Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

morepowr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
New here with a 2017 GT350 w 17,540 mi. Mentioned high oil consumption to dealer and they put me on oil consumption test. Took it back just 50 shy of 1000 miles and got and call the next day that a new engine has been ordered. Dealer is being mum about how much consumed or any details. I know I used 10 its in 5 k miles prior to oil consumption test. AC issues as well. If I can find out more details I will post.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ok so my 2017 GT350R was given to the dealer on January 20 and was ready for pick up with a new engine on February 21. So one month for the whole thing. I was surprised that once the new engine was received, the new engine was installed in just a couple of days. I thought the shop work would take longer. So it seems that the vast majority of the time for this process is just getting the engine shipped to the dealer. Ford Performance makes the dealer jump through a few hoops before they order the engine. Check for ECU meddling etc. As I did none of that, I had no problem and the engine was ordered about a week after the dealer got the car. About 2 ½ weeks from the time the engine was ordered until it reached the dealer. I drove it home from the dealer just cruising and not winding out the engine as I want to be careful to break in the new engine properly. The car was absolutely filthy having been left outside for a month to let the dirt and dew bake into the exterior. It was so bad, I told them to leave it alone so they wouldn’t jack up the paint washing it was some dirty rags. Spent about 4 hours washing and cleaning it up. Looks like I will need to do a little correction to get it back to the condition I like though. In general the dealer was not very good with communication and I only heard from them a couple times in the whole process. I never heard from Ford Performance. They never even offered me a loaner. Fortunately I have an extra car so I used that for the month. I hope the work was good and I don’t have any more issues. The time it took for the replacement was reasonable I think but the process was a little unsatisfying due to the lack of communication. Now I need to get one of my carbon wheels replaced as it looks like someone on the assembly line completely missed the spacer retaining clips that hold the spacer on the front wheel.
Glad you got a new engine - my advice is to try to avoid cruising with a new engine if you want good ring seal.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Yes, do not do steady speed cruises. I would also go look at the engine bay and make sure all hose clamps are tight and positioned. In my engine replacement, I had to move two hose clamps up a bit. Least with mine, they did keep it inside and i had no issues of being dirty or getting scuffed. My new motor is one year and one month old and uses little oil after 13K miles placed on it. I did have to get the AC compressor replaced and they rear cylinder block plate replaced since then, which should have been done when the engine was replaced.

Wooly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Tech, Porsche 991GT3
Glad you got a new engine - my advice is to try to avoid cruising with a new engine if you want good ring seal.
Yes, not cruising per say. Just not winding out the engine to high Rpm’s just yet.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
New here with a 2017 GT350 w 17,540 mi. Mentioned high oil consumption to dealer and they put me on oil consumption test. Took it back just 50 shy of 1000 miles and got and call the next day that a new engine has been ordered. Dealer is being mum about how much consumed or any details. I know I used 10 its in 5 k miles prior to oil consumption test. AC issues as well. If I can find out more details I will post.
Ensure that they replace the AC compressor bolts. They are single use and there are a few instances of re-used bolts failing - leading to engine replacement. It would suck to get your engine replaced, they re-use the bolts on the new engine and break them in the block, leading to another new engine. I think @EF300 may have experienced this?

Ron Swanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW & Lexus
Getting the itch again to buy one of these... Is the inherent issue that's causing blown engines still a mystery?

Thx!

morepowr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Update. Got the replacement engine which is an '19 "R". Had it about 3 weeks and 340 mi and on way to work it just shuttered real hard and sputtered. I was able to coast into a parking lot and have it towed in. Dealer said motor seized up and towed it to dealer that put engine in. The dealer that installed the motor says a piston hit spark plug. I am thinking a wrist pin came loose or maybe a faulty injector caused high compression that detonated the spark plug. With the virus situation the dealer is saying they have a skeleton crew and may be a while before they can replace motor. They have offered a loaner car sos far.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Update. Got the replacement engine which is an '19 "R". Had it about 3 weeks and 340 mi and on way to work it just shuttered real hard and sputtered. I was able to coast into a parking lot and have it towed in. Dealer said motor seized up and towed it to dealer that put engine in. The dealer that installed the motor says a piston hit spark plug. I am thinking a wrist pin came loose or maybe a faulty injector caused high compression that detonated the spark plug. With the virus situation the dealer is saying they have a skeleton crew and may be a while before they can replace motor. They have offered a loaner car sos far.
I'm really sorry to here this happening to you. Wish Ford could get these engines right. If doesn't go bad no matter how driven, the Voodoo is a very powerful engine and the GT 350 really fun to drive. Hope you don't have to wait to long to get engine again replaced and that its all good from then on.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Wow. That’s disappointing.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Getting the itch again to buy one of these... Is the inherent issue that's causing blown engines still a mystery?

Thx!
It does happen but very limited. As said before with the web giving people a place to tell their story we hear about in a manner that makes it sound like it's something new. It. Happens with all brands and even to non performance cars. It's just the web. If you want a great car just add a warranty and you should be fine.

Also don't count on every post being accurate. The guys that really have an engine problem will often post pictures and give good information on the process. I think some of the posts are fan boys from other brands just having fun stirring things up.

Last edited:

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue

Guess you got your question answered, Huh?

Thx!

Ron Swanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW & Lexus
It does happen but very limited. As said before with the web giving people a place to tell their story we hear about in a manner that makes it sound like it's something new. It. Happens with all brands and even to non performance cars. It's just the web. If you want a great car just add a warranty and you should be fine.

Also don't count on every post being accurate. The guys that really have an engine problem will often post pictures and give good information on the process. I think some of the posts are fan boys from other brands just having fun stirring things up.
Guess you got your question answered, Huh?
Sorry, I must be missing something?

I am not here to troll, I've driven this car numerous times and love them. I am looking to switch up cars again soon, so i was hoping we had some idea what the inherent issue with this engine is. I have no problem buying a car with inherent issues, all cars have them. I have a problem buying a car with an inherent issue that grenades engines and nobody has any idea why. There is some issue here, there's no denying it.

I'll back off if I'm just offending people, that's not my goal here. I am legitimately flabbergasted that no aftermarket provider of Mustang parts or performance shop has figured this out yet. I thought I was just missing a solution in my research.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a problem buying a car with an inherent issue that grenades engines and nobody has any idea why.
Ford isn't publicly disclosing what the issue is, for sure. That's assuming they care to run it down. It's probably being chalked up to "manufacture variability" and being ignored. Or the solution is too expensive (QC incoming parts, changing supplier, paying for for a better quality of component) to bother with. If they're only losing 1% of engines and are making $$$ on each one such that there is no accounting loss at the end of the day, it's unlikely the problem will be addressed.

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
Sorry, I must be missing something?
As Showgun32 said Ford will never release any information on these failures. They are very tight lipped and do not allow the dealerships to dig into these engines. I have an 8 year powertrain warranty and sleep like a baby at night. Buy one and get a warranty and enjoy the ride. The failure rate is hard to track down and the cause is even harder to nail down.