Sponsored

Motor tick....

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Sounds to me like cam chain tensioners or guides. if you think of a motorcycle on a stand and look at the chain.. when you vary the throttle rpm the chain will tighten and loosen and the tensioners job is to keep the slack out so it doesn't slap around. I have an olc c4 zr1 with the Lotus LT5 and they make similar noises when the guides or tensioners are failing. just a guess but it seems like it happens when youre on and off the throttle which is where they will make noise.

Id go to the dealer asap.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Alright so I drove 50 miles today with the lucas additive and dropped out about a half quart and the noise was greatly reduced.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Sounds to me like cam chain tensioners or guides. if you think of a motorcycle on a stand and look at the chain.. when you vary the throttle rpm the chain will tighten and loosen and the tensioners job is to keep the slack out so it doesn't slap around. I have an olc c4 zr1 with the Lotus LT5 and they make similar noises when the guides or tensioners are failing. just a guess but it seems like it happens when youre on and off the throttle which is where they will make noise.

Id go to the dealer asap.
I had a time chain tensioner go bad on a s2000 that i had and it sounded rough, this sounds different from. I know what yours talking about on the bike I had a r6 and it had that before, but in person the sound is very different. The miles are low and im surprised it would be the chain. I will take it to dealer.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Motors are noisy. Mine ticks a little bit. Oil analysis came back amazing. Not worried. But mine sounds different than yours.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Ironically, yesterday morning a friend with a brand new Fiesta ST sent me a video of his sub 500 mile car knocking like a freight train. Glad to hear its quieting up.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
When you changed your oil did you fill the filter before installing?

Imo there is nothing wrong with the oil, and no treatment actually fixed anything. Many people report this problem after changing oil, and then a few hundred miles driven it goes away. You should here a brand new factory engine the first time its fired up. Horrible noises all over the place.

But as said when in doubt take it to the dealership under warranty.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
When you changed your oil did you fill the filter before installing?

Imo there is nothing wrong with the oil, and no treatment actually fixed anything. Many people report this problem after changing oil, and then a few hundred miles driven it goes away. You should here a brand new factory engine the first time its fired up. Horrible noises all over the place.

But as said when in doubt take it to the dealership under warranty.
Yeah I'm gonna wait it out for a couple of hundred miles. I appreciate your guys input and helping out!

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
resurrecting from the dead, i have noticed same tick. does your car still do this? seems to be low rpm around 1600-1800 noticed more in first and second gear prob due to exhaust volume but its making me super paranoid. ive been on this oil change for about 3-4k miles now and still have it. my first oil change i did with 5w-30 but this second one i did with 5w-20 so maybe the thicker oil helped? idk but im also in the middle of chasing what i hope is some inconsistent false knock so this noise has me more on edge. mine happens regardless if its just been started or fully warmed up. granted im in reno and its hot as balls lately

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
resurrecting from the dead, i have noticed same tick. does your car still do this? seems to be low rpm around 1600-1800 noticed more in first and second gear prob due to exhaust volume but its making me super paranoid. ive been on this oil change for about 3-4k miles now and still have it. my first oil change i did with 5w-30 but this second one i did with 5w-20 so maybe the thicker oil helped? idk but im also in the middle of chasing what i hope is some inconsistent false knock so this noise has me more on edge. mine happens regardless if its just been started or fully warmed up. granted im in reno and its hot as balls lately
I ended up getting a a new motor from the dealer. They had finally decided to open up the motor and when they did the crankshaft had double the clearance. So they replaced the motor for me.

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
I ended up getting a a new motor from the dealer. They had finally decided to open up the motor and when they did the crankshaft had double the clearance. So they replaced the motor for me.
well this is not good news for me and my modded gt..fak

were you modded at all when this happened/took it in?

Last edited:

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
well this is not good news for me and my modded gt..fak

were you modded at all when this happened/took it in?
Honestly the best thing to do is go to local car meets and talk to other mustang owners about which dealership they use. Different dealerships and different techs will treat modded cars differently. Since the damage isn't really tune related as stock tuned cars are having the same issued (mine included, except I got two ticking engines in a row), you shouldn't have many issues so long as you find a good dealership. There's another user on one of the other ticking forum posts that had the full "intake man, tune, e85, longtubes" package and they still got him a new shortblock when his started ticking.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Hey Enzo, you should chime in on the issues warranty and tsb threads. Way too many people think that motor ticks are normal. I had identical sound to yours and the dealer said they couldn't hear it. Ended up getting rid of the car, but your first hand experience would be nice to hear in the ticking issue threads.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Did they say how many of the crankshaft journals & bearings where out of clearance spec? Any rod bearings out of spec?

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys I will write up a detailed report of what actually happened and I'll see if I can get a report from the dealer. I did sell my car about a year ago and will probably pick up a 18 or possibly a 19 towards end of year or Q1 of 19.
Sponsored