Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I've noticed that the naysayers have not come back to this thread.........?
Because a heck of a lot has happen in the past 2 1/2 years. The latest from C&D.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a... -- High Minus Dormant and 90 Day Non Openers

I found this interesting.

"The engineers explain that because this drivetrain runs on its own stand-alone ECU, it could be dropped into anything, from a Fifties pickup to a brand-new Mustang. The development crew picked this Shelby GT350 to use as a tester simply because they had it sitting around".
Sponsored

EdwardS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The 7.3 is an awesome motor when you throw a TSP cam and high rise in take on it. It responds to mods identically as an LS and the bottom end can support big power as well. But for a street car S550/S650 a boosted Coyote is still the way to go.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I might have been one of those "naysayers", but honestly, I've moved on from the S550. Sexy car, and I love the looks and performance. I just don't like the direction newer cars are going. I've decided to put my energy and money into older cars that have simpler systems, and are easier to work on.

I could see myself getting a GT350 though.

But dropping the 7.3 into this car is the definition of hot rodding. Wasn't designed to be there, but if someone can make it work, go build your dream car.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Stock engine was probably blown. :wink:
I don't doubt it at all. Voodoo's don't have the best reputation. Ford probably just used it because of the better chassis.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
anyone who does it, better be an eco or v6, no one with a coyote is doing this dumb shit
if I end up with the money I'll buy a second Mach 1 and do it.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Mostly just bored with it. Nothing about the ford “what we had laying around” car and army of engineers involved really changed anything I’ve posted about the 7.3 converted s550. The electronics will still make this impractical for anything but a race car. And when you already have stock long-block coyotes running 8’s and stock long-block predators making well over 1000 rwhp, it’s hard to argue a step backward in technology and airflow is warranted for increased robustness and raw cid.

Oh, and I made a prediction a couple hundred pages ago that the op would never have a running 7.3-converted s550 and I was correct. If he had taken my advice he would have been enjoying a coyote or even supercharged coyote this whole time.
Electronics are already solved.......actually cheaper than the Coyote.
1,000 hp Coyotes are far more costly unless you want a ticking time bomb with multiple fuses all lit at the same time.
The 7.3 has started a challenge within a few aftermarket builders.......
Who can be the first to make 1,000 hp naturally aspirated while using factory heads - block - crank?
I can honestly tell you that 850 hp was achieved about two months ago.........
That's a very extreme high end build for a Coyote and remain NA.
Variable valve timing in a high hp application with the huge amount of tq is not needed.
Just treat the 7.3 like a fuel injected SBF.........much cheaper than anything derived from the mod motor.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Electronics are already solved.......
What electronics are you talking about? The stand-alone control pack that makes the dump truck motor run in anything? Or the interfaces, programming, and harnesses that integrates the dump truck control pack into the digital backbone in the s550 and interfaces with the myriad of other modules? One of these may be available some day…. If the second one is “solved already”, please show me where an individual can purchase one.

Variable valve timing in a high hp application with the huge amount of tq is not needed.
Sooo you’re saying that the vvt system on the 7.3 should be deleted?

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
What electronics are you talking about? The stand-alone control pack that makes the dump truck motor run in anything? Or the interfaces, programming, and harnesses that integrates the dump truck control pack into the digital backbone in the s550 and interfaces with the myriad of other modules? One of these may be available some day…. If the second one is “solved already”, please show me where an individual can purchase one.

Sooo you’re saying that the vvt system on the 7.3 should be deleted?
Yea......the vvt is not needed by any means.

As for electronics........there are now several that will run it.
Aftermarket jumped all over the 7.3 just as a few of us said they would.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Yea......the vvt is not needed by any means.
“Needed” no, but even the 7.3 benefits from a wider power range with vvt. Though it can’t help the 7.3 as much because the exhaust cam lobes go the wrong way when you retard the intake at high rpm.

As for electronics........there are now several that will run it.
Aftermarket jumped all over the 7.3 just as a few of us said they would.
Electronics to run it was never the concern. A few hours with mega squirt will make the thing run. Integrating into the digital backbone and myriad of control modules in the s550 is the reason most won’t do this swap.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Aftermarket jumped all over the 7.3 just as a few of us said they would
Was that b4 or after you clicked your ruby red heels together 3 times ? Instead of giving your head a shake.. just slap urself. You should ask yourself, why can Chevrolet make a 700hp+ 5.4 liter DOHC naturally aspirated V8 and FORD can only do 400hp with 7.3 liters. That heavier, slower, and need a shit-ton of parts/money just to be competitive with the 5.4 chevy or 5.0 coyote.
Sponsored