Sponsored

The new 7.3 V8 fits in the Mustang......

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I had heard or read somewhere that 4 valve engine tend to like smaller bores, they are a lot more efficient, whereas two valve setups like larger bores, the larger the better. If that is true, you will never see a large bore coyote. And that would explain why all modular based engines have roughly the same small bore size of around 3.65" to 3.70"
Sponsored

Last edited:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t understand why all of you so excited about the idea of a 6.8 liter pushrod v8 mustang don’t already own challenger srt392’s.
Coming from driving a lot of Hondas, a Mustang was big enough, let alone the piggy Challenger. For me it's just old school dreaming. A big displacement single cam has a sound you can't duplicate.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Coming from driving a lot of Hondas, a Mustang was big enough, let alone the piggy Challenger. For me it's just old school dreaming. A big displacement single cam has a sound you can't duplicate.
Ok, Camaro SS then....same weight as mustang or less, 6.2 liters of pushrod v8 then...

The point is, what all you 7.3 enthusiasts claim to want already exists...just not in the mustang.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, Camaro SS then....same weight as mustang or less, 6.2 liters of pushrod v8 then...

The point is, what all you 7.3 enthusiasts claim to want already exists...just not in the mustang.
i wanted to like the Camaro. Drove a couple. I just did not like the ergonomics or the looks at all. To me they have no style. I’m over the moon happy with the Mustang.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I still don’t see Ford using this engine in the next gen mustang. It’s backwards thinking, I’m not saying the 7.3 or some variant wouldn’t be awesome. But all these years of working with OHC and let’s just put in this pushrod engine. Doesn’t make a lot of sense unless they have other motives. Like the 5.0 not passing emissions, not hitting performance targets, or not working with the hybrid system

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
S650 is supposed to share the Explorer chassis thats already for a twin turbo V6 and AWD.

The hell with a pushrod Mustang. Give me a AWD twin turbo V6 one!

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If it does end up in a mustang I say it is due to cylinder deactivation. Either for emissions or mileage or both.

That is much easier with a single block mounted cam than a DOHC

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It will be interesting to see how they do it.

Next question is how hard will it be to defeat it.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I am thrilled to hear Ford is coming out with the Megazilla engine. Should be fun times a coming.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
There's definitely a market for big cubes. Anyone wondered why the Challenger is selling so well?
Also, it is no different to manufacturers sharing platforms for different vehicles; in this case the 7.3 was required for the F250, so why not make use of this small block?
Big cubes in a small(Ish) coupe is the definition of the original musclecar. It's an attractive proposition and I wouldn't be surprised if Ford wanted a piece of that pie. One-upmanship is a wonderful thing. A "lazy" 650hp 4xx would still have less mass than the Predator and all it's cooling system, certainly less top-heaviness.

I keep thinking about the direction they took with voodooo; the amount they spent on it was enough to make the standard coyote rev to 9k, and is it turned out, the voodoo only made 4hp more than the same with a cross plane crank. But, marketing the FPC was a win..

The point I'm making is, pushing the atmo 5 litre to the next level is what I want to see. I love the Freevalve tech.. A manufacturer in China uses it under licence and kudos to whoever else goes down that path.

I think we are going to see an atmo hybrid 5 litre for the next s.e.
...and who knows what else. I'm hoping it'll be an alloy 7 litre.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
A year and a half ago I finished restoring a '66 Corvette 427 BB coupe. Speaking of old 60's BB technology....man I love the torque that somebitch lays down. When I hit 4000 rpm's I'm fully satisfied to go ahead and shift to the next gear. It's an experience similar to having a twin screw or roots blower on a mod motor only different. My blown/stroked '05 will smoke that Corvette, but the 427 just has a personality of it's own. Love that N/A torque.
It's not only the torque, but throttle response. My pretty "slow" 430, 59 Bird's throttle response is 1000 times better than my TVS Coyote. The claim is drive by wire can be almost instantaneous, then why isn't it? Granted for this thread, it wouldn't be fixed by large displ elect throttle either, but it is a lot easier go back to mech throttle on a large V-8, than any ecoboost.
Sponsored