Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Apples to filet mignon comparison. The DOHC going into the Corvette Z06 is going into a $100k halo sports car. The 7.3L was built for truck duty, with a side benefit of gathering a lot of aftermarket support.

A better comparison would be the 3.5L ecoboost in the Ford GT. Still a NA application vs forced induction, but two engines with a lot of technology thrown at it in an attempt for maximum HP.
Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Apples to filet mignon comparison. The DOHC going into the Corvette Z06 is going into a $100k halo sports car. The 7.3L was built for truck duty, with a side benefit of gathering a lot of aftermarket support.

A better comparison would be the 3.5L ecoboost in the Ford GT. Still a NA application vs forced induction, but two engines with a lot of technology thrown at it in an attempt for maximum HP.
I could honestly see an aluminum Block boosted 7.3 as a great replacement for the Ford GT. It would probably fit because it is so narrow, and could make double the power than the V6 easily.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I could honestly see an aluminum Block boosted 7.3 as a great replacement for the Ford GT. It would probably fit because it is so narrow, and could make double the power than the V6 easily.
I highly doubt any GT owner would do this as it would kill the resale value. Most of these cars are garage queens anyway. But it’s an intriguing idea. :like:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I highly doubt any GT owner would do this as it would kill the resale value. Most of these cars are garage queens anyway. But it’s an intriguing idea. :like:
If I had one, I would be the guy to do it. It would be the only 1500HP new Generation GT. Oh how I hate V6's.......

Last edited:

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
What electronics are you talking about? The stand-alone control pack that makes the dump truck motor run in anything? Or the interfaces, programming, and harnesses that integrates the dump truck control pack into the digital backbone in the s550 and interfaces with the myriad of other modules? One of these may be available some day…. If the second one is “solved already”, please show me where an individual can purchase one.

Sooo you’re saying that the vvt system on the 7.3 should be deleted?
Everything in the GT350 test mule worked. That means that the chassis/control pack stuff is all the same with different options turned on/off. Forescan should be able to access the correct options and make everything in the car work relatively easily.

Sponsored

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Electronics to run it was never the concern. A few hours with mega squirt will make the thing run. Integrating into the digital backbone and myriad of control modules in the s550 is the reason most won’t do this swap.
Due to the displacement and dimensions of the 7.3L I suspect the swap will be of particular interest to folks who are hyper-focused on straight line racing. When it comes to integrating the engine management system with the factory CAN system that could be accomplished by using a Motec M1 series ECU with custom firmware. Fathouse Fabrication has done a very good job developing the firmware that they use in their max effort twin turbo builds.

I think the 7.3L will be a more desirable option for restomod builders that want a modern powerplant but have limited space between the shock towers. Why anybody would want to swap one into an S550 without very good reason doesn't make any sense to me.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Why anybody would want to swap one into an S550 without very good reason doesn't make any sense to me.
To compete with the BBC's and the hemi's in the no prep world.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I would love for Ford to make a aluminum block, double overhead cam, TiVVC heads for the 7.3 engine.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Due to the displacement and dimensions of the 7.3L I suspect the swap will be of particular interest to folks who are hyper-focused on straight line racing.
Or those that don't want to deal with the extra cooling usually required (over say a 500-550 WHP NA 7.3), for forced induction on road courses (even longer length X-cross's).

And can probably get 450-500 gross HP easy (with minimal timing) on regular gas with a 7.3 too. My 20 year old 496 in my boat was rated 425/490, and that was a LONG time ago (have used only 87 octane since the beginning). CI still rules (certainly still easier overall, if package size and weight works).

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
If I was looking for an engine for a swap, I'd probably go with the LSX 454. It's small, relatively light and puts out 620 hp. Comes with all hardware for $13k.
Sponsored