Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
For camber-limited classes I think the RT660 is gonna be a better choice. Similarly stiff sidewall to RE71R.

@NightmareMoon just won CAMC at the Texas tour on them (295/35R19 on 11").
Yeah the Falkens felt amazing all weekend. Even messing around a bit on wet streets before the event they felt good. I thought I would still have A052 envy, but nope, these RT660s did everything I could ask.

The aero mods helped a ton with confidence at speed, and probably get me get away with some moves on this very fast flowing course that would have been pretty sketchy in a car without a big spoiler. I shifted to 3rd gear four times on day one and drove a big chunk of course in 3rd on day 2. Ended up 5th in overall PAX for the event.
Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
How was the tire wear and will you be driving on them to/from events?

Also how was the steering response compared to the BFG's which have a "lots of slip angle required compared to RE-71R's" reputation?

FYI I'm still in FS so I would be on 275/35x19's with 9" F and 9.5" R wheels.

Thanks!
Been thinking about what I felt on this new to me tire since leaving the event a few hours ago...

Wife and I got about 30+ runs today on a 44+ sec course. Tire wear looks negligible but the site is not hard on tires and it wasn't hot out. Again, well supported 295 on an 11 wheel with much stiffer than stock suspension.

Tires were brand new with maybe 50 miles on the street. I drove the car to this event because it is local to me and I wanted to burn off mold release as much as possible. I normally trailer the car to events and don't drive it on the street much anymore (cuz CAMtard).

Steering response was very nice. I felt like I was more in sync with this tire. Once I made those small setup changes to the rear I felt like there was a very communicative, linear source of grip to work with. What was cool was I was able to notice if I was behind on my steering or jerky in slaloms vs having to see it on video later. I could adjust on the fly. Maybe I just wasn't driving hard enough today and I probably sound like a moron, idk.

It's only been one event and first heat cycle....
The elite level folks in the PNW were all up in Olympia, WA area so no idea how I was really doing.

Not sure what to say for you in FS. My gut is telling me you'd need to run the 275 A052 for heat tolerance but it will be severely pinched. If it were me I think I'd do either 265 Falken or 275 BFG for hot/dry events or if you are more cool, damp then 255/35 A052. You're in a tough spot :-/

My $.02 which is all that this is worth.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Been thinking about what I felt on this new to me tire since leaving the event a few hours ago...

Wife and I got about 30+ runs today on a 44+ sec course. Tire wear looks negligible but the site is not hard on tires and it wasn't hot out. Again, well supported 295 on an 11 wheel with much stiffer than stock suspension.

Tires were brand new with maybe 50 miles on the street. I drove the car to this event because it is local to me and I wanted to burn off mold release as much as possible. I normally trailer the car to events and don't drive it on the street much anymore (cuz CAMtard).

Steering response was very nice. I felt like I was more in sync with this tire. Once I made those small setup changes to the rear I felt like there was a very communicative, linear source of grip to work with. What was cool was I was able to notice if I was behind on my steering or jerky in slaloms vs having to see it on video later. I could adjust on the fly. Maybe I just wasn't driving hard enough today and I probably sound like a moron, idk.

It's only been one event and first heat cycle....
The elite level folks in the PNW were all up in Olympia, WA area so no idea how I was really doing.

Not sure what to say for you in FS. My gut is telling me you'd need to run the 275 A052 for heat tolerance but it will be severely pinched. If it were me I think I'd do either 265 Falken or 275 BFG for hot/dry events or if you are more cool, damp then 255/35 A052. You're in a tough spot :-/

My $.02 which is all that this is worth.
Thanks Steve,

1) It sounds like both the A052 and the RT-660 275/35x19 will at least appear to be pinched/squeezed on my 9" front wheels even though 275/35 for many folks even 285/35 RE-71R's were "fine".

2) Most of the events I'm likely to run will be in 70 - 95 deg plus NC summer weather with the chance of heavy thunderstorms for the drive home. I guess you are saying you NW guys have found that the A052's over heat easily even in the usually cool western WA and OR temps. If so, that doesn't sound good for the SE. BFG's are out for me due to the likelihood of hydroplaning on the drive home. Plus the Tire Rack test of the A052's indicated some hydroplaning tendency even with new tires.

3) Has anyone tried the GY SC3's in your area?

Thanks again!

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the Falkens felt amazing all weekend. Even messing around a bit on wet streets before the event they felt good. I thought I would still have A052 envy, but nope, these RT660s did everything I could ask.

The aero mods helped a ton with confidence at speed, and probably get me get away with some moves on this very fast flowing course that would have been pretty sketchy in a car without a big spoiler. I shifted to 3rd gear four times on day one and drove a big chunk of course in 3rd on day 2. Ended up 5th in overall PAX for the event.
Great job!

I'm in FS with 9" F and 9.5" R wheel width. From your experience/observation of the feel and appearance of your 295's on 11's do you think the 275/35's F & R on my wheels would be about as "happy" as the 275/35 RE-71R's were vs go down to 265's on the fronts?

Thanks!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Great job!

I'm in FS with 9" F and 9.5" R wheel width. From your experience/observation of the feel and appearance of your 295's on 11's do you think the 275/35's F & R on my wheels would be about as "happy" as the 275/35 RE-71R's were vs go down to 265's on the fronts?

Thanks!
i can’t really say, since I only have one event and my application is so different (stretched on 11s, lots more camber)

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i can’t really say, since I only have one event and my application is so different (stretched on 11s, lots more camber)
Thanks! I wasn't thinking about the camber you would have in CAM but agree that makes a big difference, especially with the tire stretched on the max recommended wheel width..

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Thanks! I wasn't thinking about the camber you would have in CAM but agree that makes a big difference, especially with the tire stretched on the max recommended wheel width..
Not quite. They do not appear stretched at all, actually.

Screenshot_20210329-215246_Chrome.jpg

received_766876210894083.jpeg

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not quite. They do not appear stretched at all, actually.

Screenshot_20210329-215246_Chrome.jpg

received_766876210894083.jpeg
Good point and thanks for the picture and the correction on the max recommended rim width being 11.5" so not "stretched" on 11's according to mfg/industry specs. One thing I see from that picture and others I've seen is that the "rim protector" on the RT-660 is very similar in appearance to the ones on my OEM Michelin PS4S 255/40 and 275/40 tires. As a result a "stack" of 2 of each size is actually about 1" higher than a "stack" of four 275/35x19 RE-71R's. All on the OEM size 9" F and 9.5" R wheels.

Based on what I've learned so far I'm leaning towards four 275/35x19 RT-660's. My front autocross wheels have 6 mm more offset than OEM so tire to Magneride strut clearance will be fine.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
you think the 275/35's F & R on my wheels would be about as "happy" as the 275/35 RE-71R's were vs go down to 265's on the fronts?
The Ecoboost PP is equipped with 265/35 on 9's front and back. 255F/275R works all day.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the 2020 Mustang Order Guide

 EcoBoost® Handling Package (Available on Fastback only)
• 19” X 9.5 Aluminum Wheel
• 265/40R19 Pirelli Corsa4 (Summer Only)

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
@DickR when I am referring to tire sizes for a certain wheel, like FS GTPP wheels, I go by the Tire Rack tread width specs when considering what sizes to go with. 275 RT660 or A052 will be over an inch wider than the front wheels so that's why I say severely pinched. I just think that's too wide for the wheel and expecting good performance out of the tire.

The 265 RT660 is a bit less wide than the 275 and perhaps a good option the try. I can see why you don't want to go BFG because of the need to transit in heavy rain on the road.

In terms of heat tolerance for the A052 I'm just going by what I've seen all over online with various elite drivers saying it's a first or second run type tire. I don't get to run on large tour type courses except for once or twice a year so not worried about that for my postage stamp lot courses. I still have 305/30-19 Rivals on 11.5" wheels for track cross events or the hot days/big courses, if needed.

@NightmareMoon awesome job taking the TX Tour win and great pax placing!

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Then you have those of us on "dinosaur" Rivals, lol.
Sponsored