SCCA CAM-C Thread

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
My alignment sheet says 0.10° in per side, which has felt good for a while.
It's a matter of all the spices in the soup. Low or high settings can both be made to work well, but there may be a more efficient way to achieve the same goal.
Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
That's a ton of toe. I'm at 0.24 deg total, which IIRC, is less than half that.
I agree a ton. What's interesting though is I can run the rebound high where it needs to be as well so maybe there is a correlation. I will find a way to back the toe off a 1/8" or so and see what that feels like.

It's a matter of all the spices in the soup. Low or high settings can both be made to work well, but there may be a more efficient way to achieve the same goal.
See above. Maybe there is a relationship between toe and rebound with these particular shocks.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I agree a ton. What's interesting though is I can run the rebound high where it needs to be as well so maybe there is a correlation. I will find a way to back the toe off a 1/8" or so and see what that feels like.

See above. Maybe there is a relationship between toe and rebound with these particular shocks.
Yeah I am not surprised it is stable with that and allows you to run that much. In theory you'd probably end up with more overall grip with a bit less toe and less damping.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I've had an idea and I want you lot to punch some holes in it.

We've talked about how the 3.55 gearing isn't particularly nice for autocross duty with the 6 speed (and my engine, especially). The 3.31 is a better match (+~5 mph) but I feel the 3.15 (+~10mph) is really the way to go. I can't just go really short & just use third, because I drive too much on the street and have a lot of multiple hour highway drives for work. My car has to work pulling double duty. The problem with the 3.15 is that it only fits the standard 8.8 IRS and not the 'Super 8.8'. The problem with using the standard 8.8 is that the Torsen differential doesn't fit and you're stuck with a Ford Traction-Lok.

So, does anyone see obvious problems with using a standard 8.8 IRS housing with the 3.15 CW&P and fit it with an OS Giken differential (which does exist for this application)? That housing/gear combo is dirt cheap to find used. The diff isn't cheap, but is not absurdly priced either, especially when you consider it's a pretty capable piece. I'm trying to come up with negatives, but, assuming it all bolts up to my existing rear subframe and half-shafts, I can't think of many. What do you all think?

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
The ford clutch pack differential works just fine with the carbon fiber disks. You can add or take away carbon plates to fine-tune the lockup if you want. I Found the as-delivered CF clutches without center spring to work pretty well on my CAM S197. Be aware that clutches are a wear Item. I had my differential apart often enough that I purchased a reusable gasket marketed to the offroad community. In my experience, clutches in general cause more throttle rotation that the Torsen. So as you tweak things to work well on throttle you end up with a car that behaves unhappy not on throttle.

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I've had an idea and I want you lot to punch some holes in it.

We've talked about how the 3.55 gearing isn't particularly nice for autocross duty with the 6 speed (and my engine, especially). The 3.31 is a better match (+~5 mph) but I feel the 3.15 (+~10mph) is really the way to go. I can't just go really short & just use third, because I drive too much on the street and have a lot of multiple hour highway drives for work. My car has to work pulling double duty. The problem with the 3.15 is that it only fits the standard 8.8 IRS and not the 'Super 8.8'. The problem with using the standard 8.8 is that the Torsen differential doesn't fit and you're stuck with a Ford Traction-Lok.

So, does anyone see obvious problems with using a standard 8.8 IRS housing with the 3.15 CW&P and fit it with an OS Giken differential (which does exist for this application)? That housing/gear combo is dirt cheap to find used. The diff isn't cheap, but is not absurdly priced either, especially when you consider it's a pretty capable piece. I'm trying to come up with negatives, but, assuming it all bolts up to my existing rear subframe and half-shafts, I can't think of many. What do you all think?
Run 3.31 with the T2-R or Giken. The 3.15 gear set won't work with either diff.

I feel like you need to keep in mind tire sizes as part of your gearing also.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
The ford clutch pack differential works just fine with the carbon fiber disks. You can add or take away carbon plates to fine-tune the lockup if you want. I Found the as-delivered CF clutches without center spring to work pretty well on my CAM S197. Be aware that clutches are a wear Item. I had my differential apart often enough that I purchased a reusable gasket marketed to the offroad community. In my experience, clutches in general cause more throttle rotation that the Torsen. So as you tweak things to work well on throttle you end up with a car that behaves unhappy not on throttle.
Using the Trac-Loc is a deal breaker for me. If anything, just because it's constant maintenance.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Run 3.31 with the T2-R or Giken. The 3.15 gear set won't work with either diff.

I feel like you need to keep in mind tire sizes as part of your gearing also.
I talked to Giken yesterday. They show a Super 8.8 and standard 8.8 option on their website and claim the standard will work with a 3.15. I understand the Torsen is a no go.

I see what you've done on the taller tire and may follow suit, but it kinda sucks to have to sacrifice width in the process. I suppose it doesn't ultimately measure out to much.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
295 RT660's are just as wide as 305's basically (IIRC)

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
In mostly unrelated news, that FPP antilock brake controller is vaporware. I've tried to locate one and they don't exist as far as I can tell. FPP people say the Shelby unit will not work.

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Well, that's a pretty good endorsement.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
And as of this weekend, have two champ tour wins with @NightmareMoon piloting. Both the tire and the size are the real deal. I love mine, too.
My next tire for sure. Looks like I'll have to jump on them when they come back in stock.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
It was pretty wet for practice and day 1 runs at last weekend's tour. The Falkens gripped well in damp/wet conditions, but were very difficult across any standing water. Basically they hydroplaned at low speeds. I let a couple of CP drivers use the car in CP after their Camaro blew up it's motor, and I actually sent them out on my street MP4S for their day 1 runs because of the amount of standing water on course. Probably too be expected considering the tread pattern.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
It was pretty wet for practice and day 1 runs at last weekend's tour. The Falkens gripped well in damp/wet conditions, but were very difficult across any standing water. Basically they hydroplaned at low speeds. I let a couple of CP drivers use the car in CP after their Camaro blew up it's motor, and I actually sent them out on my street MP4S for their day 1 runs because of the amount of standing water on course. Probably too be expected considering the tread pattern.
Yeah not much different than any of the fast 200tw offerings.
Sponsored