SCCA CAM-C Thread

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Does it look like there is going to be more stock soon of the s550 Bilstein PSS-10's? They seem to be about the best bang for the buck and will max out my suspension budget this year. Even that is probably pushing it.

They were available for a bit at TireRack, then I noticed they were out of stock everywhere when I checked later.
The spring rates are completely unknown. No doubt Bilstein makes a great damper but I'm not sure I'd say it's the best bang for the buck. Probably what @jpaulson did is. Also the Viking setup that @SteveW is building is showing significant promise.
Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Does it look like there is going to be more stock soon of the s550 Bilstein PSS-10's? They seem to be about the best bang for the buck and will max out my suspension budget this year. Even that is probably pushing it.

They were available for a bit at TireRack, then I noticed they were out of stock everywhere when I checked later.
The spring rates are completely unknown. No doubt Bilstein makes a great damper but I'm not sure I'd say it's the best bang for the buck. Probably what @jpaulson did is. Also the Viking setup that @SteveW is building is showing significant promise.
@murphyslaww you need 500-600 lb front springs, Steeda DR rears work great and good shocks to control them.

After running the Packwood CT with @jpaulson and seeing how well he's running I knew I needed to upgrade my shocks. Badly. I'm nervous that your Bilstein custom valved package is single adjustable though.

I did buy pair of Bilstein rear shocks for my tow vehicle though to get a sense of what a monotube shock can do, haha. I know apples to oranges but my pickup shocks were bad anyway and the Bilstein B6s are so much better.

To get a sense of much higher low speed rebound control than what I had but in a double adjustable shock I thought I'd experiment with the readily available and well priced Viking Crusaders. I've only got one event on the rears, haven't received the front struts yet and maybe 50 mi on the street so, hard to say for sure what the verdict is but they are better than what I had. For sure.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
19x11 wheels with 305 tires - what offset are you guys running (assuming they're sqare and can be rotated) and what spacer you need in front to make it fit ?

(wheel models ?)

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
19x11 wheels with 305 tires - what offset are you guys running (assuming they're sqare and can be rotated) and what spacer you need in front to make it fit ?

(wheel models ?)
I have SVE GT7 in 19x11 +50 square with 305 RE71R. I'm using a 25mm slip on spacer

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Can someone explain me camber plates ? How much more camber are they adding ? And which ones are the ones to get (does it matter or they're all basically the same ?) if I stayed with stock shocks but lower springs ?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone explain me camber plates ? How much more camber are they adding ? And which ones are the ones to get (does it matter or they're all basically the same ?) if I stayed with stock shocks but lower springs ?
I'd probably go with the J&M. They have independent camber and caster adjustments. They also have optional radial bearing seats if you ever want to use them with coilovers. Range is +/- 1.75 deg, though the tower hole will restrict you before the plate.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
In CAMC you might want ~3 degrees of camber. Some plates won’t get you that and you might need to widen or notch your strut tower holes. Lowering won’t get you nearly as much as you’d like to have. The upside to getting it right is your tires will last longer.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
In CAMC you might want ~3 degrees of camber. Some plates won’t get you that and you might need to widen or notch your strut tower holes. Lowering won’t get you nearly as much as you’d like to have. The upside to getting it right is your tires will last longer.
Thanks - what I can't figure out is which plates give the most camber and whether there is actually any difference between them - seems like -2.5 degrees is achievable with slotting the struts just a bit more which I would rather not do...

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I know for a fact the Steeda plates give -3 degrees. No caster adjustment, but car comes from Ford with over 7* of positive caster

Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Most plates will be the same. The limitation will be the hole in the strut tower. Once that is opened up, more camber is possible.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Once that is opened up, more camber is possible.
Is doing that CAM-legal? I've been away from autocross for a while and tend to remember philosophy more than detail..

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks - what I can't figure out is which plates give the most camber and whether there is actually any difference between them - seems like -2.5 degrees is achievable with slotting the struts just a bit more which I would rather not do...
You can get “camber” by slotting the struts, but that method sacrifices strut to tire clearance (which is critical when you’re trying to run wide tires) and isn’t super secure unless you weld some material back into slot holes so the bolts cant slip. With 305s and 11” wheels you can’t sacrifice much clearance at the tire-strut body and need to move the entire strut over, which is what camber plates do. Slotting leaves the strut in place and moves the knuckle and wheel inward.

Unless noted that a camber plate doesn’t give the full mechanical amount allowed by your strut tower openings, I’d assume they will. Most will be fine. I cant speak to all the brands out there, but Steeda camber plates give the full amount (3+), but Maximum Motorsports camber plates won’t (they are limited to ~2 degrees). Vorshlag are nice parts but pricey.
Sponsored