honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
for those that didn't drop the pan fully, did yall use a new gasket and sealant or just bolted it back up?
You can reuse the oil pan gaskets, but look carefully. I ended up ripping mine when I changed some timing components out and had a leak that was a nightmare to locate. IMHO, replace. Not worth the headache. Whatever you do, REPLACE the oil pump gasket/seal. If this fails on you, your motor will burn up.

Did you reuse the timing cover gasket as well?
Mine was re-usable, but they're cheap. Recommend having spares just in case.

Does the oil pump housing have any gasket or it just gets bolted together?
Just bolts back together. Torque was 80 in/lbs if I recall correctly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Do all the pan bolts need to come out or just the front ones in the timing cover? Looking at the picture it kind of looks like the pump can be rotated clockwise to get it off the pickup then pulled off the crank? Can anyone confirm? B and D may be studs so this may not be possible.

upload_2019-8-12_17-49-59.png

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Do all the pan bolts need to come out or just the front ones in the timing cover? Looking at the picture it kind of looks like the pump can be rotated clockwise to get it off the pickup then pulled off the crank? Can anyone confirm? B and D may be studs so this may not be possible.

upload_2019-8-12_17-49-59.png
Just the front ones. 4 in total from memory.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You sure? How'd you get around the pickup? Did you rotate it?
For a 15-17, yes, for sure.
I don’t recall how I got the pump off but there was no trick to it. The two bolts holding the pickup to the pump are the PITA.
I used some tie wire, wrapped around the bolt to help steer it back in on install.
You’ll see what I mean when you get to it.

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
For a 15-17, yes, for sure.
I don’t recall how I got the pump off but there was no trick to it. The two bolts holding the pickup to the pump are the PITA.
I used some tie wire, wrapped around the bolt to help steer it back in on install.
You’ll see what I mean when you get to it.
Wrong car buddy, the GT350 have integrated pickups. No 2 bolts. So do 18-19 GTs

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Wrong car buddy, the GT350 have integrated pickups. No 2 bolts. So do 18-19 GTs
Shit. I couldn’t see the specifics on my phone :crazy:

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I think I'm going to attempt this myself guys. Plan is to drop the pan and leave the k member in place. As long as I am able to clean up the mating surface of old RTV it shouldn't be an issue using the old gaskets with only 3k miles on the car.

Are all the pan bolts easily accessible with the belly pan off? How much coolant do we lose in this process?

Sponsored

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I just talked to boundary they said you can get the pump without dropping the pan. You just slightly undo a couple bolts on the pan and bend it down and pump should pop out. I am waiting on some parts and backup gaskets in case i put a knick in one. I will let yall know how it goes.

If anyone has any thoughts on any upgrades while Im digging in anyways, let me know. I was thinking of doing the MMR tensioners and secondary chains. Thoughts anyone?

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Having done this my self I see no way of not dropping the pan. The oil pump goes into the pan pick-up tube to far. dropping the pan is not that hard.

Deca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Lift required? Or would my race ramps give sufficient room?

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg. 18 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 16 Lexus IS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
I just talked to boundary they said you can get the pump without dropping the pan. You just slightly undo a couple bolts on the pan and bend it down and pump should pop out. I am waiting on some parts and backup gaskets in case i put a knick in one. I will let yall know how it goes.

If anyone has any thoughts on any upgrades while Im digging in anyways, let me know. I was thinking of doing the MMR tensioners and secondary chains. Thoughts anyone?
Your going the same route I am MMR Tensioners Brackets Secondary Chains New ARP Bolts!! Might as well while your in there. Are you thinking of boosting? If so what route are you going?