Billet rear shock mounts - advantages?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Would this improve the ride on rough roads w/aftermarket shocks or help prevent damage toncomponents over rough roads / potholes?
Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Would this improve the ride on rough roads w/aftermarket shocks or help prevent damage toncomponents over rough roads / potholes?
No, It provides more positive damper control by eliminating the rubber bushing and replacing it with a spherical bearing. Plus, eliminating bind through jounce and rebound on the damper.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your aftermarket shocks should be improving the ride and helping to prevent damage to suspension components on rough roads on account of them being better suited to control stiffer and/or lower springs.

Potholes will do the damage that they will do, especially with our smaller tire sidewalls (40 or less). I have gone through a few potholes with my 35 aspect tires on my 20" wheels and it wasn't harmful to the car, but wasn't "more smooth or less anxiety-causing" because I have stronger shock mounts. It wasn't jarring or upsetting to the car, though, because of my Pro-Action shocks.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
No, It provides more positive damper control by eliminating the rubber bushing and replacing it with a spherical bearing. Plus, eliminating bind through jounce and rebound on the damper.
Thanks Mike! That's a great explanation! Mine should arrive tomorrow. Now I'm even more excited to get these on my car!

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Putting mine on today or tomorrow to compliment my steeda non adj pro actions and bmr SP080 springs.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I just saw this thread pop up and realized I never came back here to share my experience with my Steeda Billet shock Mounts. I'm sure I did somewhere else though. I was still skeptical but after hearing from a couple others that I respect on the forum, I purchased them. Even after being a little skeptical but hopeful, I was shocked (no pun intended) at the difference. I mean really... what difference can a mount make?!

Well part of it was obvious when I opened the box. In my mind, I was going to see something much like the stock mount but it was billet and a little beefier. WRONG! I was billet, a lot beefier AND had a bearing in it. For those that understand the articulation of the suspension and can picture the radial movement the shock is going through, the benefit will be apparent. For others, if you've taken the shock off before, you see it in full droop, no weight on the suspension. If you take the top mounting bolts off first, the shock will stick out towards the wheel away from the mounting point. That angle changes under jounce or weight applied to the suspension in a radial movement rather than straight up and down. Now if you just picture holding the top of the shock vertical and pulling the bottom of it out it's obvious it would bind as you try to compress and extend the shock. Now get rid of that bind by putting a bearing at the top and allowing the shock to easily change angles through the suspension's movement and it's easier to understand why this is such a great upgrade for such a simple part.

Oh yeah... I LOVE them!

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have these on my GT350

Well worth it, allows for less binding as well.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Fitted couple of days ago with my KW clubsports!

Can feel ride quality improvement and more direct body control, an absolute must for all owners even those with stock dampers. :)

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
We're you guys able to install these by just removing the old top mount or did you have to take the whole thing off?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
We're you guys able to install these by just removing the old top mount or did you have to take the whole thing off?
Just take the old one off the shock. It's quite a bit easier if you remove the entire shock, though. That's only two more bolts.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Just take the old one off the shock. It's quite a bit easier if you remove the entire shock, though. That's only two more bolts.
You are correct much easier!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Recommend getting a 13/16 offset wrench to do this. Harbor freight has a set with one that's cheaper than most individual wrenches lol. It's about a 45 min job including getting the car up.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I just took the top off...no need to remove the bottom part. It's very easy, there's enough tool clearance.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I took the whole shock out. It's only 4 bolts holding it in, super easy and quick to remove. Plus it's much easier to work on off the car.
Sponsored