OPG Install Tips

Paperdude2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350, 2018 Range Rover
I have my belly pan off about to tear into it. I'm not seeing how you guys are getting to some of the front pan bolts without moving the steering rack or raising the motor. You guys all been able to do this without moving the subframe, rack, or motor?
I had to raise motor 2 inches and drop front k-member about 4 inches after that it was a breeze.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Has there been evidence yet that breaking OPG's have been a primary cause (not association or sequela) in any engine/oiling failures? The long camshafts for I6 and V12 engines will also easily break if dropped on concrete, but that doesn't mean they're causing engine failures.
No there hasn't.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
OPG failures are the common cause of engine failures on coyotes/vooodoos with FI especially, but it's also a common cause of failure in many many other vehicles with highly modified engines. OPG failures means instantly no oiling and metal bits going around your engine. Not good.
I understand but am asking a slightly different question. I'm asking whether we have evidence of OPG's fracturing on their own without any other issues present at the time. For example, if a small piece of metal or some shavings come off the rotating assembly, drop into the oil pan, are picked up, and sent through the OPG, thus causing the OPG to fracture and starve the engine, then the OPG is not the primary failure mode, it's a sequela. For the OPG to be the origin of the engine failure, it would imply that everything else is running fun, and the gear in the OPG just says "you know what guys, today's the day I crack." I'm not denying it's happened, or denying the OPG could be a weak point in the engine; I'm simply asking if we have evidence of the OPG being a failure origin.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
...I'm simply asking if we have evidence of the OPG being a failure origin.
So the challenge on this is that Ford has been very careful to gather up all the broken engines and get them back to Ford without a tear-down. So, there's lack of evidence, but we don't know if it's because the OPG's aren't failing, or if Ford has grabbed the evidence before anyone got a look.

I read an interesting article about crank dampers a couple of months back. The premise of the article was that OPG's aren't inherently weak and when they fail on boosted engines, it's because the crankshaft damper doesn't provide adequate crank damping to cope with the increased crank loads. This allows the crank to whip and twist enough to shatter the OPG's. I can't vouch for the theory because it's not my area of expertise, but it sounds plausible.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I understand but am asking a slightly different question. I'm asking whether we have evidence of OPG's fracturing on their own without any other issues present at the time. For example, if a small piece of metal or some shavings come off the rotating assembly, drop into the oil pan, are picked up, and sent through the OPG, thus causing the OPG to fracture and starve the engine, then the OPG is not the primary failure mode, it's a sequela. For the OPG to be the origin of the engine failure, it would imply that everything else is running fun, and the gear in the OPG just says "you know what guys, today's the day I crack." I'm not denying it's happened, or denying the OPG could be a weak point in the engine; I'm simply asking if we have evidence of the OPG being a failure origin.
At this point it is all conjecture based on my reading there have not been many OPG failures. Some people revving too high while the oil is cold seemed to have caused failures. But it's hard to say if your engine fails because the OPG fails or your engine fails and then the OPG breaks.

My layman's pov is the OPG is fine if you are out of warranty maybe then upgrade

Last edited:

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg. 18 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 16 Lexus IS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
I have my belly pan off about to tear into it. I'm not seeing how you guys are getting to some of the front pan bolts without moving the steering rack or raising the motor. You guys all been able to do this without moving the subframe, rack, or motor?

I did mine without lowering the subframe, Jaking motor or removing/moving the rack its possible.
Sponsored