Sponsored

New 6.8 v8

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Agreed that IF the 6.8 makes it into a Mustang, it will be some special edition that the majority of us will not be able to afford. Have you seen how expensive the trucks are getting? The 2021 Limited F150 starts at just over $70k!!! That is bananas.

Also, the Essex engine plant is entirely dedicated to making the coyote and I doubt Ford with close that or repurpose/retool it anytime soon.
Sponsored

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
So still no more proof than what Dias said.

To be fair, I could see Ford using a paid for architecture that's cheaper to build to replace the somewhat complex 5.0. Even if it doesn't end up making that much more power.
For sure.... Like a de-stroked Godzilla.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If it happens, it'd obviously be a pushrod, which wouldn't be attractive to me at all, even if it makes more power than the Coyote. But to each his own. Ford is the only domestic automaker making a more expensive DOHC V8. And the only good news is if it's made of aluminum (like GM LS/LT engines), it should weight the same or less than a Coyote. And of course cost less, which is the main motivation to make it in the first place.

The other option is that Ford will use that engine in the F-150 (which makes a lot more sense than a DOHC one), and the Coyote in the Mustang, at least in the mean time. I don't see Ford continuing production of the Coyote for too long, especially with a democratic administration, but we'll see.

Sponsored

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
I’d rather them just keep perfecting the coyote. The rev happy nature of the V8 gives it way more theatre than the competition.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Many seem to forget that a modern pushrod is typically physically smaller than any OHC-based engine (cubes doesn't necessarily mean externally larger) therefore packages easier. If Ford is implementing hybridization a de-stroked/ all alloy 7.3L (6.8L) would physically be smaller, lighter, package better, address hood clearance/ oil pan clearance issue that the 7.3L truck unit has for car applications and leave plenty of room for the hybrid equipment. This could easily become the upscale hybrid V8, 5.0 Coyote the intermediate non-hybrid V8, and leave the 2.3L as base like normal.

The Coyote is a wide engine and I can see taking an educated guess that this 6.8L could be the engine that utilizes the hybrid tech for easier packaging. Also with trucks being the bread and butter of Ford it is cheaper to produce this alongside the truck engines on the assembly line versus a screamer OHC style engine specific only to low volume sports cars. This would easily address the "how is Ford implementing a 6.8L engine in the time of downsizing?" questions. It technically is "downsizing" or concatenating by having stronger economies of scale by sharing more tooling with the truck stuff and appeasing CAFE standards utilizing hybridization. This is just a hypothesis.

Last edited:

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
all i know is if they put a 6.8L in a mustang GT it better spin to 7500-8000rpm or its Junk !!!i had a 16 A8 camaro SS that ran good but it hit the wall @ 6100 rpm and my hellcat allthough fast it too only pulls to 6k .My 18 A10 PP Mustang is what I ditched the camaro for and let me say for the small torque difference VS the high rpm HP and 10 speed are just Awsome and what make this car so much fun and its best characteristic i hope they dont loose that ..

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
Everyone is moving towards an electric/hybrid platform. No way this gets mass produced for what, 500-520HP max? Cost/benefit doesn't seem to be there.
Not going to happen since that's the setup in the Ford GT.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
all i know is if they put a 6.8L in a mustang GT it better spin to 7500-8000rpm or its Junk !
You actually think Ford who can't get simple stuff right is going to pull off an engine the requires paying attention and ENFORCING quality standards from the suppliers? ROTFL!

You can have torque or you can have high'ish revving HP. Pick one.

Supercar tech always trickles down eventually.
The tech might, in the abstract. What doesn't trickle down is the supplier and quality controls. Ford is littered with FAIL on those counts.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
You actually think Ford who can't get simple stuff right is going to pull off an engine the requires paying attention and ENFORCING quality standards from the suppliers? ROTFL!

You can have torque or you can have high'ish revving HP. Pick one.

The tech might, in the abstract. What doesn't trickle down is the supplier and quality controls. Ford is littered with FAIL on those counts.
judging from current situation

they will probably only do enough to keep up or be a little better than the challenger and camaro
camaro apparently has no plans to be made starting 2023..so that just leaves the challenger
mustang already seemingly going to be challenger sized..with maybe a 6.8 v8
so maybe a war between 2 torquey, big muscle cars? i dont see it being high revving either, sadly.

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT

Ford is littered with FAIL on those counts.
salty

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I could see the 6.8 liter V8 spin to 7200 RPM. That would be good enough.
Didn’t the 427 SOHC Ford developed in the 60’s make power all the way to 7k rpm? And that was 616-carbureted hp @ 7k rpm. I don’t see why a modern day can’t do the same or better.

The question is weight and costs, and how to balance the two.
Sponsored