Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Not that hard to believe - remember that the GT500 was a Shelby adventure, not a mainstream Ford. And while it is certainly significant to the Mustang history, it isn't as significant as the original GT350 was (recall, that was commissioned by Ford), and likely wouldn't have the same motivation to commemorate. Frankly, in the next year or two, there are a lot of potential 50th anniversaries coming up. Ford can't possibly hit - or even address - them all.

I'd really doubt, as I've been saying, that anything GT500 related will come to market prior to the mid-cycle refresh. At the end of the day, the Special Edition models are used to keep the line up fresh and keep people talking about the car (and coming into dealers!) as the base model starts to age. There's no need for that at the same time as a refresh. Like Twin Turbo said, there really isn't any concrete evidence that a GT500 is even a thing, just well-accepted internet rumor. Any mule vehicles we may see could be anything - we all know by now that mules are too hacked up to get a real read from.
Sponsored

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
remember that the GT500 was a Shelby adventure, not a mainstream Ford. And while it is certainly significant to the Mustang history, it isn't as significant as the original GT350 was (recall, that was commissioned by Ford)
I'd love to learn more about that. Can anyone fill this in a bit more? I know that Ford instigated the GT350 (they wanted to avoid the perception of the Mustang as just a pretty "secretary's car") but that also was near and dear to Shelby's heart -- as a road course guy he loved light, raw, and fast.

I always figured the GT500 was a Ford Marketing product -- I heard that Shelby didn't like that the later GT350's got softer and heavier, I just assumed he didn't care for the GT500. So I'm surprised that the GT500 was his idea!

Like Twin Turbo said, there really isn't any concrete evidence that a GT500 is even a thing, just well-accepted internet rumor.
It's depressing to be reminded of that. I want to scale down from my Hellcat and the ZL1 is looking to be the logical choice just based on its expected performance. But I really can't say I'm a fan of the car's looks. Ford, you gotta do a GT500! Make it happen! :hail:

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
After doing some more research it seems only logical answer I could come up with was with a AWD system powered by a v6 twin turbo power plant. If you look at fords all new performance vehicles; Ford F-150 Raptor v6 twin turbo, Ford GT twin turbo v6 as well. I think Ford always likes to take the lead in the things and is tired of competing with only the Camaro and Challenger. If they want to be king of the road again a the v6 twin turbo AWD setup would be their key on to taking not only the Camaro and challenger but list of other sports cars... Especially the GTR.... Ford won't release anything until the GT350 runs out of steam which should be within a year or so. Ford and Chevy have worked together on the 10speed auto that's in the Camaro. I think that will be a big selling point in it as well. A car that launches extremely fast, handles well, and is able to take on exotics in the circuit as well. At least that's my thoughts on it.

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Well, I know that Hummingbird is still used internally to refer to the GT350 models in an ongoing basis; its sort of habit to call it that. What they'll call its replacement is anyone's guess. Its funny, if we look back at some recent vehicle code names:

Condor
Terminator
Raptor (leaked before vehicle was named and stuck)
Petunia
Hummingbird

It could be that Hummingbird was reference to the lighter version of the chassis, but its still no lightweight. And that doesn't explain Petunia. Who knows where they come up with these things? Obviously, someone has a sense of humor...
Don't forget Road Runner/747

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
I'd love to learn more about that. Can anyone fill this in a bit more? I know that Ford instigated the GT350 (they wanted to avoid the perception of the Mustang as just a pretty "secretary's car") but that also was near and dear to Shelby's heart -- as a road course guy he loved light, raw, and fast.

I always figured the GT500 was a Ford Marketing product -- I heard that Shelby didn't like that the later GT350's got softer and heavier, I just assumed he didn't care for the GT500. So I'm surprised that the GT500 was his idea!

It's depressing to be reminded of that. I want to scale down from my Hellcat and the ZL1 is looking to be the logical choice just based on its expected performance. But I really can't say I'm a fan of the car's looks. Ford, you gotta do a GT500! Make it happen! :hail:
Shelby hated the idea of the GT350, he didn't really want anything to do with the Mustang not to mention he already had his hands full with the GT40's. Lee Iaccoca convinced him to do it so he did. The GT500 was very much of a why not car. Shelby took the what was essentially the 427 out of the GT40's and put it in a Mustang, pretty much as simple as that. in 67 though Shelby's hands were very much full with the GT40 program and Ford got involved and turned the cars more towards what customers would want instead of what the cars were.

Sponsored

hated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 gt500
Don't think a gt500 is actually going to happen. Just speculation at this point, no solid proof. Although I hope I am wrong!

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
I think that its a safe bet that the Shelby will get updated at some point, just to continue the back-and-forth leaping frogging of competition that always goes on. A new Z/28 will show up, causing Ford to counter, etc. What we don't know is 1) when, and 2) what it'll be called. It could be an evolved GT350, a GT500, or maybe even something new. But there will be something in that segment that keeps Ford competitive.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Im still thinking it wont be a GT500. A couple of reasons for that. When the 350 came out, many within Ford did not want to use the Shelby name anymore. Its also been reported that Mark Fields said there would not be two Shelby models on the market going forward. Lastly, if they go the 6 cyl route, GT500 does not fit the car. All speculation on my part. I do believe the Mach 1 will return and I believe you will see the King Cobra name come back. We will know when it happens

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Im still thinking it wont be a GT500. A couple of reasons for that. When the 350 came out, many within Ford did not want to use the Shelby name anymore. Its also been reported that Mark Fields said there would not be two Shelby models on the market going forward. Lastly, if they go the 6 cyl route, GT500 does not fit the car. All speculation on my part. I do believe the Mach 1 will return and I believe you will see the King Cobra name come back. We will know when it happens
Thanks! Interesting thoughts.

My dealer said something about "Boss 429", which I'm not sure how that name could come back, unless it was a 4.29 L TT V8. I like the Boss 429 name a lot better than King Cobra, but King Cobra could be appropriate if they one up the GT350.

Sponsored

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Thanks! Interesting thoughts.

My dealer said something about "Boss 429", which I'm not sure how that name could come back, unless it was a 4.29 L TT V8. I like the Boss 429 name a lot better than King Cobra, but King Cobra could be appropriate if they one up the GT350.
I like that ideas 4.29LT TT v8 maybe with FPC AT10sp

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Hmmm, so "GT500" is limited to a v8?... That makes no sense. The GT350 moniker was derived from a walk... The 500? It surely wasn't because it was rated at 500ci or 500hp. It is just a label signifying the premier street King.

The TTV6 platform would serve the 500 well. The GT-R makes do with a V6 and it's a beast. There's a reason the new GT has a v6 and if there was any car Ford should've out a FPC in, it was the new GT but it has turned out to be an ecobeast engine in there.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hmmm, so "GT500" is limited to a v8?... That makes no sense. The GT350 moniker was derived from a walk... The 500? It surely wasn't because it was rated at 500ci or 500hp. It is just a label signifying the premier street King.

The TTV6 platform would serve the 500 well. The GT-R makes do with a V6 and it's a beast. There's a reason the new GT has a v6 and if there was any car Ford should've out a FPC in, it was the new GT but it has turned out to be an ecobeast engine in there.
I think the GT has a 6 in it because the 6 was a known quantity from the Daytona Prototype racing Ford has been doing. I think Ford really wants to do well with it at Le Mans, so actual performance was top priority.

Versus the GT500, where a HP number might be the top priority rather than actual performance. I also think the Ford GT will sell due to low numbers and perceived collectability, whereas the GT500 might not do so well with a V6. I certainly am less interested in a muscle car with a 6 cylinder in it. It will be interesting to see how the new Raptor does. That will probably be a good predictor of how V6 engines will sell in higher performance "image" vehicles.

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
The problem with a V6 GT500 is the ZL1. If I have to choose between a body style I love with a turbo V6 and a body style I'm lukewarm about with a supercharged V8, I'm taking the V8. Even just cruising around at mild throttle openings you can open the dual mode exhaust in the ZL1 and treat yourself to a symphony.

Have you heard the Ford GT? If you like loud fart noises, it's the one for you. But if you're looking for an awesome sounding engine, look elsewhere.

Well, I guess the hidden blessing here is that if they do go the V6 route, it'll make my buying decision very easy...

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Let's see... Ride in a ZL1 that sounds good while trying to see the tail lights of the GT500 and Hellcat that just obliterated you... Yeah, makes sense.

A TTV6 GT500 would sell... Don't worry bout that.

As for sound... If sound and two cylinders are the only reasons you wish to take a ZL1 over a TTV6 GT500, then I don't think there's much to tell you.

Anyone remember the GNX? Hmmmmmm...
Sponsored