SCCA CAM-C Thread

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I've got about 2-2.5 inches horizontally before it protrudes past the bumper edge, so it could be leaned back maybe 5 or 10 more degrees. I'd loose drag, but I'd also loose downforce at a shallower angle (from what little I've read). Good info on wacky CAM legal spoilers is hard to find, but I did find a little.
Well, as with most aero experiments, it's a maybe. You'd have to test it. There's a compromise with spoiler angle.

Leaning the spoiler back will likely reduce the magnitude of the high pressure area on the trunk lid, but it will definitely give more surface area (in plan view) for the pressure bubble to act. Also, since there will be a low pressure area on the back side of the spoiler, you will likely find an interaction between the spoiler angle & the flow under the car. I can't remember if you have a diffuser or not, but, if so, you'll find you can run a more aggressive angle. By assisting the under car flow exit, you'll make the splitter work better. As you might guess, I'm a big fan of spoilers.

I bet there's not a racetrack in CA which will be slower due to the added drag.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
The drag itself is also helpful because all that force pulling back at the trunk stabilizes the car from the spinz.
It'll be a big bonus for braking as well.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, as with most aero experiments, it's a maybe. You'd have to test it. There's a compromise with spoiler angle.
so who's got NASA's number for the "rent our 30ft diameter 100mph wind tunnel for an hour" reservation hotline? Unfortunately when I called Norfolk to borrow the USAF's they said my credit card didn't have a high enough limit and also not enough stars on my shoulder... Damn it, I paid for that F-22 sitting there on the tarmac!

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
so who's got NASA's number for the "rent our 30ft diameter 100mph wind tunnel for an hour" reservation hotline? Unfortunately when I called Norfolk to borrow the USAF's they said my credit card didn't have a high enough limit and also not enough stars on my shoulder... Damn it, I paid for that F-22 sitting there on the tarmac!
There's a little tunnel in North Carolina that would do the job for ~$5k/day.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
So spoiler and splitter felt good on course. Could have tricked me into thinking I was on stickier tires on my first couple of runs, esp through the medium to fast stuff. My car has always been neutral to ‘lively’ balance and it felt very solidly planted powering out of stuff compared to what I remember. Car felt planted.

My overall PAX for the day wasn’t wildly improved, but not any worse than how I normally finish (inside top 10%, 2nd in CAM class after a 630rwhp Optima ZL1 build which is technically not legal in CAM because wing and canards, driven by a top competitor). Also, my year old 100 run and multiple track day RE71s are kind of shot.

highway mpg was down about 3mpg or -20%, and it really wanted to drive straight down theroad with that airbrake out back. Everything survived the trip.

0E05F83C-21BD-43FC-89DA-D73EF0D000E5.jpeg

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Downforce feels good, huh?

Piano hinge mounting on the bottom of your spoiler and an extra set of stay mounts on the deck lid will fix the highway MPG. Quick pins with R-clips makes it a 60 second change-over.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
There was a couple posts a week or so ago about the Mustang ABS. Was that here or some other thread?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
After a pretty brutal last 2 weeks away on a work trip, I'm finally back and get to play with my car. I felt the rear spring rate was too stiff last time I ran, so I'm dropping 200# and seeing where we end up. I'm also running a longer spring to give that a go.

What you're seeing in the picture is a 8x2.5" 750 #/in spring on the Mike Maier weight/jacker ride height mounts. The blue aluminum spring perch is called a Hyperco hydraulic spring perch. It allows the spring seat to 'wobble' to accommodate the arc as the spring is compressed. It's riding on Torrington bearings to allow for easier turning of the weight jacker when the spring is preloaded.

I don't have the car on the ground, yet, but hopefully the ride height is acceptably low, because I don't have room to go further down right now. If it's not, I have an 850 x 7 x 2.5 that will take its place. Ya gotta cover all the bases.
20210204_172144.jpg

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
It appears my foolishness is showing as well. 8" long springs, even with a low-ish rate, produces a somewhat comical monster truck static ride height. It looks like those get to come out & the 7-inchers go in, lol!

I generally like to run the longest springs I can for a given application as it gives a more consistent rate through the range of motion and reduces the chance of coil-bind. The added spring length + the thickness of the spring perch was just too much, though. Live & learn...

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)