Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Update: Picked up GT350 with 3rd engine replacement after dealer had it 2.5 months (unacceptable - blamed COVID, but got a nice loaner). New engine had a little rough idle when picked up but settled down after some driving. Dealer damaged vinyl stripe, misaligned the hood severely and cracked the front facia just above the splitter..I let them know. Took another month 2 get parts and took in for a scheduled appointment which took 2 weeks(Got loaner). Hood still not correct, they replaced the air splitter instead of facia, front nose popping out from fender now and they had a vinyl guy try to match the stripe (I was livid, and went off and had them order a OEM decal). Facia has been ordered..still waiting weeks later. All this coupled with 2 AC hoses blowing off and several issues with parking brake I lost confidence in this car and this dealers service dept. With 19,700 on odometer, 1,800 on new engine I went to another dealer last night and and traded for a loaded Explorer. I loved this car when it ran, but this is too much. I'll get something else down the road. Hope you all have better luck than I have.

On a side note after I got 3rd motor broke in I was on a road trip and ran into a guy at a gas station from Romeo engine plant that was a chief quality control guy and he asked how I liked the car...well I explained my issues and he verbally admitted that 15-17 had major issues with high oil consumption and 2nd motor that snapped a vale he said said yep, Ford had a bad batch of valves.
Was you dealer a small town dealer? It sure doesn't sound like they have a plan to service/repair higher end cars like the Shelby.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
On a side note after I got 3rd motor broke in I was on a road trip and ran into a guy at a gas station from Romeo engine plant that was a chief quality control guy and he asked how I liked the car...well I explained my issues and he verbally admitted that 15-17 had major issues with high oil consumption and 2nd motor that snapped a vale he said said yep, Ford had a bad batch of valves.
Sounds so janky.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Don’t know why they can’t just admit it publicly.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
D
Update: Picked up GT350 with 3rd engine replacement after dealer had it 2.5 months (unacceptable - blamed COVID, but got a nice loaner). New engine had a little rough idle when picked up but settled down after some driving. Dealer damaged vinyl stripe, misaligned the hood severely and cracked the front facia just above the splitter..I let them know. Took another month 2 get parts and took in for a scheduled appointment which took 2 weeks(Got loaner). Hood still not correct, they replaced the air splitter instead of facia, front nose popping out from fender now and they had a vinyl guy try to match the stripe (I was livid, and went off and had them order a OEM decal). Facia has been ordered..still waiting weeks later. All this coupled with 2 AC hoses blowing off and several issues with parking brake I lost confidence in this car and this dealers service dept. With 19,700 on odometer, 1,800 on new engine I went to another dealer last night and and traded for a loaded Explorer. I loved this car when it ran, but this is too much. I'll get something else down the road. Hope you all have better luck than I have.

Did he offer any specifics on the oil use thing?

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
D

Did he offer any specifics on the oil use thing?
I think it was discussed. The oil usage is related to blow-by. The gap between cylinder wall and cylinder head is larger in gen1 than in gen2 voodoo engines. Anyone may correct me if I'm wrong.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
yep, Ford had a bad batch of valves.
So where is the proactive notification at a minimum and better yet recall of all affected engines? Oh wait, this isn't Japan or Germany - this is "if it didn't blow up in your face, be happy" America.

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Interesting feedback. Wonder if there was a "bad batch" in the 15-17's that can be blamed for the consumption issues. Since there are several in that window (mine included) that are fine. Seems like there were problems throughout the entire line since there are a decent amount of 18 failures we've seen as well.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So where is the proactive notification at a minimum and better yet recall of all affected engines? Oh wait, this isn't Japan or Germany - this is "if it didn't blow up in your face, be happy" America.

how many GT350 owners are on this forum ?

According to
The poll 73 engines have failed but I wonder how many owners are represented here- I bet the math comes out to a 1.5% fail rate

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I'm near a dealer that I almost talked about buying a 350 from. Now for the last few months after I finally saw it was sold. They have the car sitting there inside the repair center for nearly a month. I'm willing to bet that's the same GT350 from the floor and I bet you that it's waiting on a small bloc. lololololol WTF Ford. I didn't buy that care for that exact reason.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE

According to
The poll 73 engines have failed but I wonder how many owners are represented here- I bet the math comes out to a 1.5% fail rate
There’s probably a way to figure out how many are here, but it’s not every owner and your % is gonna be really high and really off(undoubtedly some signed up here just because their’s blew).

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yeah I’m still struggling with the failure of them to align the bodywork after replacing the motor, keep having issues with the A/C and now getting a periodic vibration in the steering wheel every two seconds when at 90mph. I love the car but Ford techs are shit.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110

According to
Yeah I’m still struggling with the failure of them to align the bodywork after replacing the motor, keep having issues with the A/C and now getting a periodic vibration in the steering wheel every two seconds when at 90mph. I love the car but Ford techs are shit.
Yeah, $150K car in $24K Mustang body.

morepowr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Was you dealer a small town dealer? It sure doesn't sound like they have a plan to service/repair higher end cars like the Shelby.
This is a somewhat smaller dealer, but own several dealers. I do believe the problem is the service manager not follow up on his techs. If it would not been for me taking the car initially, they would never get my service business again. When second engine blew I had it towed to another dealer and they said it would have to go to dealer that put the engine in. Well they lost 2 sales from me, I bought my wife an EcoBoost stand and Explorer.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT

According to
Take this with a grain of salt:
Last year I had a, let’s say, dealer friend look up the warranty records of 25 of the highest milage (lowest cost) GT350’s within my area. Most were GT350’s, only a few were R’s. It was something like 13% had a replaced engine at least once. If memory serves, all were cars around 15,000-40,000 miles.