SCCA CAM-C Thread

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Picked up some dampers thanks to Brian. I'll have them installed for next event.
IMG_20210710_094226_932.jpg
Sponsored

danmit88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/Performance Package
Decided to make the move to CAM from F-Street. Nothing too drastice since I still plan to daily drive the car. I just picked up the Pedders Extreme Coilovers and will be looking to get a new set of wheels in the offseason. This is my first time with coilovers and will be using much of next season as a test session.

Does anybody already have these on their CAM cars? If so, any set up suggestions?

I'm also trying to figure out the wheel/tire configuration. I'm leaning towards Apex EC-7s in 19x11 and going with RT660s in 315/30/19 square. I don't know how fitment is going to be, but going based off of the Apex website, I'll have to get 25mm spacers in the front. If anybody has done this setup, is there anything I should be on the lookout for? I don't plan to lower the car much so I figured I could avoid fender rubs even with 315s.

Thanks in advance for any help.

NewSetup.jpg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
just picked up the Pedders Extreme Coilovers
not exactly known for being good. Tolerable? Need to confirm you can actually get at the camber nuts. AFAIK you had to take the entire shock out to set camber.

danmit88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not exactly known for being good. Tolerable? Need to confirm you can actually get at the camber nuts. AFAIK you had to take the entire shock out to set camber.
I ordered the camber plates to fix that issue. I saw people mentioned that. All other reviews seemed pretty good though.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Not entirely true. I ran them on my car for 3 years. They were good enough to win the SW divisional a while ago. I also placed well locally (Houston Region which is pretty competitive).

I probably have the most extensive testing with these coilovers so I can give you some information for sure. Drop me a PM.

You can open up your shock tower holes to get to the camber adjustment bolts.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Decided to make the move to CAM from F-Street. Nothing too drastice since I still plan to daily drive the car. I just picked up the Pedders Extreme Coilovers and will be looking to get a new set of wheels in the offseason. This is my first time with coilovers and will be using much of next season as a test session.

Does anybody already have these on their CAM cars? If so, any set up suggestions?

I'm also trying to figure out the wheel/tire configuration. I'm leaning towards Apex EC-7s in 19x11 and going with RT660s in 315/30/19 square. I don't know how fitment is going to be, but going based off of the Apex website, I'll have to get 25mm spacers in the front. If anybody has done this setup, is there anything I should be on the lookout for? I don't plan to lower the car much so I figured I could avoid fender rubs even with 315s.

NewSetup.jpg
i’ll save you some pain, the 315 RT660s run very wide and probably wont fit with only 25mm spacers. Try the 295/35 RT660s, they run wide and are about equal to most 305s.

danmit88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i’ll save you some pain, the 315 RT660s run very wide and probably wont fit with only 25mm spacers. Try the 295/35 RT660s, they run wide and are about equal to most 305s.
That’s good to know. If they are that wide, I may go with 295s. It’ll save me a little on my tire budget. Would say I would still need the 25mm spacer?

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Yes you will need the spacer..perhaps 30mm as per my PM.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That’s good to know. If they are that wide, I may go with 295s. It’ll save me a little on my tire budget. Would say I would still need the 25mm spacer?
25mm with the 295/35 on an 19x11 ET 52 or ET 50 should be ok (with normal shocks, not sure about clearance with the Peddlers)

Steve68Cougar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 Cougar, '08 Mustang Bullitt, '18 Mustang RS2
This is with Roush coilovers (1 way adjustables), but you can see the Falken RT660 305/30-19 tucks up under the fender lip under hard cornering.
DSC_0956.JPG

I've got 25mm spacers and extended studs on the front with Apex EC-7 19x11 in ET52 offset. The car came with steering stops, so no issues during tight (a relative term) turns. I set the tires at about 3mm of clearance to the strut and the alignment shop used the Vorshlag camber plates to set the camber. I was initially set at 3.7 degrees negative camber (with more negative camber possible) and they backed them off about a degree less than that with zero toe. I have a significant amount of camber adjustment available in both directions if I feel like adjusting it. I might be able to stuff a 315 in there, but the 305 definitely fits. I've been very happy with it after 2 autocrosses. My times are significantly better than I ever ran with 275 Continental Sports. I've still got a lot of work to do on my driving, but I'm definitely more competitive than I was.

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

NewSetup.jpg
Rear springs are way too soft to be competitive. They are reviewed well by people who don't know much better. They ride and handle decent at 8/10ths or less, as they come.

Take Ken's advice on tuning and setup with them. They can be made to work well for a CAM setup but not with the spring setup they come with. They also just won't produce the peak grip nor the grip consistency of a nicer setup, but for the money, not bad.

cwh19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I have a set of 4 295/35/19s with ~18 55 second runs and under 50 street miles i was planning to list for sale. I'm also fairly close being right outside Pittsburgh. If you're interested, feel free to PM me.

danmit88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everybody for your advice. It sounds like I'll be looking at stiffer springs before I try a national event. My local CAM class is improving, but I could usually keep up or beat them in stock configuration.

danmit88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a set of 4 295/35/19s with ~18 55 second runs and under 50 street miles i was planning to list for sale. I'm also fairly close being right outside Pittsburgh. If you're interested, feel free to PM me.
For some reason, I'm unable to send you a PM.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everybody for your advice. It sounds like I'll be looking at stiffer springs before I try a national event. My local CAM class is improving, but I could usually keep up or beat them in stock configuration.
I would not shy away from national or regional competition just because your parts have been judged inferior by internet experts.

Like, none of these CAM cars are fully prepared for the class (with maybe a few exceptions), and there is a lot to be learned from attending those events and growing the driver. Autox is still very much all about the driver, and not that much about the hardware. Yes, even in CAM.
Sponsored