SCCA CAM-C Thread

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Miatas drive so nice that it's hard to throw stones at anyone who wants to spend more time in one. Give 'Em hell.
Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Miatas drive so nice that it's hard to throw stones at anyone who wants to spend more time in one. Give 'Em hell.
Well, the transition isn't going to go as smoothly as I had hoped since no one has sniffed the car yet. I have some offers from dealers, one significantly higher than others so that is an option. If that works out, I'll not be attending Nationals. Hope to have a decision by tomorrow. Then swap dampers and wheels and off she goes.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Well, the transition isn't going to go as smoothly as I had hoped since no one has sniffed the car yet. I have some offers from dealers, one significantly higher than others so that is an option. If that works out, I'll not be attending Nationals. Hope to have a decision by tomorrow. Then swap dampers and wheels and off she goes.
Obviously I have no idea where you have taken it, but Toyota of Katy gave me a hell of a price ($2k better than everywhere else) on my Hellcat. Granted it was a year ago.

You have a few more mods than my HC did (Okay a ton more), but when they gave me my price, they made sure there was no obvious dents, made me pinky promise there was no scratches/paint damage (I had it wrapped), and good to go.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Forgive me, for I have sinned.

I genuinely feel the 14" front discs/4-piston calipers are plenty for autocross. I don't want the added weight. I've certainly run faster cars with less brake. The problem is you can only get good discs/pads with the 15"/6-piston setup, so you get painted into a corner.

I picked up a pair of Baer 13" rear discs new off Craigslist. They're basically ballast, so I'm not too worked up overall quality, but I want something better than that on the front of my car. They look straight off Alibaba, so then I started looking at Alibaba for brakes. Then it occurs to me that I'm looking on Alibaba for brakes. WTF, am I doing?

Anyway, I bought an ebay set of Shelby takeoff 15" & 6 piston calipers. I can get the better discs later, but at least the cooling is on the correct side of these, and, when the time comes, I'll be able to find good pads & 2 piece discs.

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning

I genuinely feel the 14" front discs/4-piston calipers are plenty for autocross. I don't want the added weight. I've certainly run faster cars with less brake. The problem is you can only get good discs/pads with the 15"/6-piston setup, so you get painted into a corner.

I picked up a pair of Baer 13" rear discs new off Craigslist. They're basically ballast, so I'm not too worked up overall quality, but I want something better than that on the front of my car. They look straight off Alibaba, so then I started looking at Alibaba for brakes. Then it occurs to me that I'm looking on Alibaba for brakes. WTF, am I doing?

Anyway, I bought an ebay set of Shelby takeoff 15" & 6 piston calipers. I can get the better discs later, but at least the cooling is on the correct side of these, and, when the time comes, I'll be able to find good pads & 2 piece discs.
How much brake do we really need? I’ve definitely been toying with the idea of the wilwood drag brake setup that they say is also ok for “street use”.

Taking 50lbs off the front of the car is huge, some rotating weight? It’s unsuspended weight, so not much benefit there.

Obviously, you’re not going to take it to a track day, but I’ve seen them as cheap as $1300 on some sites, if you can actually get them right now.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to take Wilwood at their word. If they think it's just for drag use, I bet they're right.

I don't think I "need" six pistons or 15" discs, but I bet I'll like the braking when I put them on.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP

Before long you’ll be more comfortable with sin…

i went ahead and got my setup that I’ll run stock for a while and just eat the extra few pounds. One of these days I’ll get lighter rotors and all will be good.

D8B70312-2456-45EF-86A2-EA882B070EF0.jpeg

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I'm going to take Wilwood at their word. If they think it's just for drag use, I bet they're right.

I don't think I "need" six pistons or 15" discs, but I bet I'll like the braking when I put them on.
I’m interested to hear your opinion on how they feel / perform. Frankly, the 14” system is great but felt a bit like a light switch initially. The 15” system with G-LOC GS-1 pads are much smoother to engage initially and just fantastic elsewhere.

I have yet to really push their capabilities. Yes, I think the 14’s would be adequate for 90% of autoX needs, but these will handle 100% with the option of going on a road course someday.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Right now I have the 14" discs with EBC Blue pads in the front. I'm also running the J&M stainless lines. The car has a lot of stopping power, but the disc venting is backwards, so these brakes were autocross duty only.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but the disc venting is backwards, so these brakes were autocross duty only.
for the same cost as 2-piece 15" rotors you can buy 2-piece 14". :)
Or buy the Ford rotors from a 2022 (or June+ 2021?) car where it seems they FINALLY flipped the venting to the inside.

@TicTocTach those are 20" wheels?

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Right now I have the 14" discs with EBC Blue pads in the front. I'm also running the J&M stainless lines. The car has a lot of stopping power, but the disc venting is backwards, so these brakes were autocross duty only.
they did fix the venting direction on recent MY cars, but IDK if the rotors are a direct swap. They may be.

iDK about y’all but the later and harder I can brake, the easier I can get down to cornering speed and it feels faster. I keep glazing PP1 brakes with GLOC GS1s with just daily and autox use, but OTOH R12/R10 track pads feel great to me on a concrete site. Yeah the brakes are probably overkill. A smaller package with aggressive pads would probably be fine.

nice driving last weekend @murphyslaww. I’m going to blame the tires, cause Brandon and I were slipping and sliding through the entire course.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Or buy the Ford rotors from a 2022 (or June+ 2021?) car where it seems they FINALLY flipped the venting to the inside.

Wheels are 19x11+50 “GT7” from SVE / LMR. They haven’t been in the catalog for a couple years now but they say will be coming back.

Great to hear that the base GT rotors have been fixed. I think I saw that the 6p Brembo brakes are now available on EBHP cars as well. About damn time.

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning
they did fix the venting direction on recent MY cars, but IDK if the rotors are a direct swap. They may be.

iDK about y’all but the later and harder I can brake, the easier I can get down to cornering speed and it feels faster. I keep glazing PP1 brakes with GLOC GS1s with just daily and autox use, but OTOH R12/R10 track pads feel great to me on a concrete site. Yeah the brakes are probably overkill. A smaller package with aggressive pads would probably be fine.

nice driving last weekend @murphyslaww. I’m going to blame the tires, cause Brandon and I were slipping and sliding through the entire course.
Thanks... I'm starting to trust the 315's enough to get the back end rotated when I need it to be. It felt great this weekend with like 55 runs on the RT660's. Ryan still took me down by almost a second. I finally, in the last run, got wide enough to take the finish like we talked about, and took, 3-4 tenths off the last sector. I'm bringing a set of 18x10.5's with some new 295/40 RT660's on them, to nats, that I picked up relatively cheap, so it will be a dilemma as to which set to run. I'll scrub in the 295's in the test and tune, maybe. Lot's of room to make a bad choice on tires. A set cycled out, or a set with too much sidewall that are not as wide.

I remember a lot of hard braking, and transition to power when I had the WRX prepped for STX pretty well, but intuitively, it feels slower to me to do that, than mostly trail braking in the GT, and just trying to be uber smooth.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)

I checked at the dealer and the new 14" discs with the correct venting are $250 apiece or some such nonsense. Waiting for the aftermarket to catch up could be another year or so. I've only found 14" discs from Baer and Steeda. Both look to be bottom-of-the-barrel quality.

I considered having Porterfield make hats and use good discs, but that has its problems, too. Spares would be an issue and the 14" disc is relatively thin, so not a common size. In the end, the 15's add weight, which I was trying to avoid, but it's a much easier option all the way around.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sticking weight exactly where I don't want it really rubs me the wrong way, though. If there was any way to get this little piggy to minimum, it'd be a rocketship.

I should have never raced bicycles. It's an infection.
Sponsored