New owner - engine failure

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hopefully its just one of the TSB memos.
Sponsored

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door
I got the wrench code at a track day recently. Car went into limp mode. It finally stayed in limp mode and I had to get a tow out. Turns out mine was electrical but throttle related. I have a blip module installed and the harness had a pin issue. The tech was able to plug in the factory throttle harness and it was back to normal. He tested power through the aftermarket harness and found it was not completing the cricut as needed.

I know you don't have a blip module, but the exact same issue was happening. Wrench, check manual, would reset w/ no codes until it finally would not reset on restart. Might be something for them to check. Good luck and enjoy the new ride.

OP
OP

Nick@VaBeach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
SS 1LE
I got the wrench code at a track day recently. Car went into limp mode. It finally stayed in limp mode and I had to get a tow out. Turns out mine was electrical but throttle related. I have a blip module installed and the harness had a pin issue. The tech was able to plug in the factory throttle harness and it was back to normal. He tested power through the aftermarket harness and found it was not completing the cricut as needed.

I know you don't have a blip module, but the exact same issue was happening. Wrench, check manual, would reset w/ no codes until it finally would not reset on restart. Might be something for them to check. Good luck and enjoy the new ride.
I'll mention it to them. Thanks for the info. I'd love it if this turned out to be a tuning ring or just an electrical gremlin rather than an engine replacement. Chomping at the bit to get the car back but still no answer about what's wrong with it.

OP
OP

Nick@VaBeach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
SS 1LE
Well, picked the car up last week. Service department gave me virtually no details about what they did to the car, but they claimed that the entire issue was related to the alternator. I was skeptical, but picked the car up and asked that a detailed explnation be provided. The service manager wrote me the next day and provided about 20% of the information I was hoping for.

Long story short, the alternator did nothing to fix the problem. If anything, the car is running worse. Same weird surging/missing at light throttle, surging at light throttle mid-high rpms makes the whole car buck. Engine increases RPMs on the upshifts from 4-5 and 5-6. Engine is down on power and won't run to redline.

She's headed back to the dealership later today. Just have to decide whether to go to the same dealership or a different one.

Thanks again for the input guys. I mentioned the tone ring TSB again in my email to the service manager this morning, maybe they'll check it this time.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Print out the actual tone ring TSB and hand it to them. If they won’t fix it call Ford and tell them you want a buyback

Sponsored

OP
OP

Nick@VaBeach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
SS 1LE
Print out the actual tone ring TSB and hand it to them. If they won’t fix it call Ford and tell them you want a buyback
Good idea, I'll leave a copy on the passenger seat when I drop it off haha.

Luckily, I finally have emails for the managers at the dealership I bought it from, the dealership that's doing the service, and a Ford rep and I emailed the entire group about the issue. I kinda feel bad for the local dealership in a way because they had nothing to do with how the problem arose and I'm sure they're trying to fix it, I just want more details about what they're doing to my car... this is the coolest (and most expensive) car I've ever owned and so far they've driven it more than I have.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Well, picked the car up last week. Service department gave me virtually no details about what they did to the car, but they claimed that the entire issue was related to the alternator. I was skeptical, but picked the car up and asked that a detailed explnation be provided. The service manager wrote me the next day and provided about 20% of the information I was hoping for.

Long story short, the alternator did nothing to fix the problem. If anything, the car is running worse. Same weird surging/missing at light throttle, surging at light throttle mid-high rpms makes the whole car buck. Engine increases RPMs on the upshifts from 4-5 and 5-6. Engine is down on power and won't run to redline.

She's headed back to the dealership later today. Just have to decide whether to go to the same dealership or a different one.

Thanks again for the input guys. I mentioned the tone ring TSB again in my email to the service manager this morning, maybe they'll check it this time.
I would go back to same dealership.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I’d print it off and hand it to the service manager. It’s what I had to do to get the rear cylinder block plate replaced.

JUNQDAWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILL
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT 5.0 10 SPEED
Hate to hear that . Although I must admit I'm not the least bit surprised . Did the Alt. look new ? . Or did they lie and say they fixed it ? yeah, right !
I think the previous poster {the BUY-BACK scenario } would be best for you if you can pull it off without a lawyer .

I think Ford is running low on $$$$, putting all their eggs except a "FEW" into Electric CRAP. Watched a F-150 EV TV ad today and had to go PUKE when they opened the HOOD and pulled out suit cases and a cooler . It's IMMORAL !!! I think just like their "AUTO SALVAGE venture back in 1999 that went belly-up , This ALL Electric is going to bite them in the ass .

Just my opinion , I'm sure there are others that think differently .
junqdawg

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nick@VaBeach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
SS 1LE
Damn man. Did they not test drive after the repair?
They drove the car about 150 miles... not sure when. Guess they didn't notice all the issues. A real simple one is that cruise control doesn't work. Guessing that's because the engine is surging/ missfiring enough to knock it off even when you can get it set. Should be a red flag.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
150 miles? holy shit - I would not be taking the car any where near that dealer again

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
They drove the car about 150 miles... not sure when. Guess they didn't notice all the issues. A real simple one is that cruise control doesn't work. Guessing that's because the engine is surging/ missfiring enough to knock it off even when you can get it set. Should be a red flag.
wow that`s a lot of miles to test. Can`t believe they didn`t find anything.

OP
OP

Nick@VaBeach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
SS 1LE
So I questioned the dealer about the mileage. The response was that the problem only became apparent after about 20 mins of driving, so they would take the car for 20-40 min drives when running diagnostics. Not sure if they took one of these rides after they changed the alternator, but I'd guess they did not since the problem popped right back up. I think I can feel the problem sooner, but it does get worse after 20-30 mins of driving, and take closer to an hour to throw a wrench.

I'm not really happy that they've driven my car more than I have, but it is what it is. We'll see if they find out what's wrong this time. I considered going to a different dealership, but I think delays from starting from scratch would be just as bad as what I've already dealt with. At least this dealership has to own their work at this point.

I didn't look at the alternator to see if it was new, may do that... I asked them to change the air filter because it looked a little grimey and they had the car anyway. They said they would, and charged me for one, but didn't actually change it so now that you mention it I'll probably poke my head in under the hood to take a look. Figured that if all they really did for three weeks was drive it and change the alternator they would've done at least that much.
Sponsored