Sponsored

Need advice: EB PP vs GT PP

CM581978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future S550 Owner
Seeing that you are in NY, both PP models come with summer tires, so you're going to have to swap those puppies out unless you are already going to or have a beater car. Also, if you have plans as far as upgraded forced induction is concerned, maybe consider not going with the PP as both come with different gearing vs the other models.

Hey all, new to the forums here been interested in getting a new mustang.

Test drove both EB and GT both PP and still a bit undecided.

Things i loved about the EB- Brakes were phenomenal stopping power wise.. even though the gt had the same brakes the EB felt like it stopped quicker..Boost was quick & responsive.

Things i hated i felt empty around 4500 rpm like.. that's all you got?

Things i loved about GT power throughout felt amazing genuinely had fun.

Things I hated pretty much the suspension aspect of the car drove me nuts for the two minutes i drove her, brakes diddnt feel as responsive..

If i do decide to get the EB i would get a bigger turbo right away.

if i get a GT the plan would be suspension work and down the line do a TT or Whipple.

Any input would be great :D
Sponsored

JDAlphin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost and 1999 GT
Unless you never have an intention of looking at a GT, you have to go with the GT. The doubt will ALWAYS exist if you don't.
I'm feeling that right now... I think the only saving graces I have with my Ecoboost currently is the fact that it gets great gas mileage and that I have a 99 GT sitting in my driveway as my project/v8 car. I've only had my EBM about a month, but I'm already itching to trade it for a Coyote. I keep seeing them go by...stock, just exhaust, full bolt ons, built, etc., and I keep feeling like I rushed my purchase. My "want to buy" mod list has grown and grown since I got the car, but I keep having a hard time justifying the purchases of the various parts I want. What's the point when you start stretching the limitations of the stock 2.3 around 350-380 wheel when I could take that money instead and throw it at my GT or use it as a down payment on a coyote and make a fair bit more HP?

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
If there's not a financial concern, there's almost no doubt I'd go GT. You also indicate you're into the driving experience, maybe some A/X, track events, sounds like a GT PP.

I will say the 5.0L + 3:73 gears will cost you a few MPGs, that could accumulate if you have a long daily commute. Also, that gearing with the low RPM, immediate torque of a PD setup like a Whipple is a bit of a handful :D

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Many EB owners traded in for a GT...even Subaruwrxfan had an EB for a month and got a GT. I have a V6 and want a GT.

Best thing to do. Get a GT.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
If money wasn't an object, OP would be buying a GT350... or a 911 GT3. But, since it is, the added running costs and insurance costs should be considered.

I'd still get the GT. In fact, if I didn't get the GT I would get a different vehicle entirely.

Sponsored

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Get the GT. Much more reliable, much more potential.
The ecoboost brakes feel better because it's a little lighter.

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
If your looking for flat out speed and need the V8 soundtrack get the GT. If you want a good performer all across the board and enjoy boosted 4cylinders get the Ecoboost. Just be prepared when a GT does pull up next to you at a light you might feel inadequate by about 4cyl...lol

Its all about what you want man..there both great cars:thumbsup:
Truth!!

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Seeing that you are in NY, both PP models come with summer tires, so you're going to have to swap those puppies out unless you are already going to or have a beater car.
^ this

Set of all seasons on PP cars will set you back another grand.

I wouldn't mod an EB to get GT level power and risk the warranty. Like it as it is, otherwise get a base GT and keep your warranty.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I have never driven the EB and have nothing against it or anybody who buys one. To me, I couldn't care less what anybody owns. But wow, I couldn't imagine not owning the GT. EVERY single time I get in that thing I can't stop smiling. Heck, I barely ever use the radio because I'd rather listen to that exhaust!!!

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
So I do want to use this car as a DD but also have future plans in doing some track time. But i just genuinely want to have fun driving it whenever i take her out. I may decide to get a cheap awd for those snowy days tho.
For what it's worth, I daily my PP GT in Michigan. Set of winter tires/shoes and it was good to go. Also is dailied 50ish miles round trip each day - the 3.73s do come at the cost of a little mileage if you're doing all highway driving but are a lot more fun than the 3.55s I had in my 14 IMO. For me the PP and 5.0 was a no brainer. I too like to have fun each time I take it out whether it is going to work, running to the store, or just cruising. All I needed to add to the PP was an exhaust and I am very happy for now. Good luck - the brakes on the PP are also phenomenal...when I took my first test drive I couldn't believe how well they stopped. If you didn't truly drive a PP GT, do yourself a favor and go find one.

Several people have traded their Ecoboost for GTs, but still have not found anyone that traded their GT for an Ecoboost.

That tells the story.
Preach lol :amen:

Sponsored

Fraye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
If the first thing you think of when you drive an EB is "how can I make more POWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHH????" then just get a GT.

OP
OP
proj_vulpix

proj_vulpix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
If there's not a financial concern, there's almost no doubt I'd go GT. You also indicate you're into the driving experience, maybe some A/X, track events, sounds like a GT PP.

I will say the 5.0L + 3:73 gears will cost you a few MPGs, that could accumulate if you have a long daily commute. Also, that gearing with the low RPM, immediate torque of a PD setup like a Whipple is a bit of a handful :D
haha i have 4.10's in my 06gt right now with a vortech HO kit and love the power all the way through.

Gas is a killer though...but I like to look at it as smiles per gallon.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I'm feeling that right now... I think the only saving graces I have with my Ecoboost currently is the fact that it gets great gas mileage and that I have a 99 GT sitting in my driveway as my project/v8 car. I've only had my EBM about a month, but I'm already itching to trade it for a Coyote. I keep seeing them go by...stock, just exhaust, full bolt ons, built, etc., and I keep feeling like I rushed my purchase. My "want to buy" mod list has grown and grown since I got the car, but I keep having a hard time justifying the purchases of the various parts I want. What's the point when you start stretching the limitations of the stock 2.3 around 350-380 wheel when I could take that money instead and throw it at my GT or use it as a down payment on a coyote and make a fair bit more HP?
Want me to rain on your saving graces? :headbonk:

You have to run premium in your EB to even get the HP/TQ listed..otherwise you drop down to about 279 HP (lower then the V6 on regular).

The GT can run on regular just fine and only loses about 5 hp total...

So when you factor in your gas $ on filling up with premium vs the cost of filling up with regular, the GT actually gets about the same MPG for $ spent as the EB. The difference is something like 10 miles total.

The total cost difference over the year is like $100 between the EB on premium and the GT in traveled miles. Sure you have to fill up more in the GT but in the end, with the $ spent on premium you basically negate any MPG savings vs a GT running regular.

Right now premium is like .60 more then reg in my area. That extra $9 will buy you 4 more gallons of regular fuel in the GT. Adding up to about an additional 75 miles for same spent.

But yes if you run premium in both then your EB will get some better MPG.

OP
OP
proj_vulpix

proj_vulpix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP

You have to run premium in your EB to even get the HP/TQ listed..otherwise you drop down to about 279 HP (lower then the V6 on regular).

So when you factor in your gas $ on filling up with premium vs the cost of filling up with regular, the GT actually gets about the same MPG for $ spent as the EB. The difference is something like 10 miles total.

The total cost difference over the year is like $100 between the EB on premium and the GT in traveled miles. Sure you have to fill up more in the GT but in the end, with the $ spent on premium you basically negate any MPG savings vs a GT running regular.

Right now premium is like .60 more then reg in my area. That extra $9 will buy you 4 more gallons of regular fuel in the GT. Adding up to about an additional 75 miles for same spent.

I factored this in..I wasn't planning to run anything other than premium in either of my cars..except for my beater lol

JDAlphin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost and 1999 GT

You do have a point. What's the insurance difference between the EB and the GT?
Sponsored