Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I really like my 275/35-18 Rivals on 18x11 combo for the cool days. Although, bought those before there was the Yokohama A052.

If you guys have a 19x10 set of wheels around you might consider 275s on them for the cool days. Conditions like that are more about getting the compound to activate then worrying about having the widest tire possible.
Agreed. I was able to get 275s to work in the 48-50 deg weather. Still challenging, but possible. The 305s just don't unless you're running two drivers.
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I'm thinking about loading maybe 10-12 sacks of Redi-mix concrete in my car to get more grip. Where should I put them in the car for best results?

Sham_POW

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm thinking about loading maybe 10-12 sacks of Redi-mix concrete in my car to get more grip. Where should I put them in the car for best results?
Just mix it up right in the trunk. Loose bags of concrete mix won't pass tech.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Just mix it up right in the trunk. Loose bags of concrete mix won't pass tech.
On top of the wing and splitter for max downforce ;-) /sarc

Sham_POW

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
On top of the wing and splitter for max downforce ;-) /sarc
You know that old saying "Cars are like people. They have to squat to go."? Logic dictates that if the car squats constantly, then it can GO constantly.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Static downforce is my favorite kind!
my aero works so well it generates downforce when parked. Perfect for off the line grip!

Sham_POW

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
This weekend's pro-solo was a bit of a bust. Thursday practice starts had to get shut down due to severe weather. Yesterday morning the weather was also pretty terrible, and things got off to a slightly late start. Delays seemed to stack throughout the day, and some cars didn't even get their second runs in before the site had to close at 7:30pm. I had been there at 6:30am to get some course walks in, so that was a LOOONG day. This morning was bitterly cold. The stragglers from yesterday began their runs around 8:30am, but by the end of the second runs for group 4, there was some sort of catastrophic timing/start failure and the event was completely cancelled shortly after 11am. 1/3 refunds for everybody since nobody got their 3rd runs.

As far as my performance goes, at least I didn't come in dead last in CAM. No red light starts, and only one cone penalty across all 8 runs, getting consistently better times. Most of my runs were definitely bad, but the last one I would say was a good run, just with mistakes. It was also after the car in front of me puked coolant all over the starting line, so I feel pretty good about that one. For my first pro-solo, first national event, and first CAM challenge event, I'll take it. Bringing a nearly stock car felt like bringing a knife to a gunfight. Still had fun. This weekend was really all about seat time for me anyways, until I start bringing the rest of the suspension up to snuff.

I'll probably take the wheels with the Falkens off tomorrow for some pictures. I can already tell I'm running too much camber in the rear for a nearly stock setup. That, and stock PP1 springs/magneride made the rear end a bit of a handful. On stock PP1 tires the car just understeers. With these tires the car just nosedives under braking and the weight is tough to shift back.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
This weekend's pro-solo was a bit of a bust.
Yeah I heard they had a timing problem. Too bad, usually those events run pretty well, but its hard to control for weather.

How much rear camber are you running currently? What's your swaybar situation?

Sponsored

Sham_POW

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yeah I heard they had a timing problem. Too bad, usually those events run pretty well, but its hard to control for weather.

How much rear camber are you running currently? What's your swaybar situation?
-1.7/-1.8. My alignment guy had a hell of a time chasing the toe on one side trying to get it to even out. Swaybars are stock (PP1) for now, but that'll be changing soon. It felt like when I could get some weight to transfer to that outside rear it would stick hard, but I wasn't able to pull that off very effectively. I struggled to put power down on corner exits, but had no real issues with transitional elements.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
-1.7/-1.8. My alignment guy had a hell of a time chasing the toe on one side trying to get it to even out. Swaybars are stock (PP1) for now, but that'll be changing soon. It felt like when I could get some weight to transfer to that outside rear it would stick hard, but I wasn't able to pull that off very effectively. I struggled to put power down on corner exits, but had no real issues with transitional elements.
That's not too much.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'd say that's not even nearly enough.

Re Pro - it was nice to meet you Jonathan. Both trees (main and back up) failed so they called it quits - given that was farthest event I ever traveled to short of Lincoln, not really happy about it.
I've had two runs yesterday with 30.2xx but both red lit - got impatient since it was so late... Would have put me near trophies so was hoping to repeat this morning without red lights (which almost certainly I would have failed to do :) )

But positive things - car drove well after winter changes, my Solostorm setup with Racecapture worked perfectly and my tow over the Charlotte (so far - since I'm not home yet) went well. I also was on last year's Rivals...

Last edited:

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Agreed. I was able to get 275s to work in the 48-50 deg weather. Still challenging, but possible. The 305s just don't unless you're running two drivers.
At the 50 deg windy event I was at Sat I had trouble getting the 275 BFGs to work (competitively) but might also be the fact this is the 3rd season for this set. A CAMS Vette on A052s was running great so I have ordered a set of those. They had 315/30s on 18x11 but the tires were pinched and I just don't do well with a fitment like that. I ordered 295/35s for my 18x11 wheels, which will also keep the diameter about the same as 305/30-19s.

I have 305/30-19 BFGs on 19x11.5 wheels too, but they are also heading into a 3rd season. The 2 mi long trackcross events coming up might be a good place to kill those off at.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Happy to report that 295/35R19 RT660 are a basically perfect fit on 19x11 wheels. See attached pics of mine and @NightmareMoon 's. Great fit, and a bit of a gearing advantage for us 15-17 cars with 3.73s. 27.2" vs 26.3" for 305/30R19.

Can't wait for events next month and the Chicago Tour in May.

received_2869261233314144.jpeg

received_113790564017678.jpeg

FB_IMG_1616542179283.jpg

received_766876210894083.jpeg
Sponsored