PPF questions

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
So for those folks with PPF, I'm debating doing just the front on mine due to cost. Has anyone noticed an abundance of chips in the rear front fenders, or elsewhere on the car?

It's basically an extra grand to do the lower door sills and rear front fenders, and I'm having a hard time justifying that in my head....actually I'm having a hard time with PPF at all, considering for the price of what I wanted to do (Atlas1's setup + ceramic) would be $3,500. I mean at what point should PPF cost more than repainting the car?

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
So for those folks with PPF, I'm debating doing just the front on mine due to cost. Has anyone noticed an abundance of chips in the rear front fenders, or elsewhere on the car?

It's basically an extra grand to do the lower door sills and rear front fenders, and I'm having a hard time justifying that in my head....actually I'm having a hard time with PPF at all, considering for the price of what I wanted to do (Atlas1's setup + ceramic) would be $3,500. I mean at what point should PPF cost more than repainting the car?
I would prefer to never have to deal with a repaint. How long do you plan on keeping the car? If you’re just going to trade it in a couple years from now I wouldn’t bother with any of it. Keeping it forever? PPF the shit out of it!
this isn’t going to make you feel any better but the area in front of the rear wheels is definitely an area of concern. Every gt350 I’ve seen up close tends to look pretty beat up there. It’s a consequence of the big tires.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I would prefer to never have to deal with a repaint. How long do you plan on keeping the car? If you’re just going to trade it in a couple years from now I wouldn’t bother with any of it. Keeping it forever? PPF the shit out of it!
this isn’t going to make you feel any better but the area in front of the rear wheels is definitely an area of concern. Every gt350 I’ve seen up close tends to look pretty beat up there. It’s a consequence of the big tires.
I appreciate the response! I wish I knew what I will do with the car….since I’m buying it on faith without a test drive, I can see myself trading it for a GT350 in short order, maybe trading it in a few years for a S650, or possibly keeping it forever 😂.

Probably I’ll wait till I’ve owned it for a week to PPF it, and just accept the fact that it might possibly be a little scratched by the time the detailed gets it. Such is life

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the response! I wish I knew what I will do with the car….since I’m buying it on faith without a test drive, I can see myself trading it for a GT350 in short order, maybe trading it in a few years for a S650, or possibly keeping it forever 😂.

Probably I’ll wait till I’ve owned it for a week to PPF it, and just accept the fact that it might possibly be a little scratched by the time the detailed gets it. Such is life
It was an easy decision for me because I won’t be selling. Otherwise it’s tough because it’s not a cheap project to get done.
I hate to even suggest this but are you sure you want the Mach 1? If you’re going to trade it for a gt350 it might make more sense to just get one of those rather than spend the money twice if that makes sense. I would rather see you end up in a Mach 1 though :)

Sponsored

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Is there a guide for XPel aftercare? I didn't put ceramic coating on my car so just trying to figure out how to clean the PPF most efficiently.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
It was an easy decision for me because I won’t be selling. Otherwise it’s tough because it’s not a cheap project to get done.
I hate to even suggest this but are you sure you want the Mach 1? If you’re going to trade it for a gt350 it might make more sense to just get one of those rather than spend the money twice if that makes sense. I would rather see you end up in a Mach 1 though :)
Hah. yea. I think I will like the Mach, this has just been such a shitty year(s) that I haven't been able to test drive one. Long story short is I test drove a GT350 and loved the handling, and the way the powerplant and the transmission just worked well together, but it was a 2016 salvage title the dealer was asking $60k for (lol).

So then I read all of the reviews calling the Mach a Shelby with a different engine, and figured hey, that will satisfy my itch for $10k less, a 0% APR loan, and a new car with factory warranty to boot. So I'm hopeful, but with my inability to test drive one I've turned into a crazy keyboard warrior, trying to find out everything I can.

Anyway, since I'm paying Granger prices, I'm pretty confident if I really don't like it, I can turn around and sell it for around MSRP and recoup any fees I've paid (provided I don't license it).

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500

I did the full front clip, side mirrors, and roof. I use Jager Brothers mud flaps which seem to be great at preventing road rash on the rear fenders. I’ve got 3500 miles on my GT500 and I don’t see any rash forming.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Is there a guide for XPel aftercare? I didn't put ceramic coating on my car so just trying to figure out how to clean the PPF most efficiently.
2 bucket method wash by hand. I used Optimum no rinse. I'd avoid power washing so you don't damage the film. Waffle weave towel dry. Things wipe off the PPF pretty easily.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
follow @Zelek advice. Also consider picking up some xpel ceramic boost

Hah. yea. I think I will like the Mach, this has just been such a shitty year(s) that I haven't been able to test drive one. Long story short is I test drove a GT350 and loved the handling, and the way the powerplant and the transmission just worked well together, but it was a 2016 salvage title the dealer was asking $60k for (lol).

So then I read all of the reviews calling the Mach a Shelby with a different engine, and figured hey, that will satisfy my itch for $10k less, a 0% APR loan, and a new car with factory warranty to boot. So I'm hopeful, but with my inability to test drive one I've turned into a crazy keyboard warrior, trying to find out everything I can.

Anyway, since I'm paying Granger prices, I'm pretty confident if I really don't like it, I can turn around and sell it for around MSRP and recoup any fees I've paid (provided I don't license it).
You’re going to like it I’m sure. Having a warranty is a big bonus over a used car. And with the prices used cars are bringing I personally think it’s nuts to buy something with an unknown history when new is the same price or even cheaper in some cases. The Mach 1 really is a Shelby with a coyote for all practical purposes.

Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
For long term the quality PPF is lot better than ceramics and not really more expensive, no need for ceramics on top of it when the PPF has hydrophobic ceramic layer (I think Xpel doesn't). No worry of scratches or holograms from washing, rock chips, the washing is so fast and easy. I take car cover off, drive it in a nice day, then quickly go over with fluffy microfiber to take off dust and put it clean under cover, no worry of what it could do to the paint. Only maintenance is washing and detailer/sealent with ceramics once in a while.

At least PPF on the front and lower sides and ceramics on the rest should be done as a cheaper alternative to full wrap, if you want it to keep longterm.

Repaint is not really an option. Costs a lot and the paint never has same qualities and properties. And next day you could have rock chip again...

All this really convinced me to go for it when I hesitated after order.

Last edited:

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The most important areas are the areas which your own tires impact

rocker panels/lower portion of the doors and the portion of the fender in front and behind you rear wheels. Specially if you are running a wheel/tire combo that is aggressive.

Next step is obviously the front bumper, head lights, hood, a-pillars and first 3-5 inches of the roof. If you do e.g XPEL they have an extended kit that will take care of all above mentioned areas apart from the area in front of the rear wheel (but your PPF guy/gal can print that easily)

You can treat the PPF with most consumer product with regards to sealants/ ceramic coatings best to check or do a small portion and see the result. But I would do PPF from day one if you are going that route. I have done ceramic, sealant etc on my PPFs without any issues!

Only thing to consider depending on the edge work on the PPF is
- when going over the car with pressure washer don't spray directly on the edge(specially close distance) if it is not folded around the panel
- if you are polishing tape over the edge so you don't lift the film with the pad and also preventing compound/polish to get stuck behind the film

Last edited:

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
2 bucket method wash by hand. I used Optimum no rinse. I'd avoid power washing so you don't damage the film. Waffle weave towel dry. Things wipe off the PPF pretty easily.
One of the biggest issues - I am in a parking lot with other cars. I can go to self service stations but as long as thats not every weekend otherwise I need to get creative.

I think the 2 bucket method makes a lot of sense but I am surprised you don't push any water stream on the car.

follow @Zelek advice. Also consider picking up some xpel ceramic boost
Isn't that for surfaces with ceramic coating though?

For long term the quality PPF is lot better than ceramics and not really more expensive, no need for ceramics on top of it when the PPF has hydrophobic ceramic layer (I think Xpel doesn't). No worry of scratches or holograms from washing, rock chips, the washing is so fast and easy. I take car cover off, drive it in a nice day, then quickly go over with fluffy microfiber to take off dust and put it clean under cover, no worry of what it could do to the paint. Only maintenance is detailer/sealent with ceramics once in a while.

At least PPF on the front and lower sides and ceramics on the rest should be done as a cheaper alternative to full wrap, if you want it to keep longterm.

Repaint is not really an option. Costs a lot and the paint never has same qualities and properties. And next day you could have rock chip again...

All this really convinced me to go for it when I hesitated after order.
1. Xpel apparently does not. So one thing I am considering is getting a ceramic coat on it.
2. Your note on using a car cover and cleaning with fluffy microfiber makes a lot of sense. Might want to do this myself.