SCCA CAM-C Thread

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You want the extra displacement for torque and because you're trying to keep your revs lower for fuel consumption. You only need to make 'X' power and anything more will just be legislated away. So you give it as broad of a torque curve as you can and make it use as little fuel as possible. Horses for courses.

Flat plane V-8's have a nasty harmonic just below 10k rpm (around 9800 if memory serves). To keep them happy, you either have to spend you time below or above. You're unlikely to make it live above, but be aware of what's close. 9000 on a Voodoo seems to be asking for a problem. FFS, you're out-revving an S2000, lol! Is it really all that much slower to lift and keep it just shy of the limiter? I bet not. It's your toy, though, play with it as you see fit.
That makes sense, useful insight for sure.

Yep, my thoughts exactly on the revs. My HUD rev gauge starts flashing at 7900, about as far as I like to take it.
Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
That makes sense, useful insight for sure.

Yep, my thoughts exactly on the revs. My HUD rev gauge starts flashing at 7900, about as far as I like to take it.
I mean, you know that's adjustable right? LOL.

Plenty of Coyotes and GT350's living by running up to 9,000 occasionally. I wouldn't make it a daily occurrence or do it on every gear change, but it's more than capable of it if needed.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
God, that's impressive.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Anything over 7500 rpm is impressive to me...I don't even think my cyclone can reach 7510, let alone 8k. Maybe I am just doing it wrong (or I am misremembering my shifting/tune), but there is so little documentation on my engine (in terms of true performance ideas).

Last edited:

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I mean, you know that's adjustable right? LOL.

Plenty of Coyotes and GT350's living by running up to 9,000 occasionally. I wouldn't make it a daily occurrence or do it on every gear change, but it's more than capable of it if needed.
Yep, it's my visual to shift is all. It's still revs to 8250 if I ask it to.

9k though, that's so much to ask of a sprayed on iron cylinder liner!

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Unpopular opinion: The D4 MT-82 w/ 3.73 gears has pretty close to perfect gearing for autocross. 7300 RPM seems to go to the mid 60s on 18x11 wheels.

Granted I’m a “keep it simple” guy, but I feel almost zero urge to increase motor output, but I would like some better cooling.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Unpopular opinion: The D4 MT-82 w/ 3.73 gears has pretty close to perfect gearing for autocross. 7300 RPM seems to go to the mid 60s on 18x11 wheels.

Granted I’m a “keep it simple” guy, but I feel almost zero urge to increase motor output, but I would like some better cooling.
Its pretty good. I get to 64, with 18” yokes in my ‘16 MT82 but that takes a 7800 redline. 64 is fast enough… until it isn’t

webspoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Code Orange
These motors aren't as "made of glass" as the internet would lead you to believe. The only people I know who've had motor replacements were only burning a quart per oil change in their 2016's and 2017's and pushed their dealership extra hard early on to get a Gen 2 to try and increase the resale value of their car more than anything else.
I wish they were more robust. In my region I had one of 4 gt350s that were running out local TTs. All driven hard - I know I would hang at the rev limit in 3rd on our tracks to save an upshift. Usually upshifted around 8100-8200.
Mine was traded after 2 seasons of TT, original engine (2018).
2 of the remainder (a 2018 and a 2020) are on their 3rd engines now, the other is on it's 2nd. Great car, but that is a pretty strong correlation. This is after 4-5yrs of running.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I wish they were more robust. In my region I had one of 4 gt350s that were running out local TTs. All driven hard - I know I would hang at the rev limit in 3rd on our tracks to save an upshift. Usually upshifted around 8100-8200.
Mine was traded after 2 seasons of TT, original engine (2018).
2 of the remainder (a 2018 and a 2020) are on their 3rd engines now, the other is on it's 2nd. Great car, but that is a pretty strong correlation. This is after 4-5yrs of running.
2nd and 3rd engines aint great.

But YOLO and I don't do a lot of track miles.... mostly just an autocrosser, so I did the deed and paid for the used GT350 parts.

I'll be asking around what (if anything) should be checked or addressed while the motor and trans are out of the chassis (going to put the predator oil pan/pump on there at a minimum).

Here's hoping this works out. Wish me luck!

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

But YOLO and I don't do a lot of track miles.... mostly just an autocrosser, so I did the deed and paid for the used GT350 parts.

I'll be asking around what (if anything) should be checked or addressed while the motor and trans are out of the chassis (going to put the predator oil pan/pump on there at a minimum).

I would be careful with that oil pickup. I think there's an issue with them snapping on thr Voodoos. I would keep the Voodoo pan and pickup. I think Honeybadger had some issues with that.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

Wishing you all the luck! Please make a thread with lots of pictures!!!

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Even though I'm a proponent of sticking with the CPC, you're going to love that engine/transmission.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Does anyone run an Accusump or similar system to make sure oil pressure stays happy?
Sponsored