Mustang tick?

Zotor124

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zotoro
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2015
Hello , I have mustang gt 2015 and I wounder is this famous "ticking" or just normal engine operating sound. Is very constant sound. (This two cliping sound at beggining is my microphone)
Sponsored

Last edited:

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Thats barely noticeable. Honestly that had a lighter tick that my 2019. I just used the ford 10-30 track spec oil and never worried about it. Ran like a dream.

OP
OP

Zotor124

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zotoro
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2015
Thats barely noticeable. Honestly that had a lighter tick that my 2019. I just used the ford 10-30 track spec oil and never worried about it. Ran like a dream.
Here is another video . It is constant and not like i hear on yt but IwI to be sure that is not tick.
Auto have 40k miles and im using 5w20

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sounds normal to me. These engines are noisy. The camshaft phasers and variable valve timing system has different profiles for different engine states, and some of them seem to create more resonance and interesting sounds than others. Until there's a new noise that you haven't heard before, don't let it bother you.

stang980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zurual
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Hello , I have mustang gt 2015 and I wounder is this famous "ticking" or just normal engine operating sound. Is very constant sound. (This two cliping sound at beggining is my microphone)

Sounds pretty good to me. I had a catastrophic engine failure at 14000 miles due to a loud engine noise. Cruising down road, in sixth gear (manual), the engine failed and dumped all 10 qts of my oil out the exhaust. It had been to the dealer, making the noise in the below video, 3 times. The dealer refused to fix it before the failure. Finally got a new long block this week and noise is gone. This is what mine sounded like. Hear the difference?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Zotor124

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zotoro
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2015
Sounds pretty good to me. I had a catastrophic engine failure at 14000 miles due to a loud engine noise. Cruising down road, in sixth gear (manual), the engine failed and dumped all 10 qts of my oil out the exhaust. It had been to the dealer, making the noise in the below video, 3 times. The dealer refused to fix it before the failure. Finally got a new long block this week and noise is gone. This is what mine sounded like. Hear the difference?

Yes , that sound totaly different. Mine is very quiet and its sound like some plastic is shaking ( maybe it is) and it is very quiet. I can only hear it under the car, otherwise i cant.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The first engine is super healthy; perfectly normal valvetrain noise. And as stated, it's actually on the quiet side. Mine is quiet as well, but only 300 miles; hope it stays that way :D.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Mine was super quiet until about 2400 miles. That was about the time I started hearing the tick occasionally on cold starts. Car burns zero oil and traps in the low 120’s. It has a 10 year/100k powertrain warranty.

stang980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zurual
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Mine was super quiet until about 2400 miles. That was about the time I started hearing the tick occasionally on cold starts. Car burns zero oil and traps in the low 120’s. It has a 10 year/100k powertrain warranty.
Was 2400 miles when you changed the oil? My experience and the experience of many other Coyote owners is the noises start after first oil change. I'm on my second engine now and I think I'm going to do it a bit differently. My first oil change, at 1k miles, is going to be 5W50 straight away. My first engine, I let Ford change it (it was free) and they put in the typical 5W20. The noises were immediate.

I actually called Ford Performance and spoke to one of their techs. He advised me to always use 5w50, not the recommended 5w20. I'm sure there's varying opinions on this. But since this is my second engine, I figured i'd try it.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
MInes ticks pretty loud at startup. On mine the tech said it was the injectors (they're not stock) ticking and nothing to worry about. Which lines up with the fact I use 5w50 and certech and it still ticks.

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Was 2400 miles when you changed the oil? My experience and the experience of many other Coyote owners is the noises start after first oil change. I'm on my second engine now and I think I'm going to do it a bit differently. My first oil change, at 1k miles, is going to be 5W50 straight away. My first engine, I let Ford change it (it was free) and they put in the typical 5W20. The noises were immediate.

I actually called Ford Performance and spoke to one of their techs. He advised me to always use 5w50, not the recommended 5w20. I'm sure there's varying opinions on this. But since this is my second engine, I figured i'd try it.
I did first change @ 3400 miles. Again at 5900 and 9400. Run PUP 5w-30. Been on E85 tune since 400 miles.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm going to switch to M1 5/30 (or most likely 0/30, for better cold lubrication) at the first oil change at 1K miles. In fact, my engine already had that change :D.
Bullitt 5-30 oil.JPG

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Yeah I would approach it differently. For starters, I really think changing at 1000 is too early. 3000 miles minimum for a first change makes more sense to me. The metal shavings everyone is so concerned about will get trapped in the filter. Not only that, but the fancy cylinder liners that they use may very well break in more easily with the factory fill over a couple thousand miles.

Secondly, 5W50 makes sense for track oriented use, but not for daily use. It will take much longer to get to the valvetrain than a thinner oil, especially at colder temperatures. If you want to split the difference, just go with a 5W30. That's a safe compromise between making sure the engine gets oiled quickly while resisting high temperature degradation.

Just my opinion though, it's your car so you do what you think is best. That's just the strategy I've stuck to after all my researching.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm actually going to switch to M1 0/30, for an even better 'compromise' :D. BUT the question is when. I'm at only 300 miles now. Does anybody know what kind of oil is the factory fill for GTs? My Bullitt has some GT350 parts, but assume it has the same oil as GTs. Not sure if it's a special 'break in' oil, or just the run of the mill semi-synthetic Motorcraft, and which grade. Does anybody know for a fact what it is? Thx.

Like many here, I was also thinking of changing it at 1K miles, but not set on that yet. I usually do it between 1K and 3K. On my 3.5EB truck, did it at 3K.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
If I had a dollar for every Mustang tick thread on this forum.
Sponsored