bracket installed, I would not have thought of it at all. The main increase is a slight bump in vibration if you hold the shifter at idle. As well as more vibration past 4k rpm. Everything else sounds/feels the same as stock, but with much better performance.

I understand your hesitance to add NVH to the cabin because I feel the same way about it. I would say that it was 100% worth it and the NVH is really not noticeable in day-to-day driving.
Thanks. Very helpful insight. I forgot to mention that I have BG fluid also but now may rethink my position.

cheers

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’m having the Triax Street installed on my Bullitt next week but not the support bracket because I don’t want any increase in NVH.
Had the short shifter fitted today. Boy it is REALLY short AND tight, the proverbial “rifle bolt”. I wasn’t really prepared for how little it would move or how stiff it feels needing much more effort to change gears but as I have only had it for a couple of hours, no doubt I will get used to it and it will loosen up some with use. Such a big difference I don’t know yet if I like it or not so will give you an update after a lot more time with it.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
At the moment, I am experimenting with the new simplified black bracket from Blowfish (mustang-madness on eBay).

Currently, I have the problem that I can hear violent vibrations from the transmission tunnel when thrusting (at least) in 2nd and 3rd gear from ~5,000 to ~2,500 rpm.
If I'm unlucky, my MT82 is one of the approximately 10% (statement Blowfish) that have to deal with such NVH that you only can't hear with the factory mounting.

I am in the process of getting to the bottom of this.
My impression is that the bracket itself vibrates.

As a first step I will remove the NVH damper (short screws from pre 2018 already sourced).
Either that is part of the problem, or the 3 mm clearance was not enough.
If that doesn't change anything, I will weld in the stiffeners as it was on the old blue bracket for pre 2018 (still NVH damper removed).

After that, the only thing left to do is to change the top mount to something damped (was different on the blue bracket) or try the part from FTBR.

Last option is a gearbox mounted shifter with shorter throw (I do not really want that).

One thing is certain, I want the precision you get when the shifter is no longer attached to the transmission tunnel.
It's a night and day difference with the Blowfish bracket!

Blowfish Racing Kulissenhalter (3).jpg

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Had the short shifter fitted today. Boy it is REALLY short AND tight, the proverbial “rifle bolt”. I wasn’t really prepared for how little it would move or how stiff it feels needing much more effort to change gears but as I have only had it for a couple of hours, no doubt I will get used to it and it will loosen up some with use. Such a big difference I don’t know yet if I like it or not so will give you an update after a lot more time with it.
Did you install the shift lever only or the complete race shifter?

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Did you install the shift lever only or the complete race shifter?
Just the Triax Street shifter. Not the race version. I will wait until I am used to it and then decide if I install the support bracket.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Ok, I read 4 pages and not seeing any mention of the Tremac 3160 transmission. Are any of the discussed parts applicable to the “other 6 sp”?

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Ok, I read 4 pages and not seeing any mention of the Tremac 3160 transmission. Are any of the discussed parts applicable to the “other 6 sp”?
The new black Blowfish bracket works with the Tremec of GT350 & Mach1.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225073163346
This new version is one part number with the necessary components to accommodate every factory manual transmission (excluding GT500) from 2011 to current Mustangs. This system works with 2.3 Ecoboost, 3.7 V6, and Coyote MT82's. It also works with the GT350 Tremec 3160. It clears the factory damper hanging off the back of the trans mount (if you choose to retain it). It has all the clamps included for the 3 available shifter styles found in these model years. That means, if you have a 2011 today and want to trade up for a GT350, you have the parts to swap it over!

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1