Sponsored

Poll: Cosmetic vs Performance

I have some expendable funds and I can't decide between cosmetic changes vs performance upgrade

• Total voters

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the aftermarket tunes are THAT much better. The car will drive better, shift better, have more power through the entire RPM range.

And if you get a tune from a specific person at a tuning company, and that person leaves, the company will still take care of you. Each company pretty much has their base file for certain mods, and any tuner from that company can make adjustments and read logs.
Better doesn't necessarily mean the most peak hp. I believe we are going to have to agree to disagree on this sir!
Sponsored

cchvyd28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Better doesn't necessarily mean the most peak hp. I believe we are going to have to agree to disagree on this sir!
A tune from Ford is going to be more conservative on many factors, IE timing, shift firmness and pressure, rpm limit etc. It has to be to be easier on the components of the car to keep the warranty intact. Not saying that aftermarket tunes are dangerous, just saying Ford stays on the side of caution where other tuners will push a bit more. So in that case, if your car is getting more timing, at a higher rpm, yes the peak hp will be higher. Not to mention the much improved shift schedule and feel and overall driveability improvement.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If it was me, I'd do what I've done........of course.

CAI & tune (don't let folks scare you about the warranty, that's a bunch of hooey), then suspension.

Trust me when I tell you, a properly sorted suspension is.......amazing. And 30HP more, with a massively improved throttle response, is very entertaining.

FWIW, when your suspension is sorted, the car is........almost boring. It's just not as exciting as when the stock suspension feels like it's threatening to toss you into a ditch at a moments notice. The car becomes stable, planted, the ride is better, harshness is gone, and it even made my transmission shift better.

And dear God skip that rear wing. These cars (especially in your color) look so elegant and sleek without it. And their only use is to mess with your rearward visibility.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
A tune from Ford is going to be more conservative on many factors, IE timing, shift firmness and pressure, rpm limit etc. It has to be to be easier on the components of the car to keep the warranty intact. Not saying that aftermarket tunes are dangerous, just saying Ford stays on the side of caution where other tuners will push a bit more. So in that case, if your car is getting more timing, at a higher rpm, yes the peak hp will be higher. Not to mention the much improved shift schedule and feel and overall driveability improvement.
I agree a good aftermarket tune should out perform a pp2 tune but I have raced to many cars at the track to say that is the case. Yes, I have alot of suspension work that helps me in the 60 ft but on stock suspension I was still running 115 mph in the 1/4 mid. I seen guys with aftermarket tunes only running 112-114 and even a guy with long tubes trapping only 115. With that said I have seen some tuned cars running faster but with long tubes and or on E85. I not referring to seeing on YouTube but in person at the track the same day I was running.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Performance mods are great if you are into track racing, but the first rule of racing is you are not doing it right if you don't break something. For those of us that want a daily driver, mild mods are acceptable. A car, especially a Mustang is a canvas to express one's vision. And no one should buy a Mustang to leave it a blank canvas. That is what Camaros are for.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
For me it's cosmetic. First thing I did was tint the windows, and buy a nicer set of R350 wheels. The car has plenty of performance for me. About the only performance part I bought so far is a direct replacement AEM dry air filter to replace the paper OEM filter...not much of a mod though.

Oh, and an NRA sticker on the back window.

Tbird232ci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I chose cosmetic.

If I could start all over with cars in general, I would have much rather spent my money doing track days and driving classes. Drivers mod is the best investment in my opinion.

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
Sorry I haven't checked back sooner. Been out pushing the wife aroumd in Royal Crimson w/BAP wheelchair Christmas shopping.

Looks like ..the overwhelming consensus is performance. I spoke with a local dealer yesterday. He did instill a sense of confidence when I asked about them doing the PP2 install. Going to try another dealer tomorrow.

As for my exhaust issue, I don't want LTH. A cat-back or axle back is going to be choice. Trying to find one that isn't super loud, just a bump or two above stock is fine for me.

Thanks to all for the valuable input.
I, too, upgraded my exhaust by installing the Corsa Sport axle-backs. Expensive? Yes. Sound? Glorious!

Perfect amount of loudness and just sounds so good. It really is intoxicating. And the bonus, zero drone.

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
As good as my suspension is, I love my exhaust and what it adds to the driving experience just as much.
After installing my Corsas, I spent well over 2 hours driving the car just to hear that exhaust. It is crazy good!!!

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Well, I've tried a couple of different Ford dealers, one isn't sure about the PP2 install (they haven't done one in a long time and aren't sure if they'll do it if I bring in the parts), and the other will install the parts but won't install the tune. I'm going to give one or two more a shot.

Anyone in the KC area know of a dealer or an ASE shop that does tunes?

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Don't worry TJ, you'll be one of the first guys I hit up the day after Christmas!

Bjstang, the 2 Ford dealers I tried are both big dealers in the greater Kansas City area. There are a couple more I'm going try. After that, may look for a tuner shop. Only problem with those, the few around KC aren't open on Saturday! Makes it kind of tough to get a read on them.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Not sure how far away Wichita is from you but there is a Ford Performance dealer there.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Not sure how far away Wichita is from you but there is a Ford Performance dealer there.
That's about a 3 hour drive. Might be able to make it a weekend getaway
Sponsored