Sponsored

Need advice: EB PP vs GT PP

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
Don’t even have a 2nd thought about this OP. I was kidding myself when I said ill be fine with a V6 because I don’t need a v8, at the time I was fine with it because a V6 Mustang would still be the fastest car I ever had.

Fast forward a few months later and I was trying to trade it in for a GT, failed and I think I may be stuck with my car for a long time.

If you get the EB and a GT pulls up next to you, you’re going to feel humiliation. If get the EB and someone asks you what engine it is, you’re going to feel humiliation. When you go on forums or on youtube comments, you’re going to feel humiliation.

It seems like you have the money for a GT, get it… I’m trying to save you from humiliation.
Dude you had me rolling!! LOL!

I once had the EB and trust me, there were PLENTY of times I felt that humiliation!

Hillarious and that's exactly how I felt lol

But yeah, if you can afford the V8 go for it. If not just get the EB/V6.. the V8 is not cheap especially if you're young (insurance) and if you're cash flow isn't so great.
Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
If you like to do modding than no Mustang will be a bad choice for you. You will have fun and be rewarded with any little thing you do. The V6 engine mods are a little behind the EB and GT, but the essentials are there and are catching up.

As for best bang for your buck, we can pull out the old calculator to see what that has to say. (All base prices are an average for what can be found in my area. They may be more or less in your area)

Base V6 = 300hp
Base V6 price = 21500
Price per HP = $71.66

Base EB = 310hp
Base EB Price = 24500
Price per HP = $79.03

Base GT = 435hp
Base GT price = 29000
Price per HP = $66.66

So the best bang for your buck ends up being the GT. But there's still the up front price gap. There are other differences between the 3, like interiors, materials, bells and whistles. Many of which you cant even get on the V6. But you just have to find out what's more important to you. Weigh your options, look over the engine mod forums for each engine, see what people are doing. Go through the TSB/issues sections. Listen to how exhausts sound. Look over eBay and online stores to see what fun parts are available.

One thing to remember about getting a base model version of the V6/EB/GT.... There's always someone who got the performance pack that upgraded away from those parts. PP parts can be pretty easy and affordable to obtain. So if your base model doesn't have it, it can always be added later ;) Leather wasn't even an option for my V6, but I can find lots of leather take-offs for around $350 (far cheaper than from Ford).

Kev2Chops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Mustang GT PP Premium
Might be a little far into this thread but I just got a 2016 Gt premium PP coming for an 2015 EB Premium PP, which I had for a year. Unfortunately the "Ecoboom" had over 11k warranty repairs so i went ahead and got rid of it out of fear because every previous problem was always the "last" one. I did love my ecoboost though! it does feel more nimble, MPG was great although (not a huge deal), and the power band is very different between the two although it was very very fun in a different way. As for the GT, it is heavier and you can feel it, the power band is way different with the higher peak Tq and Hp to where i have trouble gauging how fast I'm going (oops), although i do feel that these brakes are a lot more touchy although it could be because they are new. The PP for me was a must as I was not pleased with how a regular gt drove, not bad, just not what I was hoping for after being spoiled by the EB's weight and PP.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I recommend a GTPP also. It's just a better car.More power, more upgrade potential, insane brakes, 3:73 gears..you just can't beat it.

Last post I read was asking about insurance. Dunno if anyone else answered it, but it's all dependent on your age and driving record. I'm 36 with a ticket within the last three years and an at fault accident (I guess...wrecked in snow but no other vehicles involved) and mine went up about 100/month. I think your credit score is also involved. My scores ranged from 780 to 810. That might be what saved me from an even bigger rate hike.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I recommend a GTPP also. It's just a better car.More power, more upgrade potential, insane brakes, 3:73 gears..you just can't beat it.

Last post I read was asking about insurance. Dunno if anyone else answered it, but it's all dependent on your age and driving record. I'm 36 with a ticket within the last three years and an at fault accident (I guess...wrecked in snow but no other vehicles involved) and mine went up about 100/month. I think your credit score is also involved. My scores ranged from 780 to 810. That might be what saved me from an even bigger rate hike.
Ya the same for me. I am 37 years old, clean record and mine went up an EXTRA $1,602 a year from what I was paying on my 2015 WRX. I called Progressive yesterday and they gave me some bullshit about being a state thing and what VA requires them to charge and how they have to pass it to the customers. While the WRX wasn't a coupe, or a V8 and I did have it modded well past it's factory rated power, the value was no different. I could understand maybe a few hundred dollars increase but +$1,600..

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Another reason I guess I wasn't caring about the V8 when I got mine is I've been there and done that. I've had everything from a 3000GT VR4 to a 2003 Cobra to a 98 Firebird Formula with a built LQ9 and a home made MPT70 turbo kit. The 5.0 is nice but I would have way more mod itch than I do now with the EB. Its nice to have some pep in it but know that I can't get real serious numbers out of it without going absolutely crazy so I'm more likely to leave it alone (within reason haha).

Ya the same for me. I am 37 years old, clean record and mine went up an EXTRA $1,602 a year from what I was paying on my 2015 WRX. I called Progressive yesterday and they gave me some bullshit about being a state thing and what VA requires them to charge and how they have to pass it to the customers. While the WRX wasn't a coupe, or a V8 and I did have it modded well past it's factory rated power, the value was no different. I could understand maybe a few hundred dollars increase but +$1,600..
Yeah my insurance has doubled in the last 2 years, zero accidents, zero tickets. Ever. In my whole life. Every other company I call is about the same price range, they say its "because of the state".

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Another reason I guess I wasn't caring about the V8 when I got mine is I've been there and done that. I've had everything from a 3000GT VR4 to a 2003 Cobra to a 98 Firebird Formula with a built LQ9 and a home made MPT70 turbo kit. The 5.0 is nice but I would have way more mod itch than I do now with the EB. Its nice to have some pep in it but know that I can't get real serious numbers out of it without going absolutely crazy so I'm more likely to leave it alone (within reason haha).

Yeah my insurance has doubled in the last 2 years, zero accidents, zero tickets. Ever. In my whole life. Every other company I call is about the same price range, they say its "because of the state".
Ya. Funny thing is I just called GEICO and got more coverage for even less than I was paying before the Mustang. So Progressive is just full of shit.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Ya. Funny thing is I just called GEICO and got more coverage for even less than I was paying before the Mustang. So Progressive is just full of shit.
Interesting! I priced Geico and it was more than what I am paying with State Farm. I am old and have had State Farm for 36 years.

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
insurance is such a scam..
Until you need it

I'm with State Farm, just turned 30, no tickets ever, last accident was 4 years ago (only involved my car. Went over a terrible curb) and have a V6. I pay about $1,250 a year :doh:

BiloxiFun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Package

My insurance hasn't doubled but I have been a state farm customer for over 10 years, have crazy discounts, and my insurance is higher than a lot of places.. My state stinks for insurance. So, it is possible yours is the reason for high insurance as well. It appears those plains states have the cheapest! I pay $1600 full coverage a year on two vehicles.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Interesting! I priced Geico and it was more than what I am paying with State Farm. I am old and have had State Farm for 36 years.
You really can't compare insurance prices. It varies widely from one county to another. Insurance is typically based on how many accidents in your area and how litigious the area you live in is.

I live in the middle of nowhere. 5 cars, full coverage for 2100 per year. I called Geico and they wanted double.

To the OP. Not sure why you would come to a forum and ask strangers advice on which to get. I would never own a Mustang that was not a V8 but that is me. You need to make your own decision as none of us know how you will use it and we each have our own bias.

Good Luck!

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I had a 400 AWHP Evo X. While it handled like it was on rails, it just never had that bite you in the ass blast to drive like a V8 with less or the same HP. It has a lot to do with when and how the power comes on, at least to me. My GT is the first NA car I've owned since my 1998 cobra, and as of right now I plan to keep it that way. I'll list my "fun" cars at the bottom that I've had since the 1998. Turbo cars are cool, and if they can handle the power, can be a lot of fun. IMO though, for a factory 4-cyl turbo car to be as fun as a NA V8 of the same model, you are going to need about 100 more HP than the V8. That is just my experience. It just comes down to how and when the power comes on.

• 1998 Cobra
  • 2004 Cobra "Medusa" Whipple-fully built-aluminum block--pure sex
  • 2009 BMW 135i..Full on blast..full on modded..427 RWHP
  • 2014 Evo X - Thousands and thousands spent on this thing to get to a safe 400 awhp
  • 2014 GT500 - Hated to get it dusty, so it lived under a cover in my garage.. So I sold it for something that I could have fun with, and not stress over.
  • 2016 GT.. This thing is just all fun.

OP
OP
proj_vulpix

proj_vulpix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
Until you need it

I'm with State Farm, just turned 30, no tickets ever, last accident was 4 years ago (only involved my car. Went over a terrible curb) and have a V6. I pay about $1,250 a year :doh:
I should've stated NYC insurance is a scam, I know people squeaky clean paying over 2400 a year..
Sponsored