Sponsored

New Embargo'd Aero/Cooling Info- Released today.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Who's running low tens? Demon does not count as that's a one trick pony designed to do one thing. Neither the hellcat nor the ZL1 are running low tens stock
10s aren’t that special anymore when you have guys with bolt one gen 3 cars running them without issue. The GT500 should of came out 2 years ago. We shall see
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
10s aren’t that special anymore when you have guys with bolt one gen 3 cars running them without issue. The GT500 should of came out 2 years ago. We shall see
Never said it was

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Unless they know something I don't, they are talking out of their ass. Nowhere in this press release did Ford acknowledge that 180 was governed- Plus they misquoted the press release in regards to downforce so theres that. :crazy:
They didn't even say that 180 mph was the top speed. I do expect the track version with all the aero to have a reduced top speed compared to the version without the wing, though.

SUPRDUDE7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Red Fire GT Shaker 1000
10's aren't that special anymore?? since when?? What cars in this sector run low 10s from the factory? Hell, in any sector?? The McLaren 720s runs low 10s and thats a supercar

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Just confirmed with my contact at Ford- the 180 number is legit. :facepalm:
Top speed is really more of a bragging rights number than a true indicator of a cars overall performance. With that said you'd think Ford Performance would want to beat the 13-14 GT500 in every way including top speed.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
10's aren't that special anymore?? since when?? What cars in this sector run low 10s from the factory? Hell, in any sector?? The McLaren 720s runs low 10s and thats a supercar
720s is in the 9's all day stock with a good driver.

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Big LOLZ at people bitching about the 180mph top speed. Unless you're doing 1/2 mile track attack events which are far and few between, it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will ever come close to that speed to begin with. As another person said, top speed is all about bragging rights. Doing those kinds of speeds on public roads is just asking for all kinds of trouble (a few of them being: jail time, losing your car, and even death). And as mentioned even by Ford, it would be embarrassing to state that it could reach 200mph+ even if it weren't really possible, which is what they experienced with the top speed claims involving the 2013/14 Gt500. 0-60 is really what counts these days (or even 0-100). Furthermore, "governed" doesn't mean that 180mph is in fact the top speed! It just means that's how it will come stock. Who knows, maybe someone will be able to pass that mark once a custom tune has been implemented to remove the governor. Time will tell.

Also, the wind-tunnel images make me question yet again why the fender vents that seemed to have been originally included in early prototypes aren't apart of the final car? It does seem like the air exiting near the front wheel base appears to be a bit turbulent, and I would assume (by no means an expert) that having fender vents would aid this issue. The Gt350 has them, so not quite sure why they chose not to have any on the GT500 (from a performance point of view, not necessarily esthetics or looks).

Last edited:

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Who's running low tens? Demon does not count as that's a one trick pony designed to do one thing. Neither the hellcat nor the ZL1 are running low tens stock
Plenty of videos out there that show otherwise.

Nice to see the 5.2 in production.........

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Here's an observation. At Daytona 2018, there was a FP350S that wound up bending the rear deck lid due to the downforce that the wing produced. Maybe limiting the top end speed has something to do with this?

Face it, you have to dumb it down to the lowest common denominator. Think about the warranty claims....

Maybe there will be a speed limiter work around without voiding the warranty.

Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Here's an observation. At Daytona 2018, there was a FP350S that wound up bending the rear deck lid due to the downforce that the wing produced. Maybe limiting the top end speed has something to do with this?

Face it, you have to dumb it down to the lowest common denominator. Think about the warranty claims....

Maybe there will be a speed limiter work around without voiding the warranty.
Interesting because the FP350S and GT4 has deck lid reinforcements.
Where did it bend at exactly? At the deck lids skin where it mounts on the surface or elsewhere?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I believe it was John Straus' car. I was told that and didn't see it in person.

It just had me thinking as to why Ford would limit the top end speed. The faster you go, the more lift a wing produces. Maybe 180 is the Vmo of the GT500 (barber pole of airplanes)?

I can see no other reason why Ford would do such a thing. Unless it came down to the lawyers and some form of product liability.... or insurability and associated costs?

I don't know, but I never saw this one coming.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
So the CF Track package wing can add up to 550 pounds of rear downforce at 180mph. The ZL1 1LE rear wing is said to have 300 pounds of downforce at 150mph. I wonder what the number for the 1LE would be at the 180mph figure...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Track focused may be the excuse, but I am really shocked to hear of this limitation. Sure, you could rationalize it and say that speeds above 180 are not necessary, but this is a GT500 that has the power plant and associated systems to go faster.

Agreed that most tracks are not as fast as wide open courses like Daytona or VIR, but top end speed is still a metric that will be looked at. Unless there is a very good reason..... wow.

Get up and go, get me as quickly as possible to top end speed and give me the ability to slow down to make the next turn. That's what the GT500 was supposed to be. Life is full of limitations I guess

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT / 1970 Mach 1 (Twin Turbo Coyote)
I used to own a GT500 and the first thing everyone does is pulley, CAI, and tune it That said, I'm not sure that the 180mph limit is that big of a deal, since any aftermarket tune is going to remove that limit anyway.
Sponsored