Rear Shock Mount Repair

OP
OP

dannyboy3461

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I plan to weld those in since there is no more bolts. So bolt the top bolts, weld the plate to the car and I should be good.
Sponsored

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
This thread is very concerning to me. I will be replacing my factory shocks with Viking inverted drag shocks soon. They will eliminate the factory aluminum upper mount thst bolts to the body and use a T-bar in itā€™s place.

I wonder if these can be bolted on and then welded in place for reinforcement to the body? Maybe even add the shock brace in the trunk?

1679514024101.png
I wouldnā€™t be worried honestly. There are many, many people running all kinds of aftermarket suspension setups on these cars and I donā€™t remember ever seeing this as an issue. I had coilovers on my previous mustang and never had any issues. You can do all those things if you want to add extra safety and reinforcement, and really make sure your suspension can take some abuse without anything coming apart, but in this case it looks like something wasnā€™t installed properly, or wasnā€™t checked to make sure nothing came loose or changed over time, or even incorrect combinations of parts could have led to increased wear and caused the issue seen.

OP
OP

dannyboy3461

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
All I can say that in my case everything installed has been stock or stock like. I never tracked the car, launched hard or anything dramatic. Itā€™s a daily driver with 180k miles and Texas city streets. If there ever was an install that failed it would have been a design failure cause all installs are stock or near stock replacements minus the drop, but again all directions were followed in the installation. I have been looking into this and there have been many instances stick mistangs have had this happen. 3 in my Houston group alone that I have talked with this week. The metal back there is weak and once it gets a little crack it will fail over time.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
All I can say that in my case everything installed has been stock or stock like. I never tracked the car, launched hard or anything dramatic. Itā€™s a daily driver with 180k miles and Texas city streets. If there ever was an install that failed it would have been a design failure cause all installs are stock or near stock replacements minus the drop, but again all directions were followed in the installation. I have been looking into this and there have been many instances stick mistangs have had this happen. 3 in my Houston group alone that I have talked with this week. The metal back there is weak and once it gets a little crack it will fail over time.
Weā€™re those other membersā€˜ cars lowered? Mine is a stick car, but itā€™s still at stock ride height.

What led to your investigation and discovery of the problem? Were your symptoms the same as what your Houston members experienced?

OP
OP

dannyboy3461

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Ya all lowered. Different setups. One guy was setup for track. Iā€™m just basic stock. But mine was found cause of a noise. I chased it down to the shock thinking the shock mount was bad. Turned out the bolts holding the shock were causing the metal to make the popping sound. And once the shock came off the nut feel out with the metal. I personally have always had issues with my rearend since day 100 of owning the car. Just figured it was the 408hp lol too much. Iā€™ve been through maybe like (no lie) 15 rear hub sets. And Iā€™ll probably need another set when this gets fixed.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

Ya all lowered. Different setups. One guy was setup for track. Iā€™m just basic stock. But mine was found cause of a noise. I chased it down to the shock thinking the shock mount was bad. Turned out the bolts holding the shock were causing the metal to make the popping sound. And once the shock came off the nut feel out with the metal. I personally have always had issues with my rearend since day 100 of owning the car. Just figured it was the 408hp lol too much. Iā€™ve been through maybe like (no lie) 15 rear hub sets. And Iā€™ll probably need another set when this gets fixed.
Thanks for that video! It definitely sheds a lot more light on this and letā€™s us know what to keep an eye out for, in terms of sights and sounds. I hope youā€˜re able to get it fixed properly.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You can't say it's stock when you're lowered that much. All the geometry changes.

With that said, I do agree it's a crappy design.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Here is how the new shocks that I have on order will look and mount like with the T-bar mount. Iā€™ll reach out to Kelly at KellTrac to see if they can be used in conjunction with the BMR shock mount for extra reinforcement of the threaded inserts and report back. It would be best to weld in the BMR mounts, but I also think bolting them in would be better than nothing, that is of course, provided they can be used with the shock.

1679530914773.jpeg

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just heard from Kelly and he said not to use anything with his inverted shock offering. He said the T-bar integrated mounts were as good as it gets. Iā€™m sure glad I reached out to him before ordering the BMR mounts.

Sponsored

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
here's the thing, that factory location isn't built to take that kind of load. its not a spring perch.
if a bumpstop is too tall it will transfer ALL of the weight of that corner into that mounting location.

that mounting location was taking the weight of the car. there's just no way it just fell apart from the factory shock and spring setup or else we'd see this failure across the board.

OP
OP

dannyboy3461

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You can't say it's stock when you're lowered that much. All the geometry changes.

With that said, I do agree it's a crappy design.
Tru but compared to some other setups I didnā€™t think I was putting that much strain on the shock mounts.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
Tru but compared to some other setups I didnā€™t think I was putting that much strain on the shock mounts.
can you catch a falling car?
can you compress a shock?

that's the difference in force you're talking about.
Sponsored