Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
What did you guys do with rear seat ? Or specifically - if you removed it, what did you put in instead if anything ? I honestly would like to remove it to create some more space for carrying wheels to the event but also cover bare metal under the seat bottom..... Seat deletes solutions (which are one piece) don't see to allow too much flexibility...
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
While my '08 isn't a CAM build, it does get loaded down with quite a collection of track day stuff, so I've occasionally considered doing a rear seat delete.

I have two concerns . . . anything that eliminates the wells under the rear seat is going to cost volume and shape that can be downright useful when you're using the back seat area for carrying tires. And whatever the kit arrangement might be, it would have to provide a foldable panel to at least visually close off the trunk from the passenger compartment, and ideally provide a level of protection against exhaust fumes comparable to the OE seatback.

Norm

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
SVE has a setup that forms to the floor.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
While my '08 isn't a CAM build, it does get loaded down with quite a collection of track day stuff, so I've occasionally considered doing a rear seat delete.

I have two concerns . . . anything that eliminates the wells under the rear seat is going to cost volume and shape that can be downright useful when you're using the back seat area for carrying tires. And whatever the kit arrangement might be, it would have to provide a foldable panel to at least visually close off the trunk from the passenger compartment, and ideally provide a level of protection against exhaust fumes comparable to the OE seatback.

Norm
Coming back to this - why do you think you want the panel to close off the trunk area ?

Flat panel that eliminates wells under the rear seat gets you actually way more space than you've had before - mostly because of how thick the seat bottom structure is. How do I know that ? I've made a DYI delete with plywood, trunk liner off ebay and some high density foam from Joanne's Fabrics of all places stuffed in the wells to provide some support while transporting the wheels. Tell me this doesn't look nice ;-) And it was super cheap...
I'll soon start mass production and start selling them for $100 a piece.... (Joke of course).

IMG_20200629_123042.jpg

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
So guys that ran in Packwood Pro - what wheels (model / width / offset) did you ran since you were all on (315 / 18" I assume) Yokos ?

Sponsored

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
So guys that ran in Packwood Pro - what wheels (model / width / offset) did you ran since you were all on (315 / 18" I assume) Yokos ?
I ran Apex EC7's 18x11 et 52 and 295-30-18 yokos.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Coming back to this - why do you think you want the panel to close off the trunk area ?

Flat panel that eliminates wells under the rear seat gets you actually way more space than you've had before - mostly because of how thick the seat bottom structure is. How do I know that ? I've made a DYI delete with plywood, trunk liner off ebay and some high density foam from Joanne's Fabrics of all places stuffed in the wells to provide some support while transporting the wheels. Tell me this doesn't look nice ;-) And it was super cheap...
I'll soon start mass production and start selling them for $100 a piece.... (Joke of course).
Looks great! Nice job.

One reason for a panel to close off the trunk is to reduce drone and perhaps keep trunk junk from visiting you up front in a sudden stop if you drive it on the street much. To each their own, though.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I ran Apex EC7's 18x11 et 52 and 295-30-18 yokos.
Thanks ! (and congrats)

How did that affect your gearing / max speed in 2nd ? I am running 305/19 Rivals, 295/35/18 Yokohama will be close in diameter but 295/30 is almost an inch smaller....

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Looks great! Nice job.

One reason for a panel to close off the trunk is to reduce drone and perhaps keep trunk junk from visiting you up front in a sudden stop if you drive it on the street much. To each their own, though.
Steve - no doubt - especially with the trunk junk. My pllan is to put back seat back in (which is why I haven't removed the seat belts - too many panels than I was willing to deal with and my 7 yo daughter likes to ride in a "pony car"). Drone isn't bad but it was really loud when I rode a bit with seat completely out and it was uncomfortably loud with stock active exhaust in a normal mode.

And I might come up with something to close of trunk that is easily removable as I have some material left. Have couple of ABS plastic sheets I bought but haven't used...

Btw - between scales in Peru and Bristol seems like that delete got rid of about 30-35lb.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Mainly to keep stuff in the trunk hidden from prying eyes the rest of the time. I have to admit I hadn't specifically considered the matter of trunk junk maybe not staying in the trunk, or anything about the potential for drone at all.

Flat panel that eliminates wells under the rear seat gets you actually way more space than you've had before - mostly because of how thick the seat bottom structure is.
Of course (and not having a seat back either still in place or folded down adds a good bit of useful volume as well). Me, I'd rather use the wells under the rear seat cushion as more storage volume / storage options for the stuff I'm trying to make fit inside the car. I've pulled the rear seat cushion for a number of track days for that reason.

How do I know that ? I've made a DYI delete with plywood, trunk liner off ebay and some high density foam from Joanne's Fabrics of all places stuffed in the wells to provide some support while transporting the wheels. Tell me this doesn't look nice ;-) And it was super cheap...
Came out nice, and I like the attitude that went into putting it together.

I've thought about creating some sort of rear seat delete a couple of times myself, without ever getting far enough into the details to do any actual work. It's usually a good thing if I don't go running off in the first direction I think might work . . .

Norm

Reactions: kz

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Thanks ! (and congrats)

How did that affect your gearing / max speed in 2nd ? I am running 305/19 Rivals, 295/35/18 Yokohama will be close in diameter but 295/30 is almost an inch smaller....
I have a 2018 manual car so the gearing change was a positive. IiRC, went from 73 down to 70ish mph.

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
@jpaulson congrats on running so well at the Tour and Pro! Nice to see you all at the Tour.
Good to see you as well.

Both events were a mixed bag for me. I had a good Sunday but not so good Saturday at the tour. Then at the pro, I had fast time on the right but couldn't manage to make a decent left run all weekend.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I have a 2018 manual car so the gearing change was a positive. IiRC, went from 73 down to 70ish mph.
That's why I'm asking - have an '18 manual too, quick calc shows that for 70 mph for stock 275/40/19 (assumming still 3.73 rear end) it drops by almost 7 mph for 295/30/18 (25" diameter) so 67ish mph limiter in the 2nd...
Anyway - thanks for responding - I assume you liked the Yokos...

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
they put down power better than any street tire i've ever tried, and they wear faster than A7s ever did for me for autox (track wear is much better) - and with no contingency, 0 chance to recoup costs. i sincerely hope they get banned :)
... and no comments from the peanut gallery @jpaulson - i drive the *same* way on rivals and stones, and they both lasted a helluva lot longer!! :p

also, sorry i missed ya @SteveW, but i had something to prove @ PPIR :D
Sponsored